Do you think Change is going to come to Canada? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-12-2014, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

In regards to the vaccination program, and keeping numbers?

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/health/health-headlines/are-canadian-kids-undervaccinated-lack-of-national-registry-leaves-us-uncertain-1.1250042

Quote:
To put it more simply: Canada doesn't have a national vaccination registry, so no one is really sure which children have been vaccinated against which diseases. While it seems likely there are communities or neighbourhoods where clusters of unvaccinated children are like dry tinder waiting for a flying ember to ignite an outbreak -- someone arriving back from abroad with measles, say -- often public health officials can only really guess at where they are.
applejuice likes this.
#2 of 10 Old 03-12-2014, 06:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)

No.  I mean it could, but I have not seen any media interest.

Harper (prime minister) I suspect, has bigger fish to fry (like Trudeau  - an opposition leader)

applejuice likes this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#3 of 10 Old 03-12-2014, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Maybe it would go as well as the long-gun registry went :wink

applejuice likes this.
#4 of 10 Old 03-13-2014, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Another blog from British Columbia calling for required vaccinations for school in canada

http://www.vancouversun.com/health/Guest+editorial+Make+vaccines+mandatory/9610353/story.html

Quote:
British Columbia should make immunization mandatory for children attending public schools.
Quote:
While B.C. makes vaccinations readily available for infants and school-age children, the province should follow the example of Ontario and New Brunswick, which require immunization for children entering school.
applejuice likes this.
#5 of 10 Old 03-13-2014, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

They allow for exemptions in Ontario and New Brunswick, don't they?

applejuice likes this.

Non-vaxing, vegetarian, green lovin' mama to two little divas.
#6 of 10 Old 03-13-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloebelle View Post

They allow for exemptions in Ontario and New Brunswick, don't they?

Yes.  Ontario here - it was quite easy.

I had to get a form from the health department (it is online) and have it signed by the deputy clerk of our township. I then mailed the form to the health department.   I only had to do it once per kid, and it is a philosophical exemption.  

applejuice and trainingmommy like this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#7 of 10 Old 03-22-2014, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Some encouraging news for BC parents. http://www.cknw.com/2014/03/20/forced-measles-vaccinations-ruled-out/

I think that the worst that could happen in any province is a scenario of mandates and philosophical exemptions. If I remember correctly, the Canadian constitution forbids anything stricter.
applejuice and ballerina85 like this.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#8 of 10 Old 03-22-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post

Some encouraging news for BC parents. http://www.cknw.com/2014/03/20/forced-measles-vaccinations-ruled-out/

I think that the worst that could happen in any province is a scenario of mandates and philosophical exemptions. If I remember correctly, the Canadian constitution forbids anything stricter.

Thanks for sharing the link.

I quoted the entire article because it is just that small and good.

I think I love her.

"Vancouver’s Chief Medical Health Officer says it doesn’t make sense to force children to be vaccinated against measles in order to attend public schools.

Doctor Patricia Daly says vaccination levels in provinces that have such rules are no different than in BC, where a measles outbreak has erupted in the Fraser Valley.

“Those communities are likely never going to vaccinate their children. What we want to do is ensure that other parents who may have missed a shot, or have not gotten around to getting their child vaccinated are aware that there is a risk, and now is the time to get your child vaccinated.”

Daly attributes the outbreak to parents who refuse to immunize their kids, but says education is the best tool."

applejuice likes this.

#9 of 10 Old 03-22-2014, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)

Hm.  She's the Chief Medical Officer for Vancouver--but the Chief Medical Officer of British Columbia, is who she answers to, right?  He is the one who completely misquoted the Cochrane Review of the flu shot last year, and used his (deliberate?) misquote of it to mandate forced flu shots for all health care workers, sparking a couple of very angry letters from Cochrane's Dr. Tom Jefferson the lead author of the review.

applejuice likes this.
#10 of 10 Old 03-23-2014, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
You're thinking of Perry Kendall, who happens to agree with her. http://www.news1130.com/2014/03/23/mandatory-vaccinations-wouldnt-work-bcs-top-doc/

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page