Colorado Vaccine Exemption Legistlation - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 124 Old 02-23-2014, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

The state of Colorado is looking at legislation which would make it more difficult for parents to obtain philisophical exemptions, requiring them to see a health care professional who will have to speak to them about the benefits of vaxxing and then sign off on paperwork on a yearly basis...

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2014/02/20/kids-vaccines-spotlight-state-capitol/

eta: I have about 100 thoughts on this in my head but have to go, will try to get back to it sometime today.

applejuice likes this.

#2 of 124 Old 02-23-2014, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Here is what NVIC sent out to the CO list.

Quote:

Hello All,

Today, 2/20/14, we heard from a Channel 4 News Reporter that there will be a press conference held tomorrow by Rep. Pabon to talk about a bill he plans to introduce to restrict exemptions to vaccination in Colorado. NVIC Ex. Dir. Theresa Wrangham was interviewed today for a story that will air today at 5:00 on Channel 4. 

I will you all know as soon as I know more.  We may try to get some people to the press conference tomorrow, however we do not know what time it's going to be.

Now that we know there will be a bill NVIC is going to ask for the records that I requested back in Jan.  NVIC will ask for a waiver of the $800.00 fee as a non profit organization. 

I will do my best to keep everyone updated on what's going on.  You can also register for the NVIC Advocacy Portal to receive updates at www.nvicadvocacy.org and join the Facebook Page.  If you want to join the FB Page, send me an email along with a request to join the group because the FB Page is a private group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/318067371661158/ - Colorado Coalition for Vaccine Choice

Quote:
Hello Friends,

Here's some more information on the bill that was introduced today and a link to the Channel 4 News story that aired. Theresa Wrangham drove all the way down to Denver from Louisville to provide comments on behalf of NVIC and most of her comments were not included in the story.  

Please start calling legislators now.  An alert will go out via NVIC Advocacy Portal similar to what I'm sharing with you.  This is still a draft,  but I wanted all those on my email list to know right away what the bill does and what needs to be done.

I would key on 4 of these committee members.  The Democrats who supported the bill last year to give alternative practitioners the right to practice, McCann, Schafer and Ginal and the Republican co-sponsor Rep. McNulty. All of these house members have a history of supporting health freedom or parental rights.  It is also really important for you to call your own house rep. and tell them to oppose HB 1288.  If it is passed by the committee, every single house rep. will vote on this bill.

The talking points I have listed are pretty basic.  Please let these representatives know how you personally feel about the state telling you that YOU need to be  

HB 1288 was introduced on Feb. 20, 2014 and referred to the House Health, Insurance, & Environment Committee.  This bill is sponsored in the house by Representative Pabon and co-sponsored by Representatives Court, Gardner, Gerou, Ginal, Labuda, McCann, McNulty, Peniston and Schafer. The senate sponsors are Senator Aguilar as the primary sponsor and Senators Guzman, Todd and Ulibarri as co-sponsors. 

The bill would require parents who choose to delay or exempt their child from one or more of the vaccines required for school in Colorado for personal beliefs reasons to obtain the signature of a physician or authorized representative of the Dept. of health or a certificate of completion of an on-line education module developed by the Infant Immunization Program at the Dept. of Health. 

The bill would allow the State Board of Health to determine the content of the information and how often parents will have to submit to the new requirements. 

Schools will be required to make the immunization and exemption rates of their student population publicly available. 

If passed the new laws would go into effect July 1, 2015. 

http://www.leg.state.co.us/clics/clics2014a/csl.nsf/billcontainers/94D61307D2B5926387257C360075EBCB/$FILE/1288_01.pdf - text of HB 1288

Mark your calendars and plan on attending the hearing on Thursday, March 13th - 1:30 p.m. Room 0107 Health, Insurance & Environment. WE need as many people as possible to attend, even if you don't want to testify please plan on being there.

We may try to schedule a rally, possibly before the hearing.

Also, if any of you belong to a trade group or organization that may be willing to write a letter in opposition to this bill, please let me know.

HB14-1288 Pabon--Student Immunizations Prior To School
Attendance
HB14-1281 Ginal and Joshi--Terminal Patients Investigational
Drugs
http://www.leg.state.co.us/CLICS/CLICS2014A/csl.nsf/CalendarsFrameSet?OpenForm&chamber=House ( next to the last page)
fruitfulmomma and Turquesa like this.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#3 of 124 Old 02-23-2014, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fwiw my state has that same law. It's still quite easy to get exemptions and doesn't apply to homeschooled children. So while it may look grim, even if it passes it's not a mandate for vaccination.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#4 of 124 Old 02-23-2014, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Mirzam

Quote:

If passed the new laws would go into effect July 1, 2015.

Good to know. I am due end of August and was wondering what kind of effect this law might have on refusing Hep B at birth.  (We are not in a position to homebirth at this time.) Last time we signed the waiver, no problems, but we did have a letter from our doctor just in case. Glad to see it shouldn't be an issue, at least with this one. Do you think if this passes, that once it goes into effect that parents are going to have to be concerned at the hospital? I can't remember if we are one of those states that requires it at birth, or if that is just the vit k and eye stuff???

#5 of 124 Old 02-23-2014, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Nuku, not sure if you saw my post on the other thread, but homeschoolers in CO are not excempt from vaxx law.

#6 of 124 Old 02-23-2014, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post

wondering what kind of effect this law might have on refusing Hep B at birth.  

It wouldn't affect anything at the hospital. It would only affect the process of getting an exemption for school.

applejuice likes this.
#7 of 124 Old 02-23-2014, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

I do think that it would not be hard for our family to get our doctor to sign off on the waivers but I am concerned for those families who may have a difficult time finding a good doctor. There are so many peds kicking families out of their practice for being non-vaxx, I seriously doubt they are going be signing waivers for anyone.

applejuice likes this.

#8 of 124 Old 02-23-2014, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
a certificate of completion of an on-line education module

Does anyone have this option available in their state? If so, what does it look like? Thx.

applejuice likes this.

#9 of 124 Old 02-23-2014, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Oregon's new law allows for an online module. It will be available starting March 1, 2014.

https://public.health.oregon.gov/PreventionWellness/VaccinesImmunization/GettingImmunized/Documents/SchNonmedExmptQApartners.pdf

applejuice likes this.
#10 of 124 Old 02-23-2014, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Ma2two - I will look into that.

As far as the legislation I think my primary concerns are two things 1) Retaining parental authority over medical decisions and 2)Bodily autonomy - do we really want the state legislating that a certain group of it's citizens be required to submit to whatever medical procedures or prophylactic medications they deem necessary for the public good? Currently they already do of course, but the philisophical exemption as it stands give parents the final say, whereas this legislation would basically give doctors and/or the health care department the say in whether or not the parent fulfilled the necessary requirements for an exemption.

applejuice and Songy like this.

#11 of 124 Old 02-23-2014, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

So you can smoke a recreational joint but you can't say no to vaccines.....must be thinking long term that all these kids will need to smoke heavily to overcome all the autoimmune issues and life threatening allergies they will have??  headscratch.gif

#12 of 124 Old 02-23-2014, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

From the link in post #1...

Quote:

The bill would require parents who choose not to vaccinate to receive information by a doctor or state website about the risks and benefits and to review and resign the waiver at least yearly.

Does this mean parents must go to the doctor and/or attend the online class every single year in order to receive the exemption?

ETA: I just saw the "at least" yearly part. Seriously??? I hope that was bad reporting and that they don't actually expect us to go through these silly little maneuvers every few months.

applejuice likes this.

#13 of 124 Old 02-23-2014, 06:31 PM

I've not had to get an exemption yet but a few of my friends have (for kindy--that's when it starts--no one monitors you with under school age kids) and yes, it's every year. Most everyone I know gets theirs when they bring their child in for their yearly WCV. It's a stock form and the doc just checks the boxes of the vaxxes the child doesn't have and signs it. They do these all day every day since even if you skip CP you need a waiver. Like I said, it's annoying, but it's not a major scary deal as long as you have a vax friendly doc (which I hope anyone who doesn't vax or does S/D had anyway) and either an MD or ND can sign it.
applejuice likes this.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#14 of 124 Old 02-23-2014, 06:33 PM

They just hand you the Dept of health info sheet about the vax(xes) you have declined. We don't have an online option so I have no idea what that would be like. I'm sure it would be humorously propaganda filled for those of us who are well researched.
applejuice and Turquesa like this.

#15 of 124 Old 02-24-2014, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Propaganda from the sponsor organizations... (This is a downloadable file)

http://www.coloradokids.org/file_download/63264839-df93-4738-90f0-833dc124f960

FB page of one of them if anyone wants to tell them what they think... https://www.facebook.com/coloradokidsorg

applejuice likes this.

#16 of 124 Old 02-24-2014, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukuspot View Post

They just hand you the Dept of health info sheet about the vax(xes) you have declined. We don't have an online option so I have no idea what that would be like. I'm sure it would be humorously propaganda filled for those of us who are well researched.

I can't wait. I'm sure we'll see the same black-and-white thinking as always: "This is called an iron lung. Scary, isn't it? Now run and get your children vaccinated for Hep B . . . "
applejuice and sassyfirechick like this.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#17 of 124 Old 02-25-2014, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Must read the Talking Points toward the end of this page...

http://www.chec.org/blog/parental-rights-re-immunizations-health-care-etc-action-needed-now/

applejuice likes this.

#18 of 124 Old 02-25-2014, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

#19 of 124 Old 03-05-2014, 08:49 AM

A follow-up from the CO NVIC rep.

It is clear that the Representatives sponsoring the bill have drunk the koolaid and totally believe in vaccination myth. Not much hope in changing their minds I fear.

Quote:

Hello Friends,

I wanted to give you some feedback from my visit to see Rep. Geuro (Republican co-sponsor of the bill) and Rep. Swalm, Republican on the health committee.

Rep. Geuro was pretty hostile and didn’t really want to listen to what I had to say.  She said, “doesn’t matter” several times.  When I did ask her a question that she felt uncomfortable with she said, “I won’t be boxed into a corner.”  She’s very pro vaccine and doesn’t think this bill restricts rights.  She thinks everyone should be informed.  When I told her I thought the education coming from the BOH would be biased she said, “well, then that’s another bill.”  She also said the health care worker flu mandate saved her 90 year old mother’s life because she is fragile and in a nursing home. She said she wasn’t going to talk about black helicopters and conspiracy theories (not sure where that was coming from).  She had never heard of NVIC and had never heard of the Vaccine Injury Compensation Program.  She said she was hearing from a lot of people, but no one in her district.  She’s in Evergreen, HD 25.

I had an appointment with Rep. Swalm and was headed to that when I saw him walking out the door.  Not sure what happen there.  I stopped him and he said, “I’m going to support that bill, I don’t know why anyone wouldn’t vaccinate their kids, my wife is a nurse, my daughter is a nurse, we got all those diseases when we were young (guess he was referred to the older generation), this doesn’t take away rights.”  Also, mentioned something about those people who think vaccines cause autism.  He has a problem with that, so if you talk to him, stay away from that issue.

Has anyone talked to Rep. Sue Schafer or Steve Humphrey?

I wanted to share with you a link to the “education” module that came out March 1st in Oregon.  You can check it out if you want to.  I watched the DTaP module and thought it was pure propaganda - http://public.health.oregon.gov/PreventionWellness/VaccinesImmunization/GettingImmunized/Pages/non-medical-exemption.aspx#parents

An interesting study was just published that sort of ties into this module and the way it tries to change a parent’s mind.  According to this study, it’s not working and it may even be backfiring.

http://www.enewspf.com/latest-news/health-and-fitness/50629-when-pro-vaccine-messages-backfire-study-examines-effectiveness-of-interventions-on-parents-intent-to-vaccinate.html - news story

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/early/2014/02/25/peds.2013-2365.abstract?sid=4c82b05f-5ad9-4ab5-b91e-b187e909c237 – abstract

I do think some legislators would listen to the argument that this bill could backfire, that it’s only going to make parents mad, that it’s a waste of time and money to do this and at the very least, Colorado shouldn’t jump on this bandwagon when more research needs to be done.

Have an appointment to go see Rep. Joshi next Monday. He is opposed, so I’m sure that meeting will be better.

applejuice, Turquesa and BeckyBird like this.

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#20 of 124 Old 03-05-2014, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Ugh.  It's truly sad that these are personal opinions being pushed on people.

Quote:
She also said the health care worker flu mandate saved her 90 year old mother’s life because she is fragile and in a nursing home. She said she wasn’t going to talk about black helicopters and conspiracy theories (not sure where that was coming from). She had never heard of NVIC and had never heard of the Vaccine Injury Compensation Program.

Ok personal opinions and just plain old ignorance.  And seriously HOW do you make an informed decision to force people to comply with some mandate when you don't even KNOW about all sides of the story - how can anyone in the vaccine legislation realm not know about VICP?!  That right there should be illegal.  You're all for forcing people to vax, but you've got no clue that vaccines can be dangerous and have side effects that may warrant lifelong medical treatment thus the invention of a program to compensate people for those injuries??!

And "those people" believing that vaccines are related to autism...for shame!  I mean those scientists must somehow be of a lesser caliber....wtf?  It's truly disgusting how far they are willing to go to trample on human rights and how willing so many people are for this to happen.

applejuice and BeckyBird like this.
#21 of 124 Old 03-05-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfirechick View Post

Ugh.  It's truly sad that these are personal opinions being pushed on people.

Quote:
She also said the health care worker flu mandate saved her 90 year old mother’s life because she is fragile and in a nursing home. She said she wasn’t going to talk about black helicopters and conspiracy theories (not sure where that was coming from). She had never heard of NVIC and had never heard of the Vaccine Injury Compensation Program.

Ok personal opinions and just plain old ignorance.  And seriously HOW do you make an informed decision to force people to comply with some mandate when you don't even KNOW about all sides of the story - how can anyone in the vaccine legislation realm not know about VICP?!  That right there should be illegal.  You're all for forcing people to vax, but you've got no clue that vaccines can be dangerous and have side effects that may warrant lifelong medical treatment thus the invention of a program to compensate people for those injuries??!

And "those people" believing that vaccines are related to autism...for shame!  I mean those scientists must somehow be of a lesser caliber....wtf?  It's truly disgusting how far they are willing to go to trample on human rights and how willing so many people are for this to happen.

Yep, the people of CO voted for ignorance. Pitiful.

#22 of 124 Old 03-05-2014, 04:28 PM

Ugh. I'm fed up today I saw a lot of name calling and rudeness toward vaccine skeptics today elsewhere. The co thing makes me paranoid that the USA is moving toward abolishing all exemptions eventually.
applejuice, serenbat and BeckyBird like this.
#23 of 124 Old 03-06-2014, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)

It doesn't mean those numbers are going to rise! IF anything I'm sure this woke up more that were not fully aware, I don't see that as bad.

Sad all around, I love how out of one side of their mouths government/legislators say they want government out of your "personal" lives yet say out of the other side this stuff needs to be done. My state started to push for vaginal probes, my Governor told women to just turn their head away……. that feel flat when legislators were called out on it. Sometimes things do get over turned. :(

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#24 of 124 Old 03-06-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

It doesn't mean those numbers are going to rise! IF anything I'm sure this woke up more that were not fully aware, I don't see that as bad.
Sad all around, I love how out of one side of their mouths government/legislators say they want government out of your "personal" lives yet say out of the other side this stuff needs to be done. My state started to push for vaginal probes, my Governor told women to just turn their head away……. that feel flat when legislators were called out on it. Sometimes things do get over turned. greensad.gif

Vaginal probes? What do you mean?
caned & able likes this.
#25 of 124 Old 03-06-2014, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

That would be transvaginal ultrasound scans for what reason?

caned & able and serenbat like this.
#26 of 124 Old 03-06-2014, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

I assume she is talking about abortion legislation. I would appreciate if we didn't stray off on to that topic though. Thanks.

applejuice and caned & able like this.

#27 of 124 Old 03-06-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandyBeavers View Post

Vaginal probes? What do you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post

That would be transvaginal ultrasound scans for what reason?

YUP! sounds like real FUN doesn't it? This is what my great state of PA tried to push - http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2012/03/transvaginal-ultrasounds-coming-soon-state-near-you

http://crooksandliars.com/david/pennsylvania-gov-women-just-close-your-eyes-

"just turn your head" brought to you buy the fine gentleMAN from PA who also said that you know, gay marriage is "like" incest http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/04/tom-corbett-gay-marriage-incest_n_4043202.html  he's a winner! :irked

applejuice and caned & able like this.

&

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#28 of 124 Old 03-06-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post

I assume she is talking about abortion legislation. I would appreciate if we didn't stray off on to that topic though. Thanks.

all I meant is when states try and push medical type issues the public does wake up and takes notice that non-medical people are making medical decisions and that tends to not go over well

many people don't even know things are in-acted at the state level until it effects them - in CO parents of non-school aged children may not even have this on their radar yet, things can always be reversed 

&

#29 of 124 Old 03-06-2014, 01:06 PM

my state is Offit's state and he is pushing to do away with religious exemption here

&

#30 of 124 Old 03-06-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nia82 View Post

Ugh. I'm fed up today I saw a lot of name calling and rudeness toward vaccine skeptics today elsewhere. The co thing makes me paranoid that the USA is moving toward abolishing all exemptions eventually.

Wouldn't surprise me if more famlies then decided to emigrate out of the USA.  

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page