Measles in CA - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-06-2014, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)

Can someone who's smart help me understand this? headscratch.gif

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/vaccine-604283-vaccines-flu.html

In Orange County, two of the four measles patients diagnosed since December had been vaccinated.

State officials say only 1 percent of fully vaccinated people are susceptible to measles infection. Cheung said immune response can vary.

What are the odds of those 2 both being in that 1%??? WOW what odds! 

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2014, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

Can someone who's smart help me understand this? headscratch.gif

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/vaccine-604283-vaccines-flu.html

In Orange County, two of the four measles patients diagnosed since December had been vaccinated.

State officials say only 1 percent of fully vaccinated people are susceptible to measles infection. Cheung said immune response can vary.

What are the odds of those 2 both being in that 1%??? WOW what odds! 

The 1% refers to the fully vaccinated population. If 200 vaccinated people were exposedto measles at the same time and only those 2 came down with it them that's actually about right.. I think it would be more interesting to find out how many unvaccinated people were exposed to the measles in this outbreak--and didn't GET measles.

Also important to realize that all "knowledge" of MMR afficacy and safety is from a time before children were injected with so many other vaccibpnr, which can totally change immune response.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

The 1% refers to the fully vaccinated population. If 200 vaccinated people were exposedto measles at the same time and only those 2 came down with it them that's actually about right.. I think it would be more interesting to find out how many unvaccinated people were exposed to the measles in this outbreak--and didn't GET measles.

Also important to realize that all "knowledge" of MMR afficacy and safety is from a time before children were injected with so many other vaccibpnr, which can totally change immune response.

That was my understanding - I just loved the comments - the % really doesn't matter as long as they are above 0%! Everything is just great with a vaccine about nothing - according to DR! :bgbounce

One could look at only 4 with measles and see two were vaccinated and the two got it and say 50%!! We have no clue how many were exposed. But it does not say if the two that were vaccinated had both doses, since now you need both to be at 99%?!

&

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Old 03-07-2014, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Quote: “If we continue to not maximize the use of vaccines, we will continue to see people becoming ill and dying from all these diseases like influenza, pertussis and now measles,” Dr. Gil Chavez, epidemiologist for the state Department of Public Health, said during a recent media.

OMG, we are all going to die!

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
―Socrates

Old 03-07-2014, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minerva23 View Post

Quote: “If we continue to not maximize the use of vaccines, we will continue to see people becoming ill and dying from all these diseases like influenza, pertussis and now measles,” Dr. Gil Chavez, epidemiologist for the state Department of Public Health, said during a recent media.

OMG, we are all going to die!  :eyesroll

I have so much trouble thinking this is the only generation in civilization that has survived thus far, all due to vaccines! 

&

Old 03-08-2014, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

I have so much trouble thinking this is the only generation in civilization that has survived thus far, all due to vaccines! 

Yeah, how did mankind make it thus far without all these necessary vaccines? Unbelievable!

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
―Socrates

Old 03-08-2014, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)

^^^^^^

I was talking to my 79 year old mom today who told me she got a letter in the mail from her GP because she hadn't been in for so long and they hadn't tested her blood pressure! I guess they were hoping for a sale. Dutifully she went in and her her blood pressure taken, NORMAL. The nurse listen to her chest - my mom has been a smoker since her early 20s - she said her chest sounded like a 20 year old. She asked her what medication she was on - NONE. So she left with the instructions to keep doing what she is doing (basically nothing special). Her brother, my uncle turns 91 tomorrow and looks and acts (goes ballroom dancing once a week) like a man in his early 70s. She told me (which I did't know), her grandmother died aged 98, and her cousin Aida just turned 100. Here generation got maybe two vaccines, diphtheria and smallpox. I fear they are a dying breed.

ETA: she had been getting the flu vax the last couple of years, I made her promised, just for me, never to get another one. She agreed.

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
Old 03-08-2014, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

ETA: she had been getting the flu vax the last couple of years, I made her promised, just for me, never to get another one. She agreed.

GOOD! If she gets browbeaten by some medical "professional" and starts to waiver, be sure to tell her my mom's story.

Mother's flu vaccine reaction

My mother is also an elderly long-time smoker, but she was in fine health until these pharma pill pushers got her on multiple meds. 

Old 03-08-2014, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicharronita View Post

GOOD! If she gets browbeaten by some medical "professional" and starts to waiver, be sure to tell her my mom's story.

Mother's flu vaccine reaction

My mother is also an elderly long-time smoker, but she was in fine health until these pharma pill pushers got her on multiple meds. 

I am sorry about your mom. My mom is pretty skeptical about doctors and medicines. Meds tend to make her sick so she avoids them when she can, she got an ear infection a while back and was given antibiotics, she took one, threw up at the supermarket, so never took the rest. Her ear infection cleared up nicely on its own. I will keep hammering on at her to refuse the flu shot. Trouble is her brothers go in religiously for theirs every year. I told her to tell them she had had it if they ask!!!!

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
Old 03-08-2014, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minerva23 View Post

Yeah, how did mankind make it thus far without all these necessary vaccines? Unbelievable!

I would love to know too!

&

Tags
Vaccinations
User Tag List