Is there a profession that will not require vaccines down the line? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-19-2014, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Just read something else about a hotel worker having to keep herself updated on vaccines in order to keep her job at a HOTEL.   She said it was a 'job requirement'.  

What job isn't going to require this in another 20yrs?

applejuice and Taximom5 like this.
#2 of 7 Old 03-19-2014, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I work for a town municipality, 2 floors up from the Health Department, and trust me it's crossed my mind about whether or not they would begin to implement even a flu shot requirement.

applejuice likes this.
#3 of 7 Old 03-20-2014, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Yes, think about it.

School teachers, day care providers, food service people of all levels, cashiers, babysitters, doulas, housekeepers, tellers will be required to be up=to-date with their vaxes. The fact that the CDC established an adult schedule is fair warning.

I do recall getting a civil service job 40 yrs ago to work in a library, getting a physical and being asked about my vax status. It is inevitable, sadly, so make your plans and get your exemptions in order.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#4 of 7 Old 03-21-2014, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
#5 of 7 Old 03-21-2014, 08:00 AM

This article quotes a report from the CDC:

Prevalence of Influenza-Like Illness and Seasonal and Pandemic H1N1 Influenza Vaccination Coverage Among Workers — United States, 2009–10 Influenza Season

Under Editorial Note it says:

"The relatively high prevalence rates of ILI [influenza-like illness] among workers employed in food service, education, community and social services, personal care, and cleaning and maintenance are consistent with the hypothesis that the risk for acquiring influenza in the workplace is highest for workers with frequent contact with the public and/or fomites and overlap with findings from previous studies"

and ends with:

"Employers should evaluate risk levels in workplace settings and implement prevention measures that include workplace influenza vaccination programs, education on hand hygiene and cough etiquette, encouraging workers to stay home from work when ill, and provision of personal protective equipment when appropriate. These measures will protect the workers and the public."

Some of the professions mentioned have low pay, and I seriously doubt that even if employers encouraged the workers in this industry to stay home when sick, they will do so. 

As for the recent move by many hospitals to force its workers to get vaccinated, another Health Impact News article claims that this is 

due to a provision in the new Affordable Health Care Act (Obamacare) that states health care facilities must have 90% of their employees vaccinated for the flu, or lose federal reimbursement for Medicare and Medicaid. That amount was 1% in 2013 and is reportedly going to increase up to 2% by 2017.

However, 

So now that the avalanche of lawsuits has begun against health care facilities for terminating employment based on flu vaccine status, or requiring people to wear a mask the entire flu season, the financial question they will need to consider is whether the potential 1% to 2% loss in Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement is enough to cover all their legal fees in trying to mandate the flu vaccine against the desire of their employees, and the ensuing litigation that could result from terminating employment or forcing them to wear masks.

From: Lawsuits Against Hospitals Begin for Loss of Employment due to Mandatory Flu Shots

Taking legal action may be our only recourse against mandatory vaccines. At least until they make that illegal, just as they did with suing vaccine manufacturers directly.

But in the meantime I've noticed law firms specializing in vaccine and drug injuries are starting to pop up so that's good. 

applejuice and sassyfirechick like this.

#6 of 7 Old 03-21-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
 Is there a profession that will not require vaccines down the line?

Yes.  Even though they are the ones who are constantly around pregnant women, ob/gyns have had an established reputation for refusing the MMR boosters because they know the possible crippling side effects - rheumatoid arthritis that many never recover from - , even though it is only "one in a million", they consider their work more important and do not want to take the chance of being side lined for a while.

A small study done thirty years ago in the Bay Area of California showed that less than half of all ob/gyns are up to date on their MMR boosters. I doubt the numbers are different now or in other locations. Ask your own ob/gyn if s/he is up-to-date with their MMR boosters.

If they think they are so darn important, then what are we, chopped liver? Why should we take the chance. 

So to avoid the MMR boosters, become an ob/gyn.

Chicharronita and stellanyc like this.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#7 of 7 Old 03-21-2014, 09:20 AM

BTW, a footnote.

I finally finished my student teaching 15 yrs ago. I always knew I would have to produce a tuberculosis clearance.

I had it ready when I applied to the university and they did not want it.

When I finally got assigned to a school for student teaching, they did NOT want it. 

For my second semester of student teaching, in another school in another district, they did not want to see it either.

The only time I had to show my tuberculosis clearance was for paid employment. Sometimes things must slip through the cracks.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page