Mysterious polio-like illness affects kids in California - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 51 Old 02-25-2014, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

BTW, another name for Guillan Barre Syndrome is French polio.

Google French Polio, and you get links to GBS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillain%E2%80%93Barr%C3%A9_syndrome

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/French+Polio

Just sayin'.

BeckyBird likes this.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#32 of 51 Old 02-25-2014, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
That's helpful to know. Thanks.
applejuice likes this.
#33 of 51 Old 02-25-2014, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm not here often lately, but I know I can always rely on folks here to have more useful information than the mass media.  Thank you--subscribing.

By the way, one article I read (that I can't find now!) mentioned that one little girl with symptoms had a mass on the nerves in either her arm or her spine.  I wonder how that figures into the picture.

applejuice and BeckyBird like this.
#34 of 51 Old 02-25-2014, 06:41 PM

This is interesting. from http://news.yahoo.com/polio-disease-appears-california-children-074000774.html?bcmt_s=m#ugccmt-container

Quote:
 Van Haren, who diagnosed Sofia, said polio vaccines do not protect children from the disease, but he stressed that it is still important for children to receive that vaccine.

I love doublespeak!

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#35 of 51 Old 02-25-2014, 06:50 PM

ke
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post

This is interesting. from http://news.yahoo.com/polio-disease-appears-california-children-074000774.html?bcmt_s=m#ugccmt-container
I love doublespeak!

I questioned that statement too....
#36 of 51 Old 02-25-2014, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)

I think he meant that polio vaccine does not protect against enterovirus-68, not that polio vaccine doesn't protect against polio.

I'm betting that this is an advance marketing effort for a new enterovirus-68 vaccine to hit the schedule. If enough panic is generated, they'll make it a thimerosal-preserved multi-dose vial, and give it to newborns and pregnant women.

applejuice and sassyfirechick like this.
#37 of 51 Old 02-25-2014, 09:04 PM

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15302951

"Enterovirus (EV) 68 was originally isolated in California in 1962 from four children with respiratory illness. Since that time, reports of EV68 isolation have been very uncommon. Between 1989 and 2003, 12 additional EV68 clinical isolates were identified and characterized, all of which were obtained from respiratory specimens of patients with respiratory tract illnesses. No EV68 isolates from enteric specimens have been identified from these same laboratories."

What the heck are they spraying in California?

#38 of 51 Old 02-25-2014, 09:12 PM

Well, there IS a vaccine in development for a different enterovirus, enterovirus-71.

I wonder if the polio vaccine and Rotashield caused other enteroviruses to mutate?

applejuice likes this.
#39 of 51 Old 02-25-2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

Well, there IS a vaccine in development for a different enterovirus, enterovirus-71.

I wonder if the polio vaccine and Rotashield caused other enteroviruses to mutate?

Sad.  Why not?

#40 of 51 Old 02-26-2014, 05:04 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)

I didn't see this posted - (gasp!---) according to this - it is enterovirus 68 and two have tested positive and all are vaccinated for polio, but it's well, not, let's back up, we are not calling it you know……..ah, no connection, ah ah ah ah

this is edited - if anyone finds the whole thing I would really like to see it

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/is-a-wave-of-poliolike-symptoms-in-california-cause-for-alarm/

These children did not test positive for polio, but two of the children did test positive for a different kind of enterovirus, enterovirus 68. What’s your theory for what’s going on here?
Acute flaccid paralysis, that’s acute paralysis of parts of the body–in this case the limbs, can result from a variety of viruses including polio virus and non-polio enteroviruses including enterovirus 68, West Nile Disease, echovirus and adenoviruses. Most people who get enteroviruses have mild symptoms and no testing is ever done on them. I think we’re looking at a rare outcome in these children.

​I found this interesting - but well, that's me! 

So what would spark an enterovirus to cause paralysis when that’s such a rare symptom?
It’s probably a combination of how the host interacts with the virus. If you think about a condition like chicken pox it used to infect basically every single child in the U.S. With four million cases a year a hundred kids died. Why did those kids die? It’s really hard to explain. It’s an interaction of the virus and the host. Either genetically they didn’t cope with the virus as well or they got an unusually high dose of the virus, it’s hard to say.

applejuice and lonicera like this.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#41 of 51 Old 02-26-2014, 06:02 AM

So maybe a type of serotype replacement maybe?

It's awful for those children. Bad outcomes. I hope scientists study the virus(es) more closely. In contrast the news about the mumps outbreak in NY in fully vaccinated children made big waves with no poor outcomes - shouldn't this enterovirus get more coverage?

#42 of 51 Old 02-26-2014, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2014/02/puzzling-polio-illness-reported-5-california-children

Quote:

Cases were included in the study if the children had paralysis in one or more limbs with abnormal MRI scans of the spinal cord that explained the paralysis. They excluded children who met criteria for Guillain-Barre syndrome and botulism, which can cause similar symptoms.

The five children experienced paralysis of one or more arms or legs that began suddenly and reached peak severity within 2 days of onset. Three of the children had a respiratory illness before the symptoms began. All of the children had been previously vaccinated against poliovirus.

Despite treatment, the children's symptoms did not improve, and they still had poor limb function after 6 months, the AAN said. Two of them tested positive for EV-68.

"Our findings have important implications for disease surveillance, testing and treatment," said Van Haren. "We would like to stress that this syndrome appears to be very, very rare. Any time a parent sees symptoms of paralysis in a child, the child should be seen by a doctor right away."

applejuice, serenbat and BeckyBird like this.
#43 of 51 Old 02-26-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmy526 View Post

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2014/02/puzzling-polio-illness-reported-5-california-children

ases were included in the study if the children had paralysis in one or more limbs with abnormal MRI scans of the spinal cord that explained the paralysis. They excluded children who met criteria for Guillain-Barre syndrome and botulism, which can cause similar symptoms.

The five children experienced paralysis of one or more arms or legs that began suddenly and reached peak severity within 2 days of onset. Three of the children had a respiratory illness before the symptoms began. All of the children had been previously vaccinated against poliovirus.

Despite treatment, the children's symptoms did not improve, and they still had poor limb function after 6 months, the AAN said. Two of them tested positive for EV-68.

"Our findings have important implications for disease surveillance, testing and treatment," said Van Haren. "We would like to stress that this syndrome appears to be very, very rare. Any time a parent sees symptoms of paralysis in a child, the child should be seen by a doctor right away."

Unless, of course, your daughter just got Gardasil, in which case she will be diagnosed with conversion disorder and given anti-anxiety medication...

#44 of 51 Old 02-26-2014, 01:49 PM

I wonder if any of these kids were part of the test group for infant Gardasil?

applejuice likes this.
#45 of 51 Old 02-26-2014, 01:56 PM

It isn't like it's been 20 kids in a few weeks---It's been since 2012.  They are just releasing it now.  And all the 20 kids were fully vaccinated for polio.  They are thinking it's another enterovirus (which polio and other common viruses like hand foot and mouth) are part of the same grouping.  And that the virus itself is relatively common but in rare cases it can cause severe effects like paralysis.  The CNN article http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/25/health/california-mystery-disease/ specifically says it is NOT polio and all the kids were fully UTD on polio vaccine, but then still degenerates at the end into a "get your kids vaccinated for polio" spiel.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#46 of 51 Old 02-26-2014, 03:22 PM

Edited.
#47 of 51 Old 02-26-2014, 03:23 PM

This seems to be one of the more informative articles that I have read in the past day:
http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/25/health/california-mystery-disease/

Oops sorry Nukuspot, same article that you posted. I should have read your post first.
applejuice and nukuspot like this.
#48 of 51 Old 02-27-2014, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

http://www.fiercevaccines.com/story/cdc-not-unduly-alarmed-cases-polio-illness-california/2014-02-27

Quote:
CDC is 'not unduly alarmed' by cases of a polio-like illness in California

Quote:
The cases have prompted a slew of media coverage, but the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has played down fears. So far the Stanford team has confirmed 5 cases of acute flaccid paralysis (AFP)--the symptoms seen in polio cases--and suspects up to 20 children may have been affected over the past 18 months. While expressing concern for the families involved, the Stanford researchers and CDC have sought to reassure the public that California is not facing an epidemic of a polio-like illness.

seems more like denial to me

applejuice likes this.
#49 of 51 Old 03-04-2014, 04:07 AM

You know, some children with autism have motor control issues and poor muscle tone--and intestinal issues. I wonder if these cases of acute flaccid paralysis are related to the kind of vaccine injury seen in autistic children, and whether EV-68 (or other enterovirus exposure) combined with a vaccine visit is a causal factor.
#50 of 51 Old 03-04-2014, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:

You know, some children with autism have motor control issues and poor muscle tone--and intestinal issues. I wonder if these cases of acute flaccid paralysis are related to the kind of vaccine injury seen in autistic children, and whether EV-68 (or other enterovirus exposure) combined with a vaccine visit is a causal factor.

But that would mean admitting vaccine injuries exist and might add a notch in the belt of "vaccines being relate to autism"...:lurk

applejuice likes this.
#51 of 51 Old 03-04-2014, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Quote:

You can do a titer test for EV-68 - that would be interesting to see who does have it. It might be worth knowing for some people.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page