H1N1 During Pregnancy - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-02-2014, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

So friend of mine, 36wks pregnant, just got out the hospital after a near week long stint tested positive with H1N1.  Doesn't do flu vax so I'm sure she got an earful while there, but she said all the staff was impressed by how quickly she recovered.  Question: assumedly she will have phenomenal immunity for the future - what about the baby?  Any links out there about the effects of having the flu while pregnant in terms of the babies health outcome for future (like immunity)?  I'm guessing she was on antibiotics and fever reducers while in the hospital, I didn't really ask, but we've chatted about vaxxing and she does vax for most things but is totally supportive of those who don't so I wanted to maybe pass along some info for her.  She did develop pre-e during the ordeal and will be having a c-sec this week (baby ill be 37wks so basically full term), but I'm sure probiotics will be a necessary to counteract the antibiotics.  Anything else I can share with her?

applejuice likes this.
#2 of 10 Old 03-02-2014, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)

Is she expecting a boy or girl?

applejuice likes this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#3 of 10 Old 03-02-2014, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Boy

#4 of 10 Old 03-02-2014, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)

Well, this is my take, it is a little fear based (or reality based - take your pick).

I asked about gender because my mind went straight to autism.  Autism is more common in boys than girls, and if she was expecting a girl, I  would not be overly worried.

Flu during pregnancy does seem to be linked to a higher rate of autism.  I am not sure if it is the fever, the fever reducers, the antibiotics, the flu vaccine, etc…but it is concerning.

pre-eclampsia and autism are also linked:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19936906

I think both induction and c-section are associated with a higher ASD risk, however if she has pre-e it might be unavoidable.  I am not sure which is riskier - induction or c-section (anyone?).  I did have pre-e with my first birth, was induced and gave birth vaginally.  So - some with pre-e can give birth vaginally.  It is up to her and her health care provider.

Honeslty, given his rough fetal start in life, i would be fairly careful during his early years.  I would: 

-Not vaccinate (duh, lol). 2nd choice - Delay to age 3 at least and go very slowly once you do decide to vaccinate.  If she will not go for that, perhaps she can be talked out of the Hep. b at birth.

-breastfeed

-not use daycare if at all possible for the first few years.   I would try hard to minimise the likelihood of wanting/needing to use fever reducers and/or antibiotics - and daycares can be breeding grounds for illness.  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#5 of 10 Old 03-02-2014, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfirechick View Post

So friend of mine, 36wks pregnant, just got out the hospital after a near week long stint tested positive with H1N1.  Doesn't do flu vax so I'm sure she got an earful while there, but she said all the staff was impressed by how quickly she recovered.  Question: assumedly she will have phenomenal immunity for the future - what about the baby?  Any links out there about the effects of having the flu while pregnant in terms of the babies health outcome for future (like immunity)?  I'm guessing she was on antibiotics and fever reducers while in the hospital, I didn't really ask, but we've chatted about vaxxing and she does vax for most things but is totally supportive of those who don't so I wanted to maybe pass along some info for her.  She did develop pre-e during the ordeal and will be having a c-sec this week (baby ill be 37wks so basically full term), but I'm sure probiotics will be a necessary to counteract the antibiotics.  Anything else I can share with her?

at least your friend is not in the UK (I'm assuming) - http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/brain-damaged-uk-victims-swine-flu-vaccine-get-60-million-compensation-1438572

I agree with what Kathy mentioned- I do worry more about males but I know a sever female with autism - it does happen!

Hope things work out well - sorry to hear!

applejuice and caned & able like this.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#6 of 10 Old 03-02-2014, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys! Will pass info along.  She sent me a message today about how the hospital staff told her the current flu vax wouldn't have made a difference even if she had gotten it bc it doesn't contain H1N1 and that the current vax is ineffective this year as the circulating strain most common is same as 1950's so they clearly guessed wrong formulating that one!

applejuice and caned & able like this.
#7 of 10 Old 03-02-2014, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks guys! Will pass info along.  She sent me a message today about how the hospital staff told her the current flu vax wouldn't have made a difference even if she had gotten it bc it doesn't contain H1N1 and that the current vax is ineffective this year as the circulating strain most common is same as 1950's so they clearly guessed wrong formulating that one!

Can't help but wonder if they lied to her...according to the CDC:  http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season/flu-season-2013-2014.htm

Quote:

What flu viruses does this season’s vaccine protect against?

Flu vaccines are designed to protect against the influenza viruses that experts predict will be the most common during the upcoming season. Three kinds of influenza viruses commonly circulate among people today: Influenza A (H1N1) viruses, influenza A (H3N2) viruses, and influenza B viruses. Each year, these viruses are used to produce seasonal influenza vaccine.

The 2013-2014 trivalent influenza vaccine is made from the following three viruses:

• an A/California/7/2009 (H1N1)pdm09-like virus;
  • an A(H3N2) virus antigenically like the cell-propagated prototype virus A/Victoria/361/2011;
  • a B/Massachusetts/2/2012-like virus.

#8 of 10 Old 03-06-2014, 09:28 PM

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Well if she and to bf she will passim those immunities but I'm sure you already know that lol

DH 31; Me 30; DD 5; DS 1; Baby due Dec 17th
#9 of 10 Old 03-07-2014, 12:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had the flu during the second trimester of my first pregnancy, and I am pretty sure that it was the 'Swine Flu' as that is what was going around.  I didn't go to the hospital though, so I didn't get antibiotics or anything else for that matter.  I didn't have pre-e, but eventually had a c-section (and a son).  He is super healthy, not vaxed, shows no signs of being on the spectrum, oh and was bf until 3 1/2 pretty regularly, then occasionally until 4yo.  I have no medical facts, but maybe a glimmer of hope for a healthy babe! 

I was wondering if my immunities from that bout of the flu 4 1/2 years ago would pass along to my 6mo old nursling now... hmmmm, I hope so!

I agree with kathymuggle's list of suggestions: no vaxing, no daycare, and breastfeed breastfeed, breastfeed!

sassyfirechick likes this.
#10 of 10 Old 03-07-2014, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/vaccine-604283-vaccines-flu.html

Well, according to this article posted in the measles thread,the flu vax is 60% effective this year. So who is right now? But I bet if I read another ten articles on the flu vax for this season, I most likely will end up with 10 different numbers on the effectiveness.

sassyfirechick likes this.

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
―Socrates

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page