Well-child visits linked to more than 700,000 subsequent flu-like illnesses - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 02-14-2014, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

New research shows that well-child doctor appointments for annual exams and vaccinations are associated with an increased risk of flu-like illnesses in children and family members within two weeks of the visit. This risk translates to more than 700,000 potentially avoidable illnesses each year, costing more than $490 million annually. The study was published in the March issue of Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology, the journal of the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America.

Could the vaccinations translate in to a stressed body which will create the healing symptoms of flu-like disease, ie a body trying to cleanse from toxins?

(Anyway, never mind, we can just keep pushing the flu shot for these children, and rake in more dough.)

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#2 of 17 Old 02-14-2014, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Well I'd say it' just the nastiness in the air - last well visit we did with our original ped, DD was 13mos, sat 45mins in the waiting room (and yes she played with the nasty toys) only to be seen for 5 mins and not a week later both her and I had a nasty cold for Xmas! It's all those sick kids going in with well-meaning parents looking for treatment - aka antibiotics - for things that shouldn't necessarily be treated and they spread the germs around to those who aren't sick. We had stopped vaxxing long before that visit so for us it was just wrong place at the wrong time.  I'm sure had we been the paranoid type who call the doc for every sniffle, she'd have immediately assumed the worse that it was some VAD and it would have been a smug 'I told you so' for not vaxxing. Funny how that works...

applejuice and swede like this.
#3 of 17 Old 02-14-2014, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfirechick View Post

Well I'd say it' just the nastiness in the air - last well visit we did with our original ped, DD was 13mos, sat 45mins in the waiting room (and yes she played with the nasty toys) only to be seen for 5 mins and not a week later both her and I had a nasty cold for Xmas! It's all those sick kids going in with well-meaning parents looking for treatment - aka antibiotics - for things that shouldn't necessarily be treated and they spread the germs around to those who aren't sick. We had stopped vaxxing long before that visit so for us it was just wrong place at the wrong time.  I'm sure had we been the paranoid type who call the doc for every sniffle, she'd have immediately assumed the worse that it was some VAD and it would have been a smug 'I told you so' for not vaxxing. Funny how that works...

So do you think that healthy kids are sitting targets for germs? I personally don't, it just hasn't been my experience with my children. Where does the milieu figure into this? I personally think the prevailing theory of the immune system is wrong, but that's a whole other post. 

applejuice likes this.

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#4 of 17 Old 02-14-2014, 09:47 AM

I didn't really take my kids to the dr unless they were severely ill with something i couldn't treat on my own, back when my kids were small.  They picked up their fair share of stuff at school, tho.  And it seems my kids were less sick,  less often, and of less duration than their peers, with less severity in the illness in general.  Even now as young adults in college, they are less ill than peers, and thwart illness off easily.   My son in Denver hasn't been sick at all yet this year (knock on wood) while his cousins and most friends around him are catching everything. 

#5 of 17 Old 02-14-2014, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I don't recall ever getting sick or my kids getting sick after visiting the doctor for a "well-check." However, we don't vaccinate. The article mentioned that family members, as well as kids got sick after those visits. I think it has a lot to do with vaccines harming the immune system, and also live virus vaccines shedding.

applejuice likes this.
#6 of 17 Old 02-14-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

So do you think that healthy kids are sitting targets for germs? I personally don't, it just hasn't been my experience with my children. Where does the milieu figure into this? I personally think the prevailing theory of the immune system is wrong, but that's a whole other post.

Definitely not targets.  The immune system isn't "ready to go" from birth and while some probably fend things off better than others, I think some are more susceptible regardless of vax status.  I was vaxxed as a kid, DD was vaxxed til 5mos, so perhaps that little bit for her and whatever I got from 83' on was enough to toss our systems out of whack making us more susceptible to catching some illness. BUT, we do recover quick and I attribute that to good health.  It's been a slow process for me and 10 years ago I wouldn't have said my recovery was quick at all.  But I see things different now and know to do differently with DD than my parents did with me so I see that as a step in the right direction and a major reason she has been able to recover from colds without a hitch and at this point in her life she's had fewer illnesses than I had by that same age, heck even half that age.  We've both got a slight sniffle right now - I've been surrounded by co-workers with strep, flu, and other colds.  But I don't anticipate it going beyond a sniffle even if everyone around us is hacking up a lung because of the steps we take - extra vit c and d, essential oils, and if I get around to it some elderberry syrup.  I don't know what it's like to have a clean slate vax wise and if the rate of illness would be different (guess we'll find out when we're ready for more!).  I suppose that's where epigenetics might jump in and say that even going completely no-vax with future kids, the fact that DH and I were done on schedule as kids might dictate that there has already been changes in the DNA we will pass on that will make our kids one step below optimal in health terms.

#7 of 17 Old 02-14-2014, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The whole problem is that most offices have one waiting room. Sick calls, well checks, all in one room. Makes no sense. When I was little and I was sick, my parents called the ped and they would let us in through the backdoor straight into an exam room. No mingling with the others! Why is that not freaking standard?! I schedule well visits first thing in the morning to minimize waiting time and contamination potential and sometimes wait in the car and tell them to call my phone when ready.

#8 of 17 Old 02-14-2014, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Yea I generally skip well visits during flu season. It just doesn't make sense to take my healthy kids into a roomful of sneezing, coughing, germ spreading kids...
Probably has to do with the vaxes being given as well, but I wouldn't soley blame them in this scenerio... just saying, its a "look at the whole picture" type deal.
applejuice and swede like this.

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#9 of 17 Old 02-15-2014, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)

http://www.today.com/health/taking-your-healthy-kids-doctor-may-make-them-sick-2D12110565

• Ask physicians, nurse, and staff to wash their hands before touching their children.                    :rotflmao how dare parent have to tell a "professional"!
  • Request your pediatrician to schedule well child visits at different time than sick visits to avoid transmission of illnesses.                                                   :rotflmao:rotflmao yes, cater to me, oh wait - NO! "find another office we don't want you telling us what to do!"

you are looked at like some kind of freak if you ask these thing!  :laugh  I find this so silly in this day and age

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#10 of 17 Old 02-16-2014, 11:48 AM

We do WCV and are non vaxxers. Even if we were vaxxers I would still do them. It helps establish a relationship between the doctor and my kids so that is already in place when they do need her if they ever do.

Regardless, I never let my kids touch any toys in the waiting room. I keep the baby in the Ergo and don't let her out until it's time for her to be seen. My 4 year old is drilled to keep her hands away from her face. I wash all our hands when we are done, and we all re wash hands and change clothes when we get home. I do the same after airports, hospitals, museums. It seems common sense to me. Am I afraid they are going to get VPDs? No! But I'm trying to minimize all disease transmission from highly public places. Even colds. They still get sick, sure. But at least I can minimize the viral load if possible which they are exposed to.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#11 of 17 Old 02-16-2014, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukuspot View Post

Regardless, I never let my kids touch any toys in the waiting room. I keep the baby in the Ergo and don't let her out until it's time for her to be seen. My 4 year old is drilled to keep her hands away from her face. I wash all our hands when we are done, and we all re wash hands and change clothes when we get home. I do the same after airports, hospitals, museums. It seems common sense to me. Am I afraid they are going to get VPDs? No! But I'm trying to minimize all disease transmission from highly public places. Even colds. They still get sick, sure. But at least I can minimize the viral load if possible which they are exposed to.

Nukespot, I did none of things when mine were little and they did not get sick. For me it is not the germ but the milieu (the terrain), and if they do get sick, it is merely the immune system doing its job and the result will be cell immunity for the next time they encounter those microbes.

#12 of 17 Old 02-16-2014, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukuspot View Post

We do WCV and are non vaxxers. Even if we were vaxxers I would still do them. It helps establish a relationship between the doctor and my kids so that is already in place when they do need her if they ever do.

we do a lot of what you do as well but not all because of "germs" - It's all the exposure to all the cleaning products! I hate seeing antibacterial soaps in all the public bathrooms, every check out counter had hand sanitizer and people are globbing it on like mad! Clean with chemicals all over the place! ICK!

nukuspot likes this.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#13 of 17 Old 02-16-2014, 03:24 PM

Serenbat--I get you! So much exposure to environmental toxins in public places.

Mirzam--To each their own. I have very healthy kids with great diets and strong immune systems. But I still want to prevent unnecessary illness. They get a few colds, coughs, the occasional vomiting bug. I know it's good for their immune system to get sick but trust me, they do a good job getting sick on their own regardless of my hand washing reminders. There are no shortage of germs in the world. I just prevent what I can.
3lilchunklins likes this.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#14 of 17 Old 02-16-2014, 03:25 PM

Mirzam---I cannot actually believe your kids never got sick. At all. Never? You never had to wipe a snotty nose?
3lilchunklins likes this.

#15 of 17 Old 02-16-2014, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

FWIW, my older two were fully vaxed per CDC schedule for their first two years, minus the rotavirus vaccine, which our pediatrician recommended we skip, as #1) it was new and #2) I was breastfeeding.  My youngest was sel/del.

They were ALL in daycare, 1/2 days, starting as babies, going through pre-kindergarten.

To my knowledge, all other children at the daycare were fully vaccinated; my youngest was the first or one of the very first they had who was sel/del.

My kids hardly ever got sick.  EVER.  Runny nose--yes.  Maybe once a year, they would each get a fever, and once a year, they would have an intestinal virus.  #2  got Cocksackie the week he started daycare, at 9 weeks.

That was it.

But nearly ALL their classmates were sick at least once a month, usually more during the winter.  The teachers all commented on how we seemed to escape it all.  I didn't do Purell, I didn't keep them from other kids, they played with toys in the pediatrician's waiting room.  We WERE careful about washing hands with soap and water, but we did not use Purell.

My older kids were just as vaccinated as the rest, so it wasn't because of vaccines.

But I was the only mother at the daycare who continued to breastfeed after going to work.  My kids did not get formula.  They got milk I pumped for them when I was at work, and they nursed when I was home.  They each nursed for at least 2 years.

Draw your own conclusions.

sassyfirechick likes this.
#16 of 17 Old 02-16-2014, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I don't recall my kids getting sick after any doctor's visits. For the record, we select vax and say NO to flu shots.
#17 of 17 Old 02-16-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

But I was the only mother at the daycare who continued to breastfeed after going to work.  My kids did not get formula.  They got milk I pumped for them when I was at work, and they nursed when I was home.  They each nursed for at least 2 years.

Draw your own conclusions.

:truedat:

So that sniffle I mentioned 2 days ago?  I posted Friday afternoon after having booked off from work - Thursday we had a big snowstorm so I stayed home, then decided to tack Friday on as well because at the time only DD had the sniffle and we're closed tomorrow (Monday) and I figured I'd make it a nice long weekend.  So that Friday night, my throat got scratchy as the night went on so around 4 I took some C, and another 2 doses (5g each time) spaced out before bed.  Still scratchy at that point, got some chills, bit of a low fever (100-101).  Used EO's on my feet and put some on DD too (thieves and oregano).  I bundled up in some thermals to help the fever along, and right along DD's bedtime I was a bit achy, and felt the fever going up as I uncovered to nurse her.  Hopped into bed with thermals, a bathrobe, and extra blankets - still shivering....BUT sometime circa 3am woke up sweating my ass off!  Fever was gone, so I stripped down a few layers and went back to sleep.  Saturday morning, slight headache upon waking, but no fever, didn't feel like eating much which I typical for me when sick.  Had to run out of the house at 630pm to pick up monthly raw dog food delivery...felt so good to be out in the snow that I bundled up DD and out we went to play for an hour!  Felt pretty ok after that, woke up this morning - totally normal!

DD - nursed the entire time (she's still at about 3-5x a day) and other than the runny nose, she did no get the fever, sweats, or any other problems.  Pretty typical for her!

Moral of the story - nursing totally changes the game.  There have been plenty of times I've had colds that DD nursed through and never got sick.  It might not prevent all illnesses, but it sure does make a big difference.

applejuice and Taximom5 like this.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page