How healthy are the kids in Mississippi and West Virginia compared to the rest of the U.S.? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 02-27-2014, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I've been curious about this since these are the states with very strict laws for vaccination.

The google gods haven't been kind to me in my searches, but I did come across some data on http://www.childhealthdata.org/ where you can compare a state's standing in certain areas (like "Children ages 0-17 whose overall health status is excellent or very good") against the nation's.

You can pick the criteria you want to compare here: http://www.childhealthdata.org/browse/snapshots#

So this is a snapshot of Mississippi versus the nation:

And here's WVA:

As you can see the children with health conditions rate slightly worse than the nation in these criteria.

Feel free to post any additional information you've found about these two states.

applejuice, serenbat and BeckyBird like this.

#2 of 13 Old 02-28-2014, 03:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mississippi is the poorest state in the union. West Virginia is the seventh poorest. I would imagine that that might account for these discrepancies.
#3 of 13 Old 02-28-2014, 05:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

The water problem and the coal IMO certainly is not a winning combo for West Virginia!        SAD those poor families and yet another generation of children exposed to these conditions! The obesity rates in both states aren't winners either in my book.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#4 of 13 Old 02-28-2014, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by appalled20 View Post

Mississippi is the poorest state in the union. West Virginia is the seventh poorest. I would imagine that that might account for these discrepancies.

Yes.  Health comes down to far more than vaccine status.  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#5 of 13 Old 02-28-2014, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

The last few comments make me think of this meme:

#6 of 13 Old 02-28-2014, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

MS and WV are in the bottom 5-10% of every single way of measuring things in this nation, ESPECIALLY health.

#7 of 13 Old 03-01-2014, 01:02 PM

This reminds me of two different articles on birth: one mentioned how Louisiana has some of the least midwife and out-of-hospital-friendly laws. The other mentioned how the same state has some of the worst birth outcomes for mothers and baby. Coincidence? Unlikely. In any case, it seems the laws in place aren't HELPING the problem and the "powers that be" are focusing their efforts in the wrong direction.

I would say that it is probably similar for MS and WV. Even if those laws aren't CAUSING the problem, they aren't helping. They aren't educating parents on healthy lifestyle, helping familes take responsibility for their health, making sure healthy food is an option for everyone, making communities walk and bike-able, etc. The lawmakers see a problem: unhealthy children. The solution: mandantory vax. "There, that should do it!" They probably feel oh-so-good about how they are "improving" the health of the children. And maybe even think that is all they need to do, thanks to the impressive lobbying ability of big pharma. I am from the South originally, I had never even HEARD of any sort of alternative medicine. It would never have even occured to me to question vaccination or what my doctor said. And, even then, I was WAS more health- and alternative- minded than ANYONE else I knew. (They thought I was weird THEN! Lol.)

So, the parents in MS and WV DON'T have a choice. Rrrrrachel can mince words and pretend all she wants. It isn't presented as a choice. That is not how the doctors, schools, CDC, and health clinics (all in postions of authority) present it. Most people wouldn't even think that homeschooling would be an option. (And, who watches your children during the day when you work since day care centers require vax, too. It really annoys me that it is even suggested as this being a "choice." Choice means actually having two options and shouldn't mean one comes with a long list of impossible or nearly-impossible obstacles. A choice for the wealthy and highly educated maybe, but what percentage of people in MS or WV meet that criteria? Pitifully few. Saying it is a choice might make people FEEL better about the law. But it isn't reality.)
kathymuggle likes this.

bftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif  novaxnoIRC.gifmom to 1 DD (4/13) luxlove.gif

#8 of 13 Old 03-01-2014, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw the headline of the thread. I thought it was a discussion on poverty and how it effects children's health in general.

That could also be a reason why they are so strict about vaccinations. They probably use the logic that people are often too poor and uneducated to take care of their health, therefore an outbreak could happen more easily. Not saying I agree with that logic, but that could be their thinking...or their experience from before vaccinations were available. 

applejuice likes this.
#9 of 13 Old 03-01-2014, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarroq View Post

Quote:

That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw the headline of the thread. I thought it was a discussion on poverty and how it effects children's health in general.

That could also be a reason why they are so strict about vaccinations. They probably use the logic that people are often too poor and uneducated to take care of their health, therefore an outbreak could happen more easily. Not saying I agree with that logic, but that could be their thinking...or their experience from before vaccinations were available. 

It appears that so far vaccinations and magic fluoride water aren't making much of a dent in poor kids' health. 

applejuice likes this.

#10 of 13 Old 03-01-2014, 02:22 PM

Its been a few years since I checked but WV has the fewest # of mandatory school vaccines on schedule.  its a pretty good deal compared to other states.

I do not believe in the correlation you are trying to make.. likely it is the poor status, as well as pollution.  So regarding their "mandatory" vaccines, their school schedule is much less crowded than most other states so parents at least don't have quite as many to get although it would be interesting to know if in fact young kids get all the ones on schedule, same as rest of country, regardless of their school requirements being fewer.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
#11 of 13 Old 03-01-2014, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Believe me I don't think I have any definite answers about this; I started the thread mostly out of curiosity, hoping to get more information about these states.

It makes me sad to think that with all the problems the parents in the two states are facing, they are getting vaccines shoved down their throats on top of it all even if it's not as many as other states.
applejuice likes this.

#12 of 13 Old 03-01-2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmum35 View Post

Its been a few years since I checked but WV has the fewest # of mandatory school vaccines on schedule.  its a pretty good deal compared to other states.

If you can get a waiver (and almost everyone else in most other states can) then having few mandatory for school vaccines still means WV children need to have more vaccine than say a child in Florida (who can get in with none).

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#13 of 13 Old 03-01-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songy View Post

I would say that it is probably similar for MS and WV. Even if those laws aren't CAUSING the problem, they aren't helping. They aren't educating parents on healthy lifestyle, helping familes take responsibility for their health, making sure healthy food is an option for everyone, making communities walk and bike-able, etc. The lawmakers see a problem: unhealthy children. The solution: mandantory vax. "There, that should do it!" They probably feel oh-so-good about how they are "improving" the health of the children. 

I completely agree.  Those who are the healthiest are those who take ownership of their own health (be it addicitions, weight, etc).  Telling people what to do is (vaccinate or they cannot go to school) is pretty much the opposite of creating an environment where people take ownership of their own health.  

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page