Debating not vaccinating - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-20-2014, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi! I'm new to this forum, and I have a 4.5 month old baby girl. We are considering not vaccinating from this point forward. Basically she had no shots at birth (Hep B or Vitamin K). However, at 2 months she did receive the standard vaccines. I'm so regretting that decision - it was definitely a decision made out of fear thanks to a very pro-vax doctor. We declined the vaccines at her most recent 4 month appointment.

Our main reasons for not wanting to vaccinate are because of the ingredients in the vaccines and the links to so many medical issues (aluminum links to cancer, vaccines linked to food allergies/frequent ear infections/asthma/etc). Our baby is exclusively breastfed and we live a very healthy lifestyle (eating clean, avoiding toxins and chemicals, using essential oils, etc).

There is currently a measles outbreak in our state, which I admit makes me worried. I would never want my baby to get sick, however I don't believe in the 'claimed' effectiveness of vaccines either. Do any of you parents with unvaccinated kids ever worry about disease outbreaks? Especially parents of older kids who are no longer breastfed? I would love to hear your thoughts on the topic! Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 03-20-2014, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)

No I do not worry about disease outbreaks at all. My kids are 16 and 14 (23 also, but she was vaccinated to point). 

I thought this article put the current measles *outbreak* in perspective.

http://www.modernalternativemama.com/blog/2014/03/14/measles-outbreak-is-measles-really-so-scary/#.UytSKK1dW0Z

Quote:

[A]fter looking at statistics from recent measles outbreaks in Europe which consist of thousands of cases, it seems that the CDC has vastly overstated the risk of death.  Out of 26,000 cases in Europe, just 9 people died.  This places the risk at fewer than 1 in 2000, or over 6 times less than the CDC’s quoted statistic.

AND — According to this CDC document (skip to page 85), between 1950 and 1960, there was less than 1 death per 100,000.  The population in 1950 was around 150 million, and there were around 3 – 4 million cases per year.  So we can figure that there were around 45 deaths annually from measles, which is 0.00001%, or about 1 in 100,000.

From 2001 – 2011, there were 911 cases of measles reported.  Including 2012 and 2013, that number rises to 1153 cases.  There were no deaths during this time period.

I had measles as a child and it was not big deal.

This is worth reading on measles (part I also), it explains why getting measles isn't such a terrible thing.

http://www.vaccinationcouncil.org/2013/01/29/measles-vaccines-part-ii-benefits-of-contracting-measles-by-dr-viera-scheibner-phd/

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
#3 of 11 Old 03-20-2014, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

The only thing I am really concerned about is pertussis with a newborn in the house (due again in August) and not because my kids aren't vaxxed but because vaccinated people can carry the disease with little to no signs and spread it. I generally like to spend as much time at home after baby as possible and my kids are homeschooled so we won't be in contact with others too much anyway.

#4 of 11 Old 03-20-2014, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Then when your baby arrives, stay home, and limit guests for the first three months, six months if possible. Avoid crowds. Breastfeed! I know that may sound isolating, but with the internet, you can send out pictures or skype with interested persons without having them breathe all over you and the baby.  In the old days, it was called the lying in period, wherein very few close relatives came to see the new baby and mom.  Make sure that you breastfeed and take your vitamin A to offset measles.  Keep your intake of vitamin C and have sodium ascorbate on hand.  It will be summer for you so get some vitamin D sunshine on your new baby to avoid the flu! And good luck.   

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#5 of 11 Old 03-20-2014, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Yes! You are all so right. We definitely limit visitors and have no interest taking her around big crowds. I also plan to homeschool!

I read, too, that vaccinated children aren't really "immune" to diseases until completing the shot series (which is around 1 year?) so most infants are not immune anyway. Also, there is no way to prove how long vaccines are effective, so that would make most adolescents and adults vulnerable, but I feel like outbreaks are rare.

I just believe there are so many other ways to stay healthy! (Like AppleJuice^ mentioned - lots of vitamins!) And thank you Mirzam for those links. Very helpful!

#6 of 11 Old 03-20-2014, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Regarding pertussis and newborns in the house, there was actually a recent study that indicated that the pertussis vaccine can make someone asymptomatic, but you absolutely can still carry and transmit pertussis. I'll try to find the link when I'm back at my computer, if anyone is interested.

For obvious reasons, this is concerning if your intent is to protect a newborn, an elderly family member, etc. and may even make it MORE likely to lead to infection of those people. If you know you're sick, you can at least avoid vulnerable people. If you have no symptoms and figure, "I got my vaccine so I can't have pertussis!" but you're carrying it... how on earth would you know?

In addition to all of the other reasons I wouldn't get it, it wouldn't even serve to protect other people the way it's touted to.

Edited to add, that's exactly what you said. Sorry! That will teach me to read posts while cooking and wrangling a baby.

Happy mama to our sweet pea  (08/25/13), loving wife to my brilliant gentleman  (09/10/11)

Breastfeeding, babywearing, and promoting natural health one day at a time!

*Cautiously expecting number TWO May 30, 2014*

#7 of 11 Old 03-20-2014, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

Breastfeeding will offer up protection for as long as you and baby are willing to go.  My DD is 28mos and still going strong nursing 3 or more times a day - waaaaay more if there's a bug or sniffle going around!  Your body will continue to produce antibodies for your baby for as long as you nurse.  We stopped vaxxing after 4mos and I've never looked back.  She's beyond any worrysome age for pertussis, and anything else at this point would only benefit her immune system so I don't really shield her or worry about "outbreaks" of ay of the milder diseases.  If diphtheria suddenly makes a comeback then maybe I'll hesitate (although that's treatable) but right now? Nah.  Vaccines aren't 100% so to taka a risk of reaction for a disease that is not only mild in most cases, but that you could just as easily contract while vaxxed?  Not worth the risk to me.

At 4.5mos my DD was so solid, in spite of her vaccine reactions, that getting sick didn't worry me much at all.  That was actually when she had her first cold, 4mos, and while everyone around me did the "oooh the poor baby, look at her red cheeks, listing to her congestion, are you taking her to the doctor?" I simply breastfed like crazy, supported her immune system with vit c, and sucked snots out like crazy with a nose frida - got over it in 5 days.

#8 of 11 Old 03-20-2014, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Edited to add, that's exactly what you said. Sorry! That will teach me to read posts while cooking and wrangling a baby.

It is okay. It needs to be said more often.

#9 of 11 Old 03-20-2014, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I also meant to mention that my dh had measles when he was a toddler (and he got the MMR vaccine less than a year earlier - he had a major reaction including a 106* fever and a hospitalization, and he has some mental issues that may or may not be linked to it too - his oldest son had a similar reaction and has some of the same mental issues plus a few others - none of dh's other kids (who are either not vaccinated at all or are only partially vaccinated) have said issues)).

Between measles and MMR, I can tell you without hesitation that the MMR vaccine did far more damage (and he got sick anyway).

Happy mama to our sweet pea  (08/25/13), loving wife to my brilliant gentleman  (09/10/11)

Breastfeeding, babywearing, and promoting natural health one day at a time!

*Cautiously expecting number TWO May 30, 2014*

#10 of 11 Old 03-20-2014, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

FDA NEWS RELEASE 

http://www.fda.gov/newsevents/newsroom/pressannouncements/ucm376937.htm

For Immediate Release: Nov. 27, 2013
Media Inquiries: FDA- Jennifer Rodriguez, 301-796-8232, [email protected]
NIH- Nalini Padmanabhan, 301-402-1663, [email protected]

FDA study helps provide an understanding of rising rates of whooping cough and response to vaccination

A new study is helping to provide a better understanding of vaccines for whooping cough, the common name for the disease pertussis. Based on an animal model, the study conducted by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and published November 25, 2013, in The Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, shows that acellular pertussis vaccines licensed by the FDA are effective in preventing the disease among those vaccinated, but suggests that they may not prevent infection from the bacteria that causes whooping cough in those vaccinated or its spread to other people, including those who may not be vaccinated.

#11 of 11 Old 03-20-2014, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keakiepie View Post

I also meant to mention that my dh had measles when he was a toddler (and he got the MMR vaccine less than a year earlier - he had a major reaction including a 106* fever and a hospitalization, and he has some mental issues that may or may not be linked to it too - his oldest son had a similar reaction and has some of the same mental issues plus a few others - none of dh's other kids (who are either not vaccinated at all or are only partially vaccinated) have said issues)).

Between measles and MMR, I can tell you without hesitation that the MMR vaccine did far more damage (and he got sick anyway).

My niece and son had measles before they were old enough for the vaccine. The young doctor was unable to give a proper diagnosis for this "viral skin rash with fever" that presented right in front of her eyes.  The older doctor was able to diagnose their respective cases of measles.  They are both fine and are adults today.

I think there may have been plenty of mild cases of "viral skin rashes with fever" that have gone without being properly diagnosed and officially reported over these many years. I laughed 14 years ago when I read that the CDC declared measles eradicated from the US because I knew that very few doctors even knew what it looked like.
Quote:

I'm so regretting that decision - it was definitely a decision made out of fear thanks to a very pro-vax doctor. We declined the vaccines at her most recent 4 month appointment.

You have a long road ahead of you. Bring some large intimidating friends and relatives to the next WBVs to back you up. Never go alone.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."

Tags
Vaccinations

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page