Autism Daily Newscast author is clueless about vaccine ingredients - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-11-2014, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)

This would be laughable if it weren't so deadly serious.

In this post from March 8, 2014, http://www.autismdailynewscast.com/vaccination-poll-a-draw-with-autism-daily-newscast-readers/8483/shanellis/, the author, Shân Ellis, writes, "

"Most recently we reported on the CDC’s disclosure that Thimerosal, a mercury based preservative has been used in the Mumps measles and rubella (MMR) vaccine."

Shan Ellis is described on the  page as "Shân Ellis, is a qualified journalist with five years experience of writing features, blogging and working on a regional newspaper. Prior to working as a journalist, she was a ghost writer for top publishers and was closely involved in the editing and development of book series. Shân has a degree in the sciences, and 5 A levels. She lives in the UK and is the mother of an autistic child."

So, theoretically, she ought to know that that the MMR, being a live-virus vaccine, NEVER contained thimerosal.

But, apparently, she did not know that.

But the people commenting knew.

There are ELEVEN separate comments under that article, offering hard proof that the MMR never contained thimerosal, and requesting that Shân Ellis correct the article.

And yet both Ms. Ellis and her editor insist that there's no mistake.

I thought, "hm, maybe they know something I don't know." So I reread the article, and when I got to this part:
"Most recently we reported on  the CDC’s disclosure that Thimerosal, a mercury based preservative has been used in the Mumps measles and rubella (MMR) vaccine,"
I clicked on the link embedded in the words " CDC’s disclosure  ."

I expected to be taken to a CDC page, or at least a news site telling us of "The CDC's disclosure that Thimerosal, a mercury based preservative has been used in the Mumps, measles and rubella (MMR) vaccine." (Even that sentence, by the way, is missing a hyphen, a comma, and capital letters for "Measles" and "Rubella.")

But instead, the link takes us to ANOTHER Autism Daily Newscast page, also posted by Shân Ellis, on February 26, 2014: http://www.autismdailynewscast.com/mercury-in-vaccines-the-debate-hots-up-once-more/7942/shanellis/ There is no mention anywhere in that page of the MMR containing thimerosal.

In this page, Ms. Ellis refers to Emily Willingham as "Dr. Emma Willingham." "Another interesting piece written by Dr Emma Willingham..."

I wonder why she thinks it's worth a read if she can't even get the author's name correct? That post has been up for nearly 2 weeks, and she STILL hasn't corrected the name. I assume that Emily Willingham didn't bother to correct Ms. Ellis because she doesn't want to be associated with such obvious stupidity.

It's bad enough that someone with a science degree could make such an obvious error about the MMR. But to refuse to accept that you've made a mistake? And for Roberta Hill, the EDITOR-IN-CHIEF, to voluntarily step in and deny any error, likewise displaying absolutely zero understanding of the issue?

With 2 glaring examples of extremely sloppy journalism from Ms.Ellis, and 1 from Ms. Hill, I'm left wondering what other serious errors are on that site.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 03-11-2014, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

That is frightening especially because she is appealing to the CDC as her source, and she does not back down even when confronted with the facts and evidence of the truth.

Does this remind any of you of discussions you have had with those stubborn "expert professionals" who go to school forever to be doctors and make health decisions  FOR YOU and YOUR FAMILIES?

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#3 of 9 Old 03-11-2014, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Makes one wonder if they actually bothered to read the CDC/ FDA pages themselves since they so vehemently cite them. Kind of scary!

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
―Socrates

#4 of 9 Old 03-11-2014, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minerva23 View Post

Makes one wonder if they actually bothered to read the CDC/ FDA pages themselves since they so vehemently cite them. Kind of scary!

They "cite" the CDC, but their hyperlink under the words "CDC's Disclosure" neither leads to the CDC nor anything discussing such a disclosure.

At this point, I'm starting to wonder if they're just writing what they're told to write.

#5 of 9 Old 03-11-2014, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Wow, first of all rude responses to their commenters who were polite in pointing out their error. Then even when confronted with a direct quote from the CDC and a link to it, they can't even admit to their mistake and try to blame the posters for not reading correctly and trying to start a debate???

#6 of 9 Old 03-11-2014, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

According to the Huffington Post, she's the single mother of 2 children:  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/shan-ellis/

"Shan Ellis is a single parent of two young children. She is currently writing for the Eastern Daily Press and resides in North Norfolk. A published author and poet, she is passionate about creativity, positive parenting, politics. 

She is studying multimedia journalism part time at News Associates in Wimbledon, and has freelanced for 3plus international, Metastwnsh, Britmums and the Eastern Daily Post."

But according to 

http://www.autismdailynewscast.com/author/shanellis/, she's the single mother of an autistic child:  

"Shân Ellis, is a qualified journalist with five years experience of writing features, blogging and working on a regional newspaper. Prior to working as a journalist, she was a ghost writer for top publishers and was closely involved in the editing and development of book series. Shân has a degree in the sciences, and 5 A levels. She lives in the UK and is the mother of an autistic child."

I'm not sure why there's a discrepancy.

I'm really shocked how poor her writing/journalism skills are. I've gone back and read her posts on ADN, and those articles wouldn't pass a high school English class; she's got sentence fragments practically everywhere, and she is spectacularly indifferent to the rules of punctuation.  Her posts are only a few paragraphs long; she certainly doesn't get into any depth in her "reporting."

Maybe I'm being harsh, but as a parent with both autism and vaccine injury in the family, I honestly don't think there is a time and place for poor journalism/writing skills where science, autism, vaccine injury are concerned.

#7 of 9 Old 03-12-2014, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:

Regarding this particular thread, twice we have clearly explained and provided our references to the following sentence: “Most recently we reported on the CDC’s disclosure that Thimerosal, a mercury based preservative has been used in the Mumps measles and rubella (MMR) vaccine.” We did not, nor did we claim that Thirmerosal was used anywhere – hence no confusion on our part.

But there is confusion on my part!:rotflmaoThat was a comment courtesy of Roberta Hill....did she seriously just say we didn't claim anything about Thimerosal immediately following her own quote about Thimerosal?????  Guess that clears things up!

#8 of 9 Old 03-12-2014, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Someone is definitely confused. I don't think it is her readers.

applejuice likes this.
#9 of 9 Old 03-13-2014, 01:15 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

The advent of the internet has lowered the value of good reporting and writing.  We will probably never see another Woodward and Bernstein in our lifetimes. 

Doing investigation, research, study, interviews, writing, keeping notes, proofreading and referencing are all becoming lost arts as conversations become one line tweets.  

And for someone like me who learned to write, rewrite, and use the MLA pamphlet, the 600 page APA is the rule now and I do not care to re-learn it.

But it looks like few are following any rules any more.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."

Tags
Vaccinations

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page