An honest newspaper headline - in Australia - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-29-2014, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#2 of 13 Old 03-29-2014, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Where is this from?
And HA! Finally......
#3 of 13 Old 03-29-2014, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellaNYC View Post

Where is this from?
And HA! Finally......

It was posted on facebook, I think it is a Brisbane paper.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#4 of 13 Old 03-29-2014, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

That is fantastic!

#5 of 13 Old 03-29-2014, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
#6 of 13 Old 03-29-2014, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Interesting to note there are only 2 comments on the article.  Definitely more of a push for boosters but admission that it's not working as intended is certainly a step in the right direction.  So to get them off the booster path and onto a safer vaccine, less "one size fits all", more individual approach and maybe things can get better.....(wishful thinking??)

#7 of 13 Old 03-29-2014, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Or they will use that as an excuse to go back to the old live-cell vaccine, with the disastrous-but-expected results further obfuscating the rise in vaccine-induced seizures/brain damage/autism.

#8 of 13 Old 03-31-2014, 02:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm sure someone will somehow try to blame this on the unvaxxed population...unless there is no such thing in Australia?  I know they have much stricter laws than we do here in the U.S. so maybe they can't blame them.

As a side-story, I had an opportunity to study/work in NSW a few years back and I turned it down because I didn't want to get attached to the place :(  I had already visited Australia once as a teenager and knew if I was there long term, I'd want to stay.  But the stories I've heard about vax regulations makes me too scared to settle down there.  It's a shame.

#9 of 13 Old 03-31-2014, 02:15 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
What stories have you heard about vaccine regulations over here? From my reading on MDC it is harder to be non-vaxed in the US.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#10 of 13 Old 03-31-2014, 12:30 PM

I read in the news, I think about a year ago, that there were more vax becoming mandatory and that they would not allow children to attend school or daycare without them.

Admittedly what I know is only what I've heard through news networks and I haven't really done much research on it but it seemed like the government has an easier time making it mandatory for kids at least.  Made me worry it would be impossible to work on a visa without having to be vaxxed myself.  I looked into studying abroad my freshman year of college (before the job opportunity I referred to in my first reply) and if I remember correctly, they required a slough of vaccines for anyone wanting to attend their Unis.

I guess when you're a foreigner, it feels like it would be much more difficult to use an exemption because they can just say to you, "if you don't like it, don't come here."

katelove, it looks like you're a native of Oz.  Could you please tell me more about what you know on the issue? :)

#11 of 13 Old 03-31-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunny627 View Post

I read in the news, I think about a year ago, that there were more vax becoming mandatory and that they would not allow children to attend school or daycare without them.

Admittedly what I know is only what I've heard through news networks and I haven't really done much research on it but it seemed like the government has an easier time making it mandatory for kids at least.  Made me worry it would be impossible to work on a visa without having to be vaxxed myself.  I looked into studying abroad my freshman year of college (before the job opportunity I referred to in my first reply) and if I remember correctly, they required a slough of vaccines for anyone wanting to attend their Unis.

I guess when you're a foreigner, it feels like it would be much more difficult to use an exemption because they can just say to you, "if you don't like it, don't come here."

katelove, it looks like you're a native of Oz.  Could you please tell me more about what you know on the issue? :)

We've been living in Oz for about 4.5 years and will apply for citizenship this year. When we migrated here, my kids were not vaccinated at all (and we still got our visas), and just recently we started on a very selective, very delayed schedule working in partnership with our GP. That poses its own challenges as the system is set up for an all-or-nothing approach and there is no leeway for selective vaccination (unless you do it like we are…paid privately using scripts and info not forwarded on to the central registry). 

From what I've read of regulations in the US, I'd hazard a guess that it is indeed easier to remain unvaccinated in Australia. You get a GP to approve your CO form, file it and you're set. My kids are enrolled in school and attend without any issues. The corollary is that although it may be easier in some ways, there's pressure from the government to ensure kids are UTD. To receive family tax benefits, which can amount to thousands a year for most families, kids are required to be UTD or have a CO on file. There was discussion recently of revoking the ability to claim the FTB with a CO in place, so it will be UTD or no tax benefit eligibility. Same thing with the playgroups/preschool issue. It was one state, NSW I believe, that instituted the "no jab, no play," and I think other states are mulling over their options. So, while Australian health ministers and politicians state publicly that they are not in favour of mandating vaccination, they are supportive of implementing ways to penalise families who are not UTD. 

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#12 of 13 Old 03-31-2014, 06:19 PM

japonica, thanks for your information!

I tried to find the article I was referring to but couldn't...I'm almost certain that it was referenced on this very board.  I just wish I could remember more.  All I found was basically what you said; that you have to consult with a dr. to get an exemption.  I also read you have to consult with a government official, is this true also?  May I ask what is involved in getting the dr. to sign off on the paperwork?  What all is required before they will sign?  Is it difficult to find an agreeable dr.?

I am asking mostly out of curiosity but I still entertain the thought of returning to Oz someday.  It is good to know you can go there on a visa without worrying about vax requirements.  I think the main problem I had when considering studying abroad was the school's individual vax regulations.

I am mostly unfamiliar with the vax policies of other countries but it is hard not to feel a little intimidated when the majority of what you hear about them is from the standpoint of pro-vaxxers.  Good to hear from your point of view!

#13 of 13 Old 03-31-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunny627 View Post

japonica, thanks for your information!

I tried to find the article I was referring to but couldn't...I'm almost certain that it was referenced on this very board.  I just wish I could remember more.  All I found was basically what you said; that you have to consult with a dr. to get an exemption.  I also read you have to consult with a government official, is this true also?  May I ask what is involved in getting the dr. to sign off on the paperwork?  What all is required before they will sign?  Is it difficult to find an agreeable dr.?

I am asking mostly out of curiosity but I still entertain the thought of returning to Oz someday.  It is good to know you can go there on a visa without worrying about vax requirements.  I think the main problem I had when considering studying abroad was the school's individual vax regulations.

I am mostly unfamiliar with the vax policies of other countries but it is hard not to feel a little intimidated when the majority of what you hear about them is from the standpoint of pro-vaxxers.  Good to hear from your point of view!

Well, I'd make sure to double check before you plan on migrating. Policies change and in the current climate of shall we say less tolerance, then it would be relatively easy I imagine to amend immigration legislation to demand that children are UTD before the visas are granted. We had to pass a medical--the whole family--with a doctor approved by the Australian government. It's scored on a grading system. I do know that the kids lost points and slipped down a grade for not being UTD but overall we still passed. That was 5+ years ago and as I said, things can change quite rapidly so I wouldn't make plans without double checking what the requirements are currently.

As for the CO over here. What was required of us 4+ years ago was to print off the form and meet with a GP (first find one willing to sign it, many will not--I think I called four before finding one willing to do it), have a discussion with him about risks of not vaccinating, and then he signs it and it is submitted to Medicare, who then presumably also lodge it with the Immunisation Registry (to stop the letters arriving every month asking why your kids are not UTD). There's no video or presentation or classes or anything. Our discussion as well was pretty low key. Our GP is older--like late 50s, early 60s--and his kids have had whooping cough, mumps etc. He's always been pretty reasonable about our choices.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page