MSM Articles on exemptions rising/tightening - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-10-2014, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

It seems more and more articles are coming out on the exemption rates, and how 'alarming' they are, and how states are trying to figure out ways to tighten exemptions

Quote:
Marin County seeing rise in unvaccinated school children

I'd like the know where all the outbreaks are in this school..if the exemption rate has been high all along, and now going higher, where are the outbreaks?

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20140208/OPINION03/302080050/The-Register-s-Editorial-s-time-tighten-access-vaccination-exemptions

Quote:
The Register's Editorial: It's time to tighten access to vaccination exemptions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2014, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

Ugh it makes me cringe every time I see this.  DD will be 3 in Nov and hopefully in a full time pre-school program and our plan is to use religious exemption.  I'd love to use medical - but we left the original pediatrician who denied her reaction occurred and as far as I know a ND can't sign off in CT.  We see how they've "tightened" things in NY and made a mockery of the whole notion of exemptions by trying to deter people with as many hoops as possible....really hope it doesn't come to that here.  DH would kill me but I'd leave work altogether and homeschool if that's what it came down to.  Pretty sad.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)

There is an obvious agenda going on here.

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
Old 02-10-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmy526 View Post

I'd like the know where all the outbreaks are in this school..if the exemption rate has been high all along, and now going higher, where are the outbreaks?

This is the problem they have when trying to equate exemptions to outbreaks, they can't. Hence the silence. Same in Boulder Co, CO. 

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
Old 02-10-2014, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Why are they writing the article now? The data they are using was made public in the spring of 2013. Nothing has happened at the school mentioned. Obviously they have an agenda, and are not just reporting on the news.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)

Propaganda:

Quote:
 the spreading of ideas, information, or rumor for the purpose of helping or injuring an institution, a cause, or a person

Do you wonder why all mainstream news channels, newspapers, magazines, tv shows, and even movies, all promote the same vaccine agenda? Do you notice the effort to demonize the people who don't vaccinate?

Think about it. Every single outlet is aligned with the same theory--that vaccines are good, and the unvaccinated crowd is endangering the herd. This serves to divide people, and frighten people into vaccinating--or risk becoming a social outcast, which is a true fear for many people. You must understand that all mainstream news and entertainment outlets are owned by a small group of corporations. They are able to control what information goes out, and what information is withheld.

If you think about it, what would You do if you were in charge of a popular magazine?  Would you promote articles about the benefits of crying it out, spanking, or circumcising? Or would your magazine resemble something like Mothering? What if you ran a company that was in charge of a magazine and a few tv networks? Would you try to use your influence to promote issues that were important to you? Of course! I surely would!

So, if a handful of huge corporations own the many tv and media outlets, it makes sense that they all promote vaccines. What I can't stand is the way they all attempt to create this vaccine war.  It is created, it is working, and they have labeled us as the public enemy #1.

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

Old 02-10-2014, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyBird View Post

Propaganda:

Quote:
 the spreading of ideas, information, or rumor for the purpose of helping or injuring an institution, a cause, or a person

Do you wonder why all mainstream news channels, newspapers, magazines, tv shows, and even movies, all promote the same vaccine agenda? Do you notice the effort to demonize the people who don't vaccinate?

Of course they promote the same agenda; after all the CDC has an Entertainment Education program that

"provides expert consultation, education and resources for writers and producers who develop scripts with health storylines and information. Because 88% of Americans learn about health issues from television, CDC recognizes that prime time and daytime television programing are great outlets for our health messages. The CDC works in partnership with Hollywood, Health & SocietyExternal Web Site Icon (HH&S) at the University of Southern California’s Norman Lear Center to share public health information with storyline creators."

From: http://www.cdc.gov/healthcommunication/ToolsTemplates/EntertainmentEd/index.html

At the bottom of this page there's a picture of a movie poster for Contagion. The Vigilant Citizen site had a pretty good analysis of this movie called, "‘Contagion’ or How Disaster Movies “Educate” the Masses":

"Directed by Steven Soderbergh, Contagion was produced with the active cooperation of the CDC, the WHO and other governmental organizations and its function is clear: To present a hyper-realistic disaster scenario to justify the vaccination campaigns promoted by these agencies while discrediting those who criticize them.

Nothing in the movie hints that it is a work of fiction. Quite to the contrary, everything in Contagion is made to be as realistic as possible, using actual locations and governmental agencies, to make the story as plausible – and as frightening to the masses – as possible"

From "How 'Contagion' spread to the big screen":

"CDC not only allowed filmmakers to spend a day shooting "on campus," but senior scientists spent a day with Winslet to help her prepare for the role. Winslet's main guide at CDC was Dr. Anne Schuchat, who led the agency's response to the H1N1 pandemic"

Also:

Schuchat says the CDC is trying to move toward more openness. "The more we focus on transparency, the more credibility we have."

:rotflmao

Old 02-10-2014, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Do you remember when Kathleen Sebelius said that Health and Human Services "reached out" to media outlets? http://www.rd.com/health/wellness/h1n1-the-report-card/

"We have reached out to media outlets to try to get them to not give the views of these people equal weight in their reporting to what science has shown and continues to show about the safety of vaccines."

Well, there's obviously some reaching out still going on because reporters, (I no longer call them journalists), are writing like they got stuck with some assignment that they knew nothing about and were too lazy to research.

The Iowa article in the OP was a perfect example, blaming the unvaccinated for whooping cough and stating erroneously that Iowa has "personal and religious" exemptions when the state only allows for religious.

Here's another gem written by someone who must have heard, "Hey, whip up a story about anti-vax crazies, will ya? I need it in an hour." http://magicvalley.com/news/opinion/editorial/our-view-anti-vaccination-freeloaders-endanger-us-all/article_ab1cc51e-79b4-11e3-a968-0019bb2963f4.html

You'll love this one. Are you ready? Pour yourself a strong drink first so that you can enjoy the dramatic spit-take that you're about to do:

"Fresh measles outbreaks now are sweeping across Wakefield’s native Great Britain, and tuberculosis is having a resurgence in the U.S."

Tuberculosis???? dizzy.gif

duh.gif

While they're at it, they can just blame "anti-vaxxers" for global warming, snow blizzards, and cars breaking down.

Excuse me, but how is anybody expecting any credibility when they can't get their most rudimentary facts straight?

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Old 02-11-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post

Do you remember when Kathleen Sebelius said that Health and Human Services "reached out" to media outlets? http://www.rd.com/health/wellness/h1n1-the-report-card/

"We have reached out to media outlets to try to get them to not give the views of these people equal weight in their reporting to what science has shown and continues to show about the safety of vaccines."

Well, there's obviously some reaching out still going on because reporters, (I no longer call them journalists), are writing like they got stuck with some assignment that they knew nothing about and were too lazy to research.

Whenever I see a news story that gets picked up and regurgitated practically word-for-word with all the major mainstream media outlets, I can practically smell the agenda-pushing going on behind the scenes.

Looks like pro-vaccine organizations have taken a page from Operation Mockingbird's playbook on how to create a media echo chamber for their favorite talking points.

This recently happened with news stories highlighting the increase in liver damage from taking supplements.

However, what wasn't front page news is the fact that most of the cases are the result of prescription or over-the-counter drugs!

Over about an eight-year period from 2004 through 2012, reported cases of hepatotoxicity caused by any type of drugs, including prescription medications, more than doubled, according to Victor Navarro, MD [...]

[T]he proportion of cases caused by dietary and herbal supplements increased from 7% to 20% (P<0.001), Navarro reported at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases.

BUT:

Of those, 136 (or 16%) were attributed to an herbal or dietary supplement while the remaining 709 were considered to be the result of prescription or over-the-counter drugs. 

While they're at it, they can just blame "anti-vaxxers" for global warming, snow blizzards, and cars breaking down.

Please don't give them any ideas. :lol

Old 02-11-2014, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicharronita View Post

Whenever I see a news story that gets picked up and regurgitated practically word-for-word with all the major mainstream media outlets, I can practically smell the agenda-pushing going on behind the scenes.

Looks like pro-vaccine organizations have taken a page from Operation Mockingbird's playbook on how to create a media echo chamber for their favorite talking points.

This recently happened with news stories highlighting the increase in liver damage from taking supplements.

However, what wasn't front page news is the fact that most of the cases are the result of prescription or over-the-counter drugs!

Over about an eight-year period from 2004 through 2012, reported cases of hepatotoxicity caused by any type of drugs, including prescription medications, more than doubled, according to Victor Navarro, MD [...]

[T]he proportion of cases caused by dietary and herbal supplements increased from 7% to 20% (P<0.001), Navarro reported at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases.

BUT:

Of those, 136 (or 16%) were attributed to an herbal or dietary supplement while the remaining 709 were considered to be the result of prescription or over-the-counter drugs. 

I looked up "Operation Mockingbird" on Wikipedia, and found this interesting quote from Mary Louise (2003). Mockingbird: CIA Media Manipulation:
"In February 1976, George H. W. Bush, the recently appointed Director of the CIA, announced a new policy: "Effective immediately, the CIA will not enter into any paid or contract relationship with any full-time or part-time news correspondent accredited by any U.S. news service, newspaper, periodical, radio or television network or station." He added that the CIA would continue to "welcome" the voluntary, unpaid cooperation of journalists."

So I guess business as usual in the US is that businesses enter into paid relationships with news correspondents unless there is a specific law or presidential policy that forbids this--or unless they know how to whitewash things and get around it.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Reading articles like the one on the second link just makes me want to bang my head against the wall. What is this agenda about whooping cough? Since even the CDC had to admit that it was occuring mostly in the  vaccinated population. And then the part about people who don't vax solely because of the autism link. Maybe it is really high time that someone educates us just about that so we could consider vaccination uhoh3.gif.

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
―Socrates

Old 02-11-2014, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

So I guess business as usual in the US is that businesses enter into paid relationships with news correspondents unless there is a specific law or presidential policy that forbids this--or unless they know how to whitewash things and get around it.

I wouldn't be surprised if some form of Mockingbird is still operational.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2014/02/20/kids-vaccines-spotlight-state-capitol/

Coloradans

Quote:

Kids & Vaccines In Spotlight At State Capitol

It Might Get Harder To Refuse Child Vaccinations In ColoradoFebruary 20, 2014 5:12 PM

Old 02-22-2014, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmy526 View Post

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2014/02/20/kids-vaccines-spotlight-state-capitol/

Coloradans

Has anybody read the comments on this article. Goodness - I haven't heard about this Dorit Reiss before somenone mentioned her here but is this woman for real? How much does she get paid by big pharma to write this BS!

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
―Socrates

Old 02-22-2014, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Dorit Reiss  Evan Eberhardt  16 hours ago

I doubt they are. They make a lot more money off the illnesses brought back courtesy of non-vaccination than off vaccines.

But the information in question here is not coming from pharmaceutical companies.

BARFgrossedout.gif

Old 02-22-2014, 03:26 PM

There she goes again.  I guess she prefers spending Saturday afternoons to relentlessly defend EVERY aspect of EVERY vaccine, rather than spend time with her toddler...

Somehow, I don't think that's typical of most working mothers of toddlers.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Old 02-22-2014, 03:55 PM

If anyone is wondering, homeschoolers are *not* excempt from vaxx laws in Colorado. So the idea that parents will still have a "choice" by choosing to opt out of the public schools doesn't work here.

Old 02-22-2014, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post

If anyone is wondering, homeschoolers are *not* excempt from vaxx laws in Colorado. So the idea that parents will still have a "choice" by choosing to opt out of the public schools doesn't work here.

I understand that is the same situation in VW. I am not sure about MS.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
Old 02-22-2014, 04:32 PM

Coloradoans should play their cards carefully.

I'm curious how legislators would react if you said, "Fine. But you have to live by the same rules. Herd immunity is herd immunity. Get all adult vaccines recommended by the CDC, or go see a doctor for a lecture and exemption signature."

I'm sure that a few would self-righteously roll up their sleeves. But it might open some other eyes. I'll bet if you asked one of them, face-to-face and on the spot, what all of the childhood school entry vaccines are, they won't be able to answer. Then ask them which are required and which are recommended, how many doses, how the disease is transmitted, etc. You're going to see people with minimal knowledge on vaccines try to make laws about them. Education is key.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Old 02-22-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post

@Mirzam did you see this?

Yes, I am so po'ed about it.

Here is what NVIC sent out to the CO list.

Quote:

Hello All,

Today, 2/20/14, we heard from a Channel 4 News Reporter that there will be a press conference held tomorrow by Rep. Pabon to talk about a bill he plans to introduce to restrict exemptions to vaccination in Colorado. NVIC Ex. Dir. Theresa Wrangham was interviewed today for a story that will air today at 5:00 on Channel 4. 

I will you all know as soon as I know more.  We may try to get some people to the press conference tomorrow, however we do not know what time it's going to be.

Now that we know there will be a bill NVIC is going to ask for the records that I requested back in Jan.  NVIC will ask for a waiver of the $800.00 fee as a non profit organization. 

I will do my best to keep everyone updated on what's going on.  You can also register for the NVIC Advocacy Portal to receive updates at www.nvicadvocacy.org and join the Facebook Page.  If you want to join the FB Page, send me an email along with a request to join the group because the FB Page is a private group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/318067371661158/ - Colorado Coalition for Vaccine Choice

Quote:
Hello Friends,

Here's some more information on the bill that was introduced today and a link to the Channel 4 News story that aired. Theresa Wrangham drove all the way down to Denver from Louisville to provide comments on behalf of NVIC and most of her comments were not included in the story.  

Please start calling legislators now.  An alert will go out via NVIC Advocacy Portal similar to what I'm sharing with you.  This is still a draft,  but I wanted all those on my email list to know right away what the bill does and what needs to be done.

I would key on 4 of these committee members.  The Democrats who supported the bill last year to give alternative practitioners the right to practice, McCann, Schafer and Ginal and the Republican co-sponsor Rep. McNulty. All of these house members have a history of supporting health freedom or parental rights.  It is also really important for you to call your own house rep. and tell them to oppose HB 1288.  If it is passed by the committee, every single house rep. will vote on this bill.

The talking points I have listed are pretty basic.  Please let these representatives know how you personally feel about the state telling you that YOU need to be  

HB 1288 was introduced on Feb. 20, 2014 and referred to the House Health, Insurance, & Environment Committee.  This bill is sponsored in the house by Representative Pabon and co-sponsored by Representatives Court, Gardner, Gerou, Ginal, Labuda, McCann, McNulty, Peniston and Schafer. The senate sponsors are Senator Aguilar as the primary sponsor and Senators Guzman, Todd and Ulibarri as co-sponsors. 

The bill would require parents who choose to delay or exempt their child from one or more of the vaccines required for school in Colorado for personal beliefs reasons to obtain the signature of a physician or authorized representative of the Dept. of health or a certificate of completion of an on-line education module developed by the Infant Immunization Program at the Dept. of Health. 

The bill would allow the State Board of Health to determine the content of the information and how often parents will have to submit to the new requirements. 

Schools will be required to make the immunization and exemption rates of their student population publicly available. 

If passed the new laws would go into effect July 1, 2015. 

http://www.leg.state.co.us/clics/clics2014a/csl.nsf/billcontainers/94D61307D2B5926387257C360075EBCB/$FILE/1288_01.pdf - text of HB 1288

Mark your calendars and plan on attending the hearing on Thursday, March 13th - 1:30 p.m. Room 0107 Health, Insurance & Environment. WE need as many people as possible to attend, even if you don't want to testify please plan on being there.

We may try to schedule a rally, possibly before the hearing.

Also, if any of you belong to a trade group or organization that may be willing to write a letter in opposition to this bill, please let me know.

HB14-1288 Pabon--Student Immunizations Prior To School
Attendance
HB14-1281 Ginal and Joshi--Terminal Patients Investigational
Drugs
http://www.leg.state.co.us/CLICS/CLICS2014A/csl.nsf/CalendarsFrameSet?OpenForm&chamber=House ( next to the last page)

t

Old 02-22-2014, 08:16 PM

If you look at the comments, it gets very disturbing indeed.

Peggy Thatcher  Benjamin Ashraf  a day ago

I agree something should be done. But this bill allows parents to just as easily avoid vaccination (and the education) by simply using the religious exemption.

Share › 
  •  
  •  
  •  

•  
    •  

Taximom5  Peggy Thatcher  3 hours ago

So, when parents don't want an invasive medical procedure for their healthy child, you think the government should force them to declare a RELIGIOUS objection?

That's horrifying on so many levels. What next? Do you want non-vaccinated children to wear yellow stars?

Edit

Share › 
    •  
    •  
    •  

•  
      •  

Dorit Reiss  Taximom5  3 hours ago

I agree, states should not offer a religious exemption, parents should not be allowed to use insincere religious objection to avoid protecting children against disease. All religious exemptions should be abolished.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:21 PM

Dorit Reiss is certifiable. There are close to 200 vaccines in the pipeline, does she really want the ability to opt out of vaccines taken away when it could come back and bite her?

t

Old 02-22-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

•  
    •  

•  
      •  

Dorit Reiss  Taximom5  3 hours ago

I agree, states should not offer a religious exemption, parents should not be allowed to use insincere religious objection to avoid protecting children against disease. All religious exemptions should be abolished.

"All religious exemptions should be abolished."

Well.  She believes that invasive medical procedures should be mandated no matter what someone's religous beliefs are.

Wow.  That opens so many dangerous doors, it's absolutely chilling.  "We don't care what religion you are, we will circumcise your son.  Or you. Or your daughter.  Because your beliefs don't matter, only what WE think is best matters."  

Old 02-22-2014, 08:23 PM

I will probably attend the March meeting, and even speak if I can. Do you want to help me draft something?

t

Old 02-22-2014, 08:42 PM

There is a BRILLIANT reply to one of Dorit's earlier posts, by someone named Evan Eberhardt. 

Here is Dorit's post, which lays out the typical pharma points:

Dorit Reiss  Informed Parent  18 hours ago

A. Vaccine research draws on multiple sources of funding - including pharmaceutical
companies and governments but also non-profits and research grants from universities.

B. All vaccine clinical trials are double blind.

C. Vaccines work with the immune system - they teach it to recognize germs without being exposed to the disease...[edited here to fit MDC guidelines of 100 words or less]

D. Childhood vaccines have high rates of effectiveness and low risks.

E. Multiple studies, in multiple countries, examined whether vaccines cause autism. None found a link...[edited to here to fit MDC guidelines of 100 words or less] At some point you have to accept that the claim was wrong. Vaccines don't cause autism.

•  
  •  
  •  
And here is Evan Eberhardt's rebuttal to her points. I have Mr. Eberhardt's permission to quote his post in full here.

•  
    •  

Evan Eberhardt  Dorit Reiss  an hour ago

Just about every point you just stated can be refuted. 

A) The big pharma ties go far and deep that do 'research' for vaccines (and drugs in general). True non-biased research is exceedingly rare. 

B) Blind isn't the main issue (although shenanigans there wouldn't surprise me), rather the lack of placebo control and randomization is. Why are vaccines not compared to saline placebo and instead another vaccine? That's like comparing ibuprofin to naproxen and not to a sugar pill but claiming you are (this is fraud from a science stand point). Why are less than ideal kids excluded from studies but then the recommendations hold for everyone? That is another clear bias favoring vaccines. 

C) Vaccines do NOT work with the immune system, which is self-evident since their antibodies fade in a few years. True exposure (for viruses at least) results in lifetime immunity. Whatever vaccines do pales in comparison to the real natural process, and there is evidence they disrupt proper immune responses for life.

D) Never shown to be true on either count due to the absence of REAL studies. This one really irks me. Hard science requires proper controls and the history of vaccines fails to comply with such. Vaccines were claimed the reason for pathogen induced illness decline when there were numerous factors in play. Smallpox rates were all over the map despite nearly a century of use. The mortality rates were virtually identical for the vaxed and non-vaxed. Yet the vaccine got the credit? That's lousy science. How do we know smallpox (and other pathogens) didn't just work their way out of the population naturally? Or because sanitation and nutrition improved? It's all speculation because multiple variables were in play (you remember 'confounds' from statistics, yes?)

E) Really? I guess you only check for studies that are linked on the CDC website. My personal opinion is that vaccines do not typically cause autism by themselves, by rather can act as a catalyst in susceptible children (which there are more of than ever because of the general lousy health of our populace thanks do absolutely dead wrong medical and eating advice for decades). Only a fool would discount the thousands of anecdotal events where kids changed immediately following vaccines. If it were just a few, sure, it's chance. But there are enough to establish a pattern and ignoring them because they are not 'science' is head in the sand tactics from folks who refuse to question this sacred cow of vaccination.

Hey, I used to be for vaccines. Then I did some research on my own because I was curious why opponents were so adamant. Well, now I know why. Unfortunately, the level of fanaticism in support of vaccines keeps the public in the dark.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

New vaccination form eases way for false myths

http://www.theunion.com/opinion/10285783-113/parents-vaccinations-brown-california

Quote:

For almost two months, parents of California public school pupils have been able to claim with no proof that their religion precludes getting their children vaccinated against once dreaded and disabling diseases like polio, rubella, mumps, pertussis and smallpox.

This enables parents who believe in false myths to exempt their children easily, even if they really have no religious beliefs at all.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:28 AM

@Mirzam- I started a new thread specific for the Colorado legistlation if you want to post this information again on it. I am currently sans vehicle and wouldn't be able to go to any meetings but you are welcome to use any thoughts I post on the other thread if you think they will help. :) - http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1397977/colorado-vaccine-exemption-legistlation

Old 02-23-2014, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Barfelicious. Edited. I didn't read up on her. I don't know if that's a real person. Who knows. With that amount of posting output something is fishy. People can easily use a name of someone else....

Old 02-23-2014, 10:27 AM

Hey, ladies. I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt and assume that Ms. Reiss is not a paid shill but somebody who is deeply, deeply obsessed with this issue. I'm also not going to speculate on her parenting abilities or other facets of her personal life.

I'm editing out the last part of this post until I have more clarity on her position. I think it goes back to the idea of focusing on the arguments and not the people making them.

Tags
Vaccinations
User Tag List