Scarlet fever vaccine? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-22-2014, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I have been going through old family records and found a vaccine record slip from my aunt. It dates back to 1953 and it states that she was successfully immunized against scarlet fever and diphtheria. Now I am wondering about this scarlet fever vaccine. It seems that most online sources claim that there was never such a vaccine.

I found this article and in the comments it is stated that such vaccine did exit. http://nocompulsoryvaccination.com/2010/10/18/whatever-happened-to-scarlet-fever/

Similar statements found in other forums but all very vague.

Where could I find more on this scarlet fever vaccine? I am intrigued and would like to learn more.

applejuice likes this.

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
―Socrates

#2 of 8 Old 03-22-2014, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

That's so weird! Isn't scarlet fever a side effect of strep throat? How can you even vaccinate for that?

applejuice likes this.
#3 of 8 Old 03-22-2014, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

There was a vaccine, but I don't think it was widely used and when it was it caused way too many injuries.

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=244482

The  clinical symptoms of Scarlet fever (also know as Scarletina) are caused by the bacterial erythrogenic toxin which is produced by Streptococcus pyogenes or group A step. The vaccine would work like DTaP because the symptoms of diphtheria, tetanus and pertussis are caused by a bacterial toxins.

I am sure they would love to have a successful Streptococcus pyogenes vaccine. Isn't there one in the works?

applejuice likes this.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#4 of 8 Old 03-22-2014, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

From wikipedia -

Quote:

No vaccines are currently available to protect against S. pyogenes infection; the vaccine developed by George and Gladys Dick in 1924 was discontinued due to poor efficacy and the introduction of antibiotics. Difficulties in vaccine development include the considerable strain variety of S. pyogenes present in the environment and the amount of time and number of people needed for appropriate trials for safety and efficacy of any potential vaccine. from "Initiative for Vaccine Research (IVR)—Group A Streptococcus". World Health Organization. Retrieved 15 June 2012.

and

Quote:
Gladys Henry and George Frederick Dick developed a vaccine in 1924 that was later eclipsed by penicillin in the 1940s. Broth filtrates were used as the basis for the patent the Dicks took out on their vaccine in 1924 in the United Kingdom and in 1925 in the United States.

My late Father and later Dr. Mendelsohn make the valid point that scarlet fever has virtually disappeared and become less dangerous over these many years w,ithout a vaccine to eradicate it or give credit to for eliminating it. The same can be said of rheumatic fever - where is the vaccine for it? Where is the vaccine to eradicate it?  I recall one classmate losing a year of school after suffering from it in 1960.

In 1986, my daughter came home from school with a note warning me that she was exposed to scarletina; nothing ever came of it. She never got it and neither did my younger children or anyone in the neighborhood.  Years later, in 2002, as a teacher, I passed out a note from the school office to all of my students warning their parents that their dear child may have been exposed to scarlet fever.  I recall an angry retort by one of the other science teachers bitterly complaining that "those parents should get their children vaccinated." I reminded this science teacher that there is NO vaccine currently on the schedule against scarlet fever/scarletina, and she still kept complaining about "those parents". I laughed quietly to myself at her ignorance both of my own personal beliefs and the fact that the vaccine she wanted these children to have does not exist. 

So scarlet fever HAD a vaccine, but it was not very effective, had too many side effects, and antibiotics work better anyway - and while we are at it, let us toss in better hygiene, nutrition, sanitation for good measure.

There is a body of thought that antibiotics may work better than the DaPT for diphtheria and pertussis as they are caused by bacteria too. Frankly, any thing is better than the pertussis and diphtheria vaccine, AFAIAC, but I suspect there is quite a $trong ve$ted intere$t$ in keeping it on the $chedule.

40 yrs ago, I had strep throat about every three to four months in college diagnosed by lab verification - does not say much about my immune system nor about the antibiotics that were given to me at the time. I was under a lot of stress.

This book was published in 1922 - http://www.amazon.com/The-Velveteen-Rabbit-Margery-Williams/dp/0385375662/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395606596&sr=8-1&keywords=velveteen+rabbit

Does that help you, Minerva23?

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#5 of 8 Old 03-23-2014, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

I read about the vaccination efforts with toxin/ antitoxin used by George and Gladys Dick. This was in the 1920s and 1930s though and long discontinued before my aunt was  vaccinated. So there must have been something else that was given out to these children in the 1950s. I would love to know what exactly and where I could find this kind of information.

There were some vague statements online about scarlet fever vaccines in the making from 2010. Scarlet fever seems to be very common in my area. My DD's Kindergarten has a sign up every couple of months warning parents of scarlet fever infections. So far we did not get it and I hope it will stay that way.

applejuice likes this.

―Socrates

#6 of 8 Old 03-23-2014, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

^^^^^^

My brother had Scarletina, I remember we had to come home from vacation because of it. From what I recall, the doctor made a house call, he was sick for a week, and then got better. I did not get it, but at least one other kid that we were on vacation with did.

applejuice likes this.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#7 of 8 Old 03-23-2014, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Now I am wondering about this scarlet fever vaccine 

Two possibilities that I can say -

If it is a slip written by the doctor or his office, I do  not know what to say.

If this is a record written by her mom, it could be an error. Many people take their children to the doctor, get the vaccines and do not know what shots they got or what side effects to expect.  Sorry, that is the truth. It could just be an error. Can you ask your aunt?  Is she still alive?

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#8 of 8 Old 03-24-2014, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post

Two possibilities that I can say -

If it is a slip written by the doctor or his office, I do  not know what to say.

If this is a record written by her mom, it could be an error. Many people take their children to the doctor, get the vaccines and do not know what shots they got or what side effects to expect.  Sorry, that is the truth. It could just be an error. Can you ask your aunt?  Is she still alive?

It is an official slip with stamp and everything from public health authority. She got vaccinated when away in a children's recovery and recreation camp that were quite common in the 50s. My aunt does not remember and neither does my mom whether they got shots there or not.

applejuice likes this.

―Socrates

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page