Forum Jump: 

#61 of 124 Old 03-21-2014, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)

At least a couple of lawmakers spoke out against the bill

http://www.therepublic.com/w/CO--Vaccines

Quote:

Republican House Leader Brian DelGrosso told lawmakers that while he immunized his children, his younger brother doesn't believe in vaccinations.

"And basically what this bill does is, the sponsor is basically saying that my brother is an idiot, my brother is a moron," he said, adding that the message lawmakers are sending is that they know better than parents.

Quote:

Republican Rep. Janak Joshi, a retired physician, said "we have to give the choice to our parents and whatever they believe in." Joshi, who represents Colorado Springs, noted that while he was vaccinated for smallpox growing up, he wasn't immunized for anything else.

"I'm still around," he said.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 124 Old 03-21-2014, 04:32 PM

Great suggestion, give us (non-vaxers) the VIS to read and we will sign we read it, that's all vaxing parents get to read before they agree to vaccinations!

http://www.9news.com/videos/news/2014/03/21/6698789/

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#63 of 124 Old 03-21-2014, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfirechick View Post

Anyone up for starting a religion?

Dudism...my son is a minister, certified in Dudism

applejuice likes this.
#64 of 124 Old 03-21-2014, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Did anyone tune in? There were some good amendments priposed that didn't pass. One would have applied the law to ALL parents to ensure equity of information. It was voted down after the sponsor said basically, "But vaccinating parents get VISs." eyesroll.gif Heck, at least VISs discuss risk and injury, albeit in a well spun way.

Rep Joschi (sp?) had a good point. The sources that non-vax-compliant parents are least likely to trust are from the government, so why force government-based information?

My favorite was the Rep who spoke passionately about how this bill is insulting and treats Colorado parents like they're stupid. Honestly, I think that's the motive--to punish and humiliate disobedient citizens. irked.gif

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#65 of 124 Old 03-21-2014, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
I only saw Fruitful Mama's post before I had the reply window up for about an hour, so I missed some of your posts.

Yes, Rep Delgrosso was the one insulted by the bill's condescension towards parents. thumb.gif
applejuice likes this.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#66 of 124 Old 03-23-2014, 10:52 AM

Great letter:

Quote:

The individuals I know who have chosen to delay some vaccinations or who have chosen to forego them altogether appear far more educated about vaccines than the vast majority of people who just go along with the recommended schedule. They would likely point out that the protection from vaccines is a variable rather than the absolute that is expressed. 

They likely would know about the risks of vaccination, what an adjuvant is, what the ingredients of the vaccine are, what a “hot lot” is, and under what conditions a vaccine is not recommended.

They would point out flaws in the herd immunity theory and suggest that lifestyle of the herd may have more of an impact than vaccination. They would note that the pertussis cases in Colorado included the supposedly protected vaccinated children. (Apparently, they weren’t very well protected after all.)

http://www.chieftain.com/opinion/2370680-120/vaccines-bill-chosen-parents

applejuice likes this.

#67 of 124 Old 03-24-2014, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

It looks like it passed the third house reading by a pretty big margin - 42 to 19 (and 4 excused). On to the senate next. The people working on defeating it are not giving up hope yet!

A small bit of good news is that the way the bill stands now it appears that homeschoolers who do not participate in any school activities with other children may be exempt - see page three http://legiscan.com/CO/text/HB1288/2014

applejuice likes this.
#68 of 124 Old 03-24-2014, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yikes! This is the first I am hearing about this! Subbing to stay informed!

applejuice likes this.
#69 of 124 Old 03-24-2014, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

News poll going on for another hour if anyone wants to go vote on it...

http://www.9news.com/story/news/politics/2014/03/24/vaccines-debate-colorado/6830499/

applejuice likes this.
#70 of 124 Old 03-25-2014, 06:56 AM

Quote:
DENVER (AP) - A measure to clamp down on vaccine exemptions passed the state House Monday after a somber debate on parental rights.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

http://www.koaa.com/news/vaccine-measure-advances-in-colorado/

another notch in the belt closer to taking away rights of parents to choose

#71 of 124 Old 03-25-2014, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Well at least "Religious and medical vaccine exemptions would not be affected" according to the article.

#72 of 124 Old 03-25-2014, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicharronita View Post

Well at least "Religious and medical vaccine exemptions would not be affected" according to the article.

For now. It would not be possible to get legislation through that would do away with exemptions all in one go, there would be huge resistance, so they have to take it one step at a time.

sassyfirechick likes this.

#73 of 124 Old 03-25-2014, 08:36 AM

So if I understand correctly, I just have to sit through some "your putting everyone at risk" lecture and I can still get the personal exemption?

Quote:
It would require parents seeking the exemption to undergo vaccine education, either through a video or by consulting with a physician.

I wonder if I will be charged a co-pay for each of my 4 kids?

I have a friend that claimed religious exemption. She said she prayed and Heavenly Father told her to do whatever she wanted ;)

#74 of 124 Old 03-25-2014, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

There is a nurse who has been quite vocal on the different articles and fb groups who has made it clear that her life goal is to get rid of all but the most strict medical exemptions.

#75 of 124 Old 03-25-2014, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
So if I understand correctly, I just have to sit through some "your putting everyone at risk" lecture and I can still get the personal exemption?

Yes, for now, although I am not clear on whether or not a physician would be required to sign off under the law. So it may be a case of having to track down one who will actually work with you.

#76 of 124 Old 03-25-2014, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

For now. It would not be possible to get legislation through that would do away with exemptions all in one go, there would be huge resistance, so they have to take it one step at a time.

One small step at a time, slowly stripping away those freedoms....hurts less that way :p 

And I was made aware of a very relevant quote, which may or may not piss people off if they are aware of the author so I'll leave it nameless for now and you can pm me or google it yourself:

“The best way to take control over a people and control them utterly is to take a little of their freedom at a time, to erode rights by a thousand tiny and almost imperceptible reductions. In this way, the people will not see those rights and freedoms being removed until past the point at which these changes cannot be reversed.”

I keep coming back to this lately and wow, history really does repeat itself in scary ways.  There has to be hope somewhere in our future.....

#77 of 124 Old 03-25-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post

There is a nurse who has been quite vocal on the different articles and fb groups who has made it clear that her life goal is to get rid of all but the most strict medical exemptions.

Shit like this kills me - it's a personal agenda of attack and it has no place in the world.  I'd love to get a medical exemption for my DD but it would be damn near impossible to get an MD to openly admit that she's vax injured and that's what makes medical exemptions such a crock.

#78 of 124 Old 03-25-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfirechick View Post  I'd love to get a medical exemption for my DD but it would be damn near impossible to get an MD to openly admit that she's vax injured and that's what makes medical exemptions such a crock.

ָAs I understand the law, medical exemptions for vaccinations are for ONE vaccine for ONE year.

The issue has to be revisited each year.

A parent is never guaranteed that they will see the same doctor in some practices or ped groups; the next doctor may not agree that your child ever had a reaction or was damaged by a vaccine.

So good luck with that one.

That is another reason parents just go for the philosophical/religious exemption. 

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#79 of 124 Old 03-25-2014, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
ָAs I understand the law, medical exemptions for vaccinations are for ONE vaccine for ONE year.

I think that is right. I could *maybe* get a few exemptions for one of my girls who has a known latex allergy since some of the vials contain it, but not the rest of them.

All of my girls have medical contraindications for smallpox, which of course isn't on the schedule currently, but even then the CDC has made it quite clear they won't care in the case of an outbreak.

#80 of 124 Old 03-25-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

One small step at a time, slowly stripping away those freedoms....hurts less that way :p 

And I was made aware of a very relevant quote, which may or may not piss people off if they are aware of the author so I'll leave it nameless for now and you can pm me or google it yourself:

“The best way to take control over a people and control them utterly is to take a little of their freedom at a time, to erode rights by a thousand tiny and almost imperceptible reductions. In this way, the people will not see those rights and freedoms being removed until past the point at which these changes cannot be reversed.”

I keep coming back to this lately and wow, history really does repeat itself in scary ways.  There has to be hope somewhere in our future.....

Yes they're definitely subjecting us to the boiling frog syndrome, but I think it will be very difficult for them to get rid of religious exemptions.

#81 of 124 Old 03-25-2014, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicharronita View Post

Yes they're definitely subjecting us to the boiling frog syndrome, but I think it will be very difficult for them to get rid of religious exemptions.

Exactly  right.

#82 of 124 Old 03-26-2014, 06:40 AM

#83 of 124 Old 03-26-2014, 08:23 AM

^^^^^^

Signed

#84 of 124 Old 03-26-2014, 08:35 AM

me too!

Mirzam likes this.
#85 of 124 Old 03-26-2014, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Quote:

:W

I wonder where you got that from, lol.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#86 of 124 Old 03-26-2014, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Did this get posted yet? It is from the 21st but I hadn't read it yet...

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2014/03/21/bill-addressing-youth-vaccines-advances/

Quote:

Republican Rep. Janak Joshi, a retired physician, said “we have to give the choice to our parents and whatever they believe in.” Joshi, who represents Colorado Springs, noted that while he was vaccinated for smallpox growing up, he wasn’t immunized for anything else.

“I’m still around,” he said.

#87 of 124 Old 03-28-2014, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Here is the latest from HSLDA with contact info for the senate committee that will be hearing this...

http://www.hslda.org/cms/?q=bill/house-bill-1288-new-requirements-immunization-exemptions

And no, it is not the *Health* Committee. They have handed it over to the Senate, Veterans, and Military Affairs Committee.

#88 of 124 Old 03-31-2014, 05:36 AM

#89 of 124 Old 03-31-2014, 08:58 AM

I thought the article was good, but the comments were asinine!

Turquesa likes this.
#90 of 124 Old 03-31-2014, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

The Senate Committee hearing is set for  April 9th - see pg. 6 - http://www.leg.state.co.us/CLICS/CLICS2014A/csl.nsf/CalendarsFrameSet?OpenForm&chamber=Senate

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page