Here We Go Again: Deconstructing "Leaving The Anti-Vaccine Movement" - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-23-2014, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

This is not the forum for this discussion.  We did not attack you, your friends did.  Take it up with them. 

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2014, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)

I want to let everyone know that we see the flags on this thread. It is true, Megan, that this forum is reserved for members who have chosen not to vaccinate. But, we also need to consider that the article and author being discussed in the OP is a member here at Mothering so we will need to consider if some previous posts are appropriate. I've asked other mods and admins about how to moderate this thread. 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Old 03-23-2014, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I understand this is a forum for people who don't vaccinate. However, my intent was not to start a debate, but just to try and clear my name from accusations of being a nutjob or attacking people. I think it's easy to demonize people from behind a keyboard. I just want people to remember that I am a real person who just shared my story. I didn't write it to try and sway other non-vaccinating people into vaccinating. I wrote it so that others who had switched from anti to pro vaccine would know they are not alone. 

Old 03-23-2014, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by megangriffith View Post

So this is the first time I have seen this. I'm Megan. I just want to say that I never attacked anyone. The post where I originally "came out" as pro-vaccine (after several months of hiding it, I might add) blew up into an 800-comment debate, but it's all public on my FB. I was respectful and tried to stick to the facts. I never attacked anybody but somehow I'm a nutjob for changing my mind? This is exactly the type of bullying I referred to in my article. It's hurtful to see past friends talking about me like this. 

Edited to add: When I was 18 and first became anti-vax, everyone told me how smart I was for such a young mother. Now I'm 20 and pro-vax, and the comments have all been about how I'm too young to know what I'm talking about. Such an interesting turn around. I guess I can only be smart if my conclusions agree with yours, huh?

Edited again to clarify: My article was not meant to be scientific in nature. I was asked to share my story, and that's what I did. It wasn't meant to be filled with facts. I included a couple of graphics just to break up the monotony of all the text, but I left out the bulk of the science behind my decision-changing. And yes, I was 17 when I had my first. She wasn't planned, I had a birth control failure, but I still managed to graduate a year early with an honors diploma and straight A's in all of my classes. I don't make parenting decisions at random or to follow the crowd. I should think that would be evident, but apparently not. 

Megan, there are 66 posts on this thread.  It's not clear whether you are objecting to the original post that deconstructed your article, or if you are objecting to other posts on this thread, or if you are just venting about the debate on your FaceBook page, which is certainly inappropriate to discuss here.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

Megan, there are 66 posts on this thread.  It's not clear whether you are objecting to the original post that deconstructed your article, or if you are objecting to other posts on this thread, or if you are just venting about the debate on your FaceBook page, which is certainly inappropriate to discuss here.

I'm objecting to the people who called me a nutjob or tried to make me invalid simply because I had my children young (ageism much?). I have no problem with the original deconstruction or general discussions of the article itself, but when it moves into ad hominem attacks against me as a person I get offended.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by megangriffith View Post

I'm objecting to the people who called me a nutjob or tried to make me invalid simply because I had my children young (ageism much?). I have no problem with the original deconstruction or general discussions of the article itself, but when it moves into ad hominem attacks against me as a person I get offended.

Generally, when people here object to specific posts, they use the quote feature (the middle button at the bottom right of each post), so that they can directly address the person whose post they find objectionable.

You could also use the pm feature to let those people know that you disagree with their assessment of you.  

You do realize how offensive your article is to parents of vaccine-injured children, I hope?  You painted us as nut jobs--and now you're upset that it's getting thrown back at you?

Seems to me that what's most important to you is, in your own words, having "a sense of community with other mothers who share your view and cheer you on."   That can certainly be very important, but you might want to take care that you choose a community that cheers YOU on--not one that uses you for their own agenda, and not one that bullies those who disagre with that agenda.  And that could be said about communities on either side of the vaccine issue.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:24 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post
You painted us as nut jobs--and now you're upset that it's getting thrown back at you?

That's how I felt when I read her original article.

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

Old 03-24-2014, 06:24 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)

I am sorry you were hurt.  I have had it happen to me, albeit in a slightly different fashion.  You have to know, though, that if you create a pro-vax or non-vax piece, particularly for something like V4V which is widely read in some circles, that your piece will be discussed.

I think nut-job was over the line, and if you have an issue with who said it a pm might be in order.  

I do think your age could play a factor in your decision making.  This is not personal, and it is not unique to vaccines.  Young people as a general rule have not had the depth of life experience of someone who is older.  This does not make your choice invalid, and I will defend to the end your your right as a parent to make health care decisions for your underage children.

I thought both applejuice and Taxi made excellent points.  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Old 03-24-2014, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

From what I see there was only one person on here to make the claim having known you, megangriffith, personally, no other discussion referred to anyone as a nut job except for that one poster so no need to come in here and assume we're all out to get you.  Everyone here has been attacked for one reason or another for making the decision to not vax, it's something we deal with and learn from.  Many of our discussions get plucked from here and thrown to the wolves in pro-vax blogs and they rip us apart either personally or as a whole and that's life in the internet age - everything you post is out there for the public to criticize, like it or not, it's all public knowledge at that point.  You don't have to hide your decisions anymore than I do, but know that you open yourself up for criticism every single time. We're for the most part pretty fair on here, and save for the one poster who claimed to know you who hasn't posted a whole lot (at least recently) on this particular board, no one was on here attacking you, just critiquing your choices.....and isn't that human nature?  To analyze and critique what is different from your own beliefs?  Sorry you feel attacked but I doubt that was the intention.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Just so we're clear, Megan, apart from the nutjob comment, (which I didn't see, but I'll take your word for it), you're not being attacked. Your article is being criticized for its content. There is most certainly a difference.

Sharing something on an open blog, or MDC for that matter, is sharing something with the entire English-speaking, Internet-using planet! This is easy to forget, I realize that. But when you choose to make a public statement on a controversial issue, you open yourself to a public critique. You are in no fair position to cry foul (or yell "attack!), at people who criticize, question, or debate what you say.

If you wish to defend your position further, I'll gladly join you on the main Vaccination Debate forum.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Old 03-24-2014, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)

There is more than calling her a nutjob that is an attack here. This thread seriously makes me think that this support forum is being abused rather than used for the purpose it was created. 

I'm not sure what to do with this thread but I am sure that pulling people apart and attacking them is not what a support forum is about. I want every single post that has any personal slight, insulting or attacking comment made toward Megan edited. If you posted a negative comment and are not sure if it is attacking or insulting I suggest you edit it to the point that you are sure it is not. Those who do not edit will be removed from the forum. 

Megan, I think you have fairly defended yourself here and you had every right to do so. But this is supposed to be a support forum for members who are not vaccinating. So if you wish to post anything more please take it to one of the other forums where your posts will be more appropriate.  

Old 03-24-2014, 02:58 PM

We also discussed Amy Parker, also from V4V, and were a far bit harder on her.

Is that to be heavily modded as well?

Is anyone anywhere who happens to be a mother off limits?

Or is it for members only?  Frankly, I doubt anyone here knew she was a member when we responded.

So, can we speak about Dorit Reiss?  Jenny McCarthy?  

Megan put up an article on V4V - nobody started critqueing her out of the blue.  She threw her hat in the ring.  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Old 03-24-2014, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Why not be critical of the article, book, topic, or statement and not attack the person? Is that not possible? I have no objection to arguing a case for or against something but why step into insult and put-down? That's the issue here. If you can't do that then we really should be closing this forum and putting all discussions into the main Vaccinations or the Debate forum where at least people can defend their opinions and arguments. 

Old 03-24-2014, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Mosher View Post

Why not be critical of the article, book, topic, or statement and not attack the person? Is that not possible? I have no objection to arguing a case for or against something but why step into insult and put-down? That's the issue here. If you can't do that then we really should be closing this forum and putting all discussions into the main Vaccinations or the Debate forum where at least people can defend their opinions and arguments

So we can effectively be called nutjobs - ie conspiracy theorists and believers in alternative medicine, and all that goes with that 'wacky' belief?

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
Old 03-24-2014, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Mirzam, I think I made my point fairly clear. If you need to edit anything you posted I suggest you do so rather than argue some other side of the issue to make a point that is beyond this particular thread or purpose of this forum. 

Old 03-24-2014, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)

I just want to make sure that things are moderated fairly in all forums. I don't believe there was anything wrong in my posts in this particular thread.

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
Old 03-24-2014, 05:48 PM

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1395596/the-forum-that-will-keep-me-on-mdc

I went data mining through VOS posts, and while most threads were respectful I did find this one which parallels this thread in some ways - except there they were discussing a known member, whereas we were discussing an author on V4V.  Some of the details are lost, as the thread was edited, but you can get the gist.  

cm's initial response was:

"I have removed some posts in this thread. In the interest of respect for all parents let's not discuss the actions and statements of others posted in other threads. If you want to discuss something someone has posted you should do so directly in that thread, with the full respect and discussion of the topic itself, not as a separate side discussion here about the individual and her choices."

Yet here you have threatened to close the forum (based on one thread) and told people they need to edit or will be kicked  off the forum.

Why the discrepency? Has there been a policy change of some sort?

Old 03-24-2014, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)

I saw differences in opinion and just having gone back there were 2 people who talked about Megan on a personal level, but everything else was a group of like-minded individuals having a very civil discussion, so I'm also confused.  I didn't see any name calling beyond the 2 posters with personal relations, just lots of analyzing of the article and the discrepancies that were found. Every thread has the potential to offend someone because even if we're all here to support non-vaxxing, we're all still individuals with different opinions on varying subjects.....

Old 03-24-2014, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfirechick View Post

I saw differences in opinion and just having gone back there were 2 people who talked about Megan on a personal level, but everything else was a group of like-minded individuals having a very civil discussion, so I'm also confused.  I didn't see any name calling beyond the 2 posters with personal relations, just lots of analyzing of the article and the discrepancies that were found. Every thread has the potential to offend someone because even if we're all here to support non-vaxxing, we're all still individuals with different opinions on varying subjects.....

I'm not sure if I can even post here because we're generally a vaccinating family, but I detected considerable sarcasm (often biting) and patronization in several posts that weren't directly name calling.  Such derogatory language and tone directed at a person seems unnecessary in order to show support to those that have differing opinions from said person.

Mods: feel free to remove this if I've violated a posting rule.

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

Old 03-25-2014, 05:36 AM
Administrator

Mirzam and kathymuggle, I appreciate you have concerns about other behavior in other threads - as do I. But let's stop pulling this discussion into that of other posts of issue in other threads and forums. Forum issues will be reviewed and if changes to moderation need to be made I will post to clarify for each forum. 

crayfishgirl, I appreciate you sharing your thoughts on the whole conversation and you are correct. But let's end it here. 

Thread closed. Further input or questions about policy and guidelines can be sent by PM or posted to the Site Help forum. 

Tags
Vaccinations
User Tag List