What do you make of these exemption forms? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-22-2014, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Alright all, I need your help!

My niece is going off to college next year.  She's starting to look around at schools.  Right now, she has narrowed it down to about five.  Problem is, her top two are both a little sketchy as far as allowing exemptions for vaccinations.  The second choice at this point allows for a petition for exemption that can possibly be denied.  Link here:

http://www.millikin.edu/wellness/documents/religious_exemption.pdf

I find it ridiculous that they offer it in the first place if they could arbitrarily decide, nope, this isn't good enough, or whatever they base their decision on.

The other frontrunner is the U of I in Champaign, IL, which has a nearly identical "petition" form:

http://www.odos.uiuc.edu/downloads/immunization_exemption.pdf

I did some digging and found this following statement on their site regarding exemptions:

A written and signed statement by the student, or if the student is under age 18, by a parent or guardian, that sets forth the specific religious belief that makes immunization objectionable. The immunization code does not recognize objections of conscience. A statement for religious exemption must be submitted to and approved by the Office of the Dean of Students.

So basically, the same policy for both Universities.

I am trying to help her as much as possible.  She was never vaccinated in her life and neither her or her parents want her to start now just to fulfill some idiotic state regulation.  I know the state of IL is one of the more difficult ones for non-vaxxers but I for some reason was thinking that you could claim religious exemption without having to explicitly state the details of the religion. 

So what do you all think of these forms?  My main concern is that I don't think she can even apply for exemptions until she's already accepted and if they deny them, then she's wasted her time, money, and she'll have to find a different school.  What would she even say is her religion and why it is against vaxxing?  I always did my exemptions for personal beliefs so I never had to deal with any of that.  The fact that she will have to stretch the truth because they have given her no other option is pretty irritating.

I really want her to be able to go to the school of her choice.  She has some backup plans that offer a much easier exemption option.  I just hate that she's dealing with this.  She's stressing over it which I can understand; going to college is a big deal.  I just want to be able to help with this and I knew you all could provide your thoughts and ideas on the whole thing.

#2 of 5 Old 02-23-2014, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

My dd turned in her exemptioin in lieu of vaccination records...they cannot deny your dd based on her religious preferences, and she should just submit the exemption along with her application. 

here is the law for illinois and college students

admincode.gif
TITLE 77: PUBLIC HEALTH 
CHAPTER I: DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH
SUBCHAPTER k: COMMUNICABLE DISEASE CONTROL AND IMMUNIZATIONS
PART 694 COLLEGE IMMUNIZATION CODE 
SECTION 694.210 RELIGIOUS EXEMPTION

Section 694.210  Religious Exemption

A student may be exempted from the immunization requirements specified in this Part upon acceptance by the designated recordkeeping office of a written and signed statement by the student (or the student's parent or guardian, if the student is a minor) detailing the student's objection to immunization on religious grounds. The objection must set forth the specific religious belief that conflicts with the immunization.  The religious objection may be personal and need not be directed by the tenets of an established religious organization. General philosophical or moral reluctance to allow immunizations will not provide a sufficient basis for an exception to statutory requirements.

(Source:  Amended at 26 Ill. Reg. 10784, effective July 1, 2002)

http://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/admincode/077/077006940C02100R.html

#3 of 5 Old 02-23-2014, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I think the forms are okay, because they are apparently trying to comply with Illinois law regarding college vaccine exemptions, which states, "General philosophical or moral reluctance to allow immunizations will not provide a sufficient basis for an exception to statutory requirements."

http://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/admincode/077/077006940C02100R.html

I think as long as your niece makes it clear that her objection to vaccines are religious in nature, she will be fine.

#4 of 5 Old 02-24-2014, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So maybe not as big of a deal as I was worried about...I guess now what I still don't understand is would she have to state a specific religion and why/what that religion is against vaccines?

I just never had to deal with this and since she'll have to claim religious exemption, I guess I'm worried that what she puts on her forms won't be good enough for them.

#5 of 5 Old 02-24-2014, 05:10 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunny627 View Post

So maybe not as big of a deal as I was worried about...I guess now what I still don't understand is would she have to state a specific religion and why/what that religion is against vaccines?

I just never had to deal with this and since she'll have to claim religious exemption, I guess I'm worried that what she puts on her forms won't be good enough for them.

no she does not have to state her religion..the law also says it can be her religion not connected with any affiliated religion. So, if she wrote a letter stating she lives according to the laws of nature, that is her religion she is abiding by, and therefore, permissable by law.  Per the link: 

Quote:
The religious objection may be personal and need not be directed by the tenets of an established religious organization. 
sassyfirechick likes this.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page