Why We Declined the MMR Vaccine Part 1 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-31-2014, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)

Here is another informed parent opting out, with good reasons!

With the recent measles outbreaks being covered extensively in the media, public opinion is once again pointing fingers at the “anti-vax” crowd.

http://vaccinelinks.wordpress.com/2014/03/31/why-we-declined-the-mmr-vaccine-part-1-measles/

sassyfirechick and stellanyc like this.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#2 of 7 Old 03-31-2014, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Interesting as always! Thanks
#3 of 7 Old 04-01-2014, 05:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

I'm laughing about this part:

Most articles I see assume that parents don’t vaccinate for a few basic reasons:

• Parents aren’t vaccinating because they believe a doctor called Andrew Wakefield whose study is infamous for bringing up an association between the MMR vaccine and autism in a study in 1998. His study was subsequently retracted and debunked, therefore these parents should vaccinate. (Ironically, most people would’ve forgotten about the study by now if the media didn’t constantly bring it up.)

:rotflmao

#4 of 7 Old 04-01-2014, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

I'm laughing about this part:

Most articles I see assume that parents don’t vaccinate for a few basic reasons:

• Parents aren’t vaccinating because they believe a doctor called Andrew Wakefield whose study is infamous for bringing up an association between the MMR vaccine and autism in a study in 1998. His study was subsequently retracted and debunked, therefore these parents should vaccinate. (Ironically, most people would’ve forgotten about the study by now if the media didn’t constantly bring it up.)

:rotflmao

Bahh. So true, most people would forget if they didn't bring that whole situation up every other minute! And so poorly, at that. Between that comment and the "you only are anti-vax because you listen to fill-in-the-blank celebrity" - um, nope! Made my choices for OTHER reasons, go figure!

#5 of 7 Old 04-01-2014, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamavan View Post

Bahh. So true, most people would forget if they didn't bring that whole situation up every other minute! And so poorly, at that. Between that comment and the "you only are anti-vax because you listen to fill-in-the-blank celebrity" - um, nope! Made my choices for OTHER reasons, go figure!

I hate when people think I've based my non-vax up to this point decisions on a celebrity's thoughts. My daughter was born in 2004....I began researching vaxxes when I got pregnant, because of history on my hisband's side of his family with horrible vaccine reactions. Jenny McCarthy's son was diagnosed with autism in 2005, well after I started looking into vaccines.
#6 of 7 Old 04-02-2014, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronwen13 View Post

I hate when people think I've based my non-vax up to this point decisions on a celebrity's thoughts. My daughter was born in 2004....I began researching vaxxes when I got pregnant, because of history on my hisband's side of his family with horrible vaccine reactions. Jenny McCarthy's son was diagnosed with autism in 2005, well after I started looking into vaccines.

If someone evokes either McCarthy or Wakefield in a discussion, it tells me a lot about the speaker:

1.  They might be trying to score brownie points with their choir.  It seem like screaming "Jenny McCarthy!" is some sort of rally cry.

2.  They lack logic.  Yes, little debater  (envision a condescending pat here) I base my medical decisions on celebrities…snort.   

3.  They are losing the argument.  

rachelsmama likes this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#7 of 7 Old 04-02-2014, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)

Mizram - that was a great find!

I really liked the discussion towards the bottom on protective effective of wild measles:

"A study done in 1985 showed that having the measles before college-age reduced risk of Parkinson’s disease later in life. This study was confirmed in 2012, when researchers in Canada stated that measles infection reduces a risk of developing Parkinson’s disease later in life by 35%.

One study found a “large reduction” in the risk of atopy in children in Africa. (What is atopy and how is it different than allergies?) "

(note the coloured words are clickable links in the article, so if anyone wants to see where she is getting the info from they can)

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page