Really Sick and Tired of Media Blaming Wakefield - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-20-2014, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

It seems with the measles going around, and now mumps, EVERY media reporting on it just HAS to throw Wakefield in there, and how nonvaxers are to blame for listening to him.  I refuse to believe one man had that much influence all over the entire world, that millions of people decided not to vaccinate based on his study.  But this is what the media is trying and succeeding to brainwash the public with.    Any provaxer i've seen online has also got to throw the wakefield/autism argument in there too.  As if people aren't able to put two and two together with the amount of vaccines babies must succumb to--some people do, yes...others dutifully follow the norm, or what's considered the 'norm'. But this deliberate mistruth being spewed on tv just really chaps my hyde.  

#2 of 7 Old 03-21-2014, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

That was the first thing that was thrown at me in the peds office when I stated I wanted to do more research before vaccinating. I told the doc that autism was not on my radar and neither was Wakefield. My niece had a very severe side effect from her MMR shot which ended in major surgery and a 4-week hospital stay. Plus she shed measles to her mom from the vax. Her doctor failed to recognize it as a vaccine side effect but at first rather accused my sister of child abuse due to onset of symptoms.

applejuice and BeckyBird like this.

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
―Socrates

#3 of 7 Old 03-21-2014, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Tell these morons to take the time to read Dr Andrew Wakefield's work.

He is not against vaccines. He wanted to split up the MMR into the three vaccines that it was originally. His co-author got his license reinstated because his malpractice insurance covered that, Wakefield's did not. And the parents that Wakefield tried to help were left adrift without any further assistance. There you go.

Anytime someone in medicine goes against the status quo, they are crucified. That is why we have not made any progress in health in the last 50 yrs.

BeckyBird likes this.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#4 of 7 Old 03-21-2014, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)

The media is spewing Wakefield hatred as a distraction.

ANYTHING to distract us from the fact that the measles and mumps portions of the MMR are obviously not working.

As for the rubella portion, let's remember that one of the KNOWN causes of autism is congenital rubella syndrome: 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21592401

Congenital rubella syndrome (CRS) is associated with several negative outcomes, including autism spectrum disorders (ASDs)

I'm pretty sure Merck does not want anyone to connect the dots--and oh, it looks like there are MANY dots to connect:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20171592    

"Congenital rubella syndrome (CRS) consists of a group of abnormalities that develop in children as a result of maternal infection with rubella virus. CRS may lead to new physical symptoms during adolescence or adulthood, referred to as "late manifestations". Psychiatric disorders are often seen among CRS patients, with an incidence of 4.12-7.3% for autism. We report a case of adolescent CRS with autism. A 20-year-old man had received treatment with antipsychotics and antidepressants since the age of 12 years because of unstable moods, violence, and stereotypic behavior. During follow-up, he developed some insidious-onset physical problems, including hyperlipidemia, dyspnea, constipation, torticollis and a tilted trunk. Under careful survey and evaluation, some physical problems were recognized as side effects of psychotropics, ...on."

It's much easier for them to distract us into an argument about Wakefield, when actually, the problem seems to be far, far bigger than even Wakefield imagined.

#5 of 7 Old 03-21-2014, 12:22 PM

The mumps portion is being investigated by whistleblowers who are in court saying that Merck demanded that they falsify information to show that the vax was more effective than it really is.

Yes, it is a huge cover-up.

And is autism is really a form of CRS?

BeckyBird likes this.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#6 of 7 Old 03-24-2014, 12:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Oh it's about to drive me crazy too.  It's like the media makes it look like one person messed up and pro-vaxxers use that to make us all non-vaxxers look like maniacs.  It's not fair.  It would never fly if the tables were turned.  For that matter, how many times have the pharmaceutical companies have messed up but no one takes it seriously or will admit to the fact that they messed up...the pro-vax community just chooses to look the other way or ignore it or it never gets decent media coverage in the first place.  I will never understand why some people are so willing to blindly trust these doctors and the companies who are filling their pockets to push their products. 

My s.o. likes to bring up the Wakefield thing.  I finally lost my temper with him the other day and told him that regardless of whether or not MMR causes autism is irrelevant to me at this point.  What matters is that I have a right to my opinion and I also have the right to make my own choices about MY body and those of any future children and I shouldn't have to give any explanation in the first place.  Sadly, this has become my go-to answer for people who give me crap about being against vaccinations.  They refuse to believe the science behind my reasoning so now I just say it's a personal, and valid choice and leave it at that.

#7 of 7 Old 03-24-2014, 06:26 AM

The MMR in particular and vaccines in general were considered a culprit in the causing of autism and other problems long before Wakefield.

I took a graduate level class in 1996. The professor was talking about mainstreaming autistic children in the classroom; her lecture was entwined with the fact that her adopted daughter was due for her vaccines the next day.

At the same time, I had an article from Whole Foods/Mrs. Gooch's in my possession discussing the advantages of DAN! treatment; the mother of the child in the article was discussing how her child regressed after receiving her respective scheduled shots.

This is all anecdotal of course, but I know what I know. I was not the only person in that class nor was I the only person shopping at Whole Foods/Mrs. Gooch's at the time.

So Wakefield simply quantified what many people suspected and shook up the status quo.

Mirzam and BeckyBird like this.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page