The Anti-Autism Vaccine - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-11-2014, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I guess the repeted warnings to try to get pregnant women to vaxx for their own sakes are not working. We are now touting the flu vaxx as the Anti-Autism Vaccine -

http://www.everydayhealth.com/sanjay-gupta/flu-shot-reduces-risk-of-autism.aspx?xid=aol_eh-flu_3_20140210_&aolcat=ESO&icid=maing-grid7|maing11|dl23|sec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D441557

Just to be clear, they don't actually believe the flu vaxx prevents autism. They believe that women who have the flu during pregnancy have a higher risk of giving birth to a child with autism. (Maybe??? Who knows, they seem to come up with a new theory every year, pretty sure this one was circling when I was pregnant last time too.) But you see what the headlines say?!!

duh.gif

applejuice likes this.
#2 of 8 Old 02-11-2014, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)

From what I recollect, they think the fever during the flu, and for an extended period, is what can increase autism risk.

I think it is plausible, but I am not sure a flu vaccine is the answer.  

They have never studied (as far as I know) the rate of autism in the offspring of mothers who are vaxxed for the flu  during pregnancy versus those who are not.  How could they?  Autism numbers are related to birth cohorts, and   vaccinating pregnant women is relatively new.  

In addition to possibly having thimerosal in the flu vaccine (which I find concerning) the flu vaccine can cause a small temperature in and of itself.  I also suspect it may make people more susceptible to other viruses floating around - and these other viruses may have fever components as well.

Fever in pregnancy is obviously not the smoking gun, though!  Autism rates have risen dramatically in recent years, and the flu has been with us for centuries.  

I agree the title is off - and the content of the story is no better.

"Greg Poland, MD, a researcher at the Mayo Clinic has been studying the flu virus for a quarter century. He says you can think of the flu vaccine as an “anti-autism vaccine.”

It’s a startling statement, but it is backed up by several recent studies. Dr. Poland says pregnant women who get influenza have double or triple the risk of having a child with autism. So preventing flu during pregnancy is vital."

An anti-autism vaccine?!?  WTF?  Way to overstate your case there, bud.

Lastly, for years many of those who argue for vaccines have been dismissing our concerns about autism and vaccines.  They can be incredibly harsh - claiming we do not love the children we have, that autism is just a fine hunky-dorry brain difference, etc. Those who want to prevent autism are painted as borderline monsters.  But it seems wanting to prevent autism is fine when it involves taking a vaccines, it is only heinous when it involves rejecting a vaccine.

ETA:  I would try to avoid getting sick with fever during during pregnancy.  I am just not sold on the flu vaccine during pregnancy as the way to do it, and it may come with other, unexplored, risks.  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#3 of 8 Old 02-12-2014, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

banghead.gif

applejuice likes this.
#4 of 8 Old 02-12-2014, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

Lastly, for years many of those who argue for vaccines have been dismissing our concerns about autism and vaccines.  They can be incredibly harsh - claiming we do not love the children we have, that autism is just a fine hunky-dorry brain difference, etc. Those who want to prevent autism are painted as borderline monsters.  But it seems wanting to prevent autism is fine when it involves taking a vaccines, it is only heinous when it involves rejecting a vaccine.

Funny how that works. You're right on about that.

applejuice and BeckyBird like this.
#5 of 8 Old 02-12-2014, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:

But it seems wanting to prevent autism is fine when it involves taking a vaccines, it is only heinous when it involves rejecting a vaccine.

:clap

The above quote gets my vote for "Quote Of The Thread."  Kudos to kathymuggle for getting right to the heart of the matter.  

#6 of 8 Old 02-13-2014, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Quote:

Those who want to prevent autism are painted as borderline monsters.  

I wonder how these same people feel when their parents develop Alzheimer's?

Mirzam and applejuice like this.

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

#7 of 8 Old 02-13-2014, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyBird View Post

Celebrate it, as neurodiversity?

But seriously, I can't get my parents to stop getting flu vaccines every year, but I do remind them every year to get the single dose vials or prefilled syringes, and I really, really hope they listen to me.

#8 of 8 Old 02-14-2014, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyBird View Post

I suspect they chalk it up to being hereditary and assume it was just going to happen anyways - because it can't possibly stem from a vaccine!  I watched my grandfather go downhill very quickly in a nursing home after he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's - with each new med and new vaccination it just got worse and worse....too bad I had no idea what the connection was back then.

applejuice and BeckyBird like this.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page