Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 03-12-2014, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

from the CDC pink book:

"Subacute sclerosing panencephalitis (SSPE) is a rare degen- erative central nervous system disease believed to be due to persistent measles virus infection of the brain. Onset occurs an average of 7 years after measles (range 1 month–27 years), and occurs in five to ten cases per million reported measles cases."

It seems really rare.

This is from the CDC website, 

"Analysis of data from an outbreak of measles in the United States during 1989-1991 suggests a rate of 4-11 cases of SSPE per 100,000 cases of measles. A risk factor for developing this disease is measles infection at an early age. Studies in the United Kingdom indicate that 18 out of every 100,000 people who get measles when they are less than a year old will develop SSPE. "  http://www.cdc.gov/measles/about/complications.html

So 1 out of around 5,500 who develop measles under the age of 1 will get SSPE according to studies from the UK. 

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson 
#32 of 40 Old 03-12-2014, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacozy View Post

So 1 out of around 5,500 who develop measles under the age of 1 will get SSPE according to studies from the UK. 

So in other words, it's a very rare complication for cases in babies under 1 year old. The OP's child is 20 months old.

applejuice and stellanyc like this.
#33 of 40 Old 03-12-2014, 10:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2two View Post

So in other words, it's a very rare complication for cases in babies under 1 year old. The OP's child is 20 months old.

True, but NY is a big place and other people may be looking for information.

In any case, my cdc link says 4-11 per 100,000. That's a lot more than the 4 cases per million mentioned in the previous post. A risk as high as possibly 1 in 10,000 is something the OP and others may want to consider when deciding.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson 
#34 of 40 Old 03-12-2014, 10:37 PM

This is the "I'm Not Vaccinating" subforum, teacozy.

Mirzam and applejuice like this.
#35 of 40 Old 03-13-2014, 05:16 AM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacozy View Post

This is from the CDC website, 

"Analysis of data from an outbreak of measles in the United States during 1989-1991 suggests a rate of 4-11 cases of SSPE per 100,000 cases of measles. A risk factor for developing this disease is measles infection at an early age. Studies in the United Kingdom indicate that 18 out of every 100,000 people who get measles when they are less than a year old will develop SSPE. "  http://www.cdc.gov/measles/about/complications.html

And once again we have the CDC giving out different info which makes it hard to figure out what is what.  

It could be the data I dug up is in general, while yours was specific to the 89-91 outbreak - but I am not sure.  I have also heard that the measles vaccine has shifted the burden of measles onto younger (under 1) and older age groups - which may account for the discrepency in figures.

Interesting stuff on SSPE being much more common in the under 1's.

applejuice, serenbat and stellanyc like this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#36 of 40 Old 03-13-2014, 05:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

teacozy, would you like it if I came on to the VOS forum to post?

applejuice, emmy526 and serenbat like this.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#37 of 40 Old 03-13-2014, 06:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

teacozy, would you like it if I came on to the VOS forum to post?

:wink

Doesn't the NY Dept of Health in conjunction with the CDC have to give permission to vaccination outside of the general recommended age frame?

I know they issued an advisory but I don't see they are calling for out of the age vaccinations. Did anyone see they are doing so?

http://warwickadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20140224/NEWS01/140229987/OC-Health-Department-issues-measles-advisory

I don't know many HCP that would just say sure and give it if the parents just wants the MMR for an infant.

applejuice likes this.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#38 of 40 Old 03-13-2014, 09:35 AM

Ok, SSPE (the boogyman of Vaccine supporters)

Contrary to popular belief, SSPE is now also a disease of the vaccinated.

In Yilmaz et al., "Subacute Sclerosing Panencephalitis: Is there something different in the younger children?" Brain & Development, Vol. 28, no 10, November 2006, pp 649-52

"Three SSPE cases did not have clinical measles infection, and they all received two doses of measles vaccine at 1 and 6 years....

As measles vaccination had been reported to cause SSPE, this issue definitely requires a wider epidemiologic survey....we expect to encounter more measles infection despite vaccination, and more SSPE cases in the near future."

"Subacute Sclerosing Panencephalitis in Children: Prevalence in South China." Pediatric Neurology, Vol. 31, no. 1, July 2004, pp. 46-51

And even in 1989 Dyken reported an increase in the proportion of cases of SSPE folowing measles vaccination. There is also a shorter incubation period for SSPE folowing vaccination compared with that which develops after measles infection.  Another words, SSPE is FAR from a closed-case issue in the era of vaccination.

Or another way to say it: we will have just as many SSPE cases in the Vaxed population as we did before. It is still a VERY rare problem and vaccination does not matter in changing this number.

P.R.Dyken, S.C. Cunningham, and L.C. Ward, "Changing Character of Subacute Sclerosing Panencephalitis in the United States," Pediatric Neurology, Vol 5 no. 6, Nov-Dec 1989, pp. 339-341.

Measles inclusion body encephalitis is another term for SSPE in immunocompromised persons. When it occurs in healthy children, they are deemed immunocompromised, even if there is no evidence of immunocompromise.

A. Bitnun et al., "Measles Inclusion-Body Encephalitis Caused by the Vaccine Strain of Measles Virus," Clinical Infectious Diseases, Vol. 29, no.4, October 1999, pp. 855-861.

Soooo....

Could most cases of SSPE now during the vaccine era, and in the past before vaccines, have had some sort of immunodeficiency that was never diagnosed?

In the past antipyretics and immune globulin have been administered to blunt the immune response to live vaccine measles vax and to wild measles, perhaps trapping measles virus in the body indefinitely. The fact that SSPE is related to incomplete viral clearance and that measles-specific immune globulin caused much of the incomplete viral processing, potentially places SSPE into the category of both an immunodeficiency and an iatrogenic disease.

We need more study into this.

Side note: My entire family has had and recovered very easily from Measles. At ages just over 40, mid 30's and then 12, 6, and 18 months. 

I uped Vit C and A like crazy and I thought it was easier than chicken pox. NO itching!

applejuice and kathymuggle like this.

S

DS-14

DS-14      

DD-9

DD-3

"Those who are afraid retreat.
Those who are brave grow greater.
Never fear, always grow."

Sun Tzu

#39 of 40 Old 03-13-2014, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Sorry, I did not mean to hijack this thread but thanks for all this information on SSPE ssun5. That was very helpful.

And again I truely believe the outcome of an illness like measles/ chicken pox etc all lies in the treatment and naturally the persons previous physical health. Since modern medicine tries to suppress any kind of symptoms like rashes from the beginning on, I am not surprised of other side effects/ illnesses following.

applejuice and stellanyc like this.

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
―Socrates

#40 of 40 Old 03-15-2014, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

A retort to those who vilify the nonvaxers of NYC

http://gianelloni.wordpress.com/2014/03/14/thanks-pharma-you-created-the-anti-vaccine-movement/

Mirzam and Chicharronita like this.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page