4Likes

#31 of 52 Old 04-11-2014, 06:10 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerina85 View Post

Thanks
So much Beckybird! I will definitely give her the apple cider vinegar tomorrow I didn't know it would help a cold. She's miserable and still has a fever it's not too high but she is just so unhappy.. I made her homemade chicken soup today and she pretty much refused it.. It's usually her favorite greensad.gif She gets juice every morning (homemade from veggies and fruit and we also put in a probiotic).. Since she was refusing to eat I tried offering her favorite food- Ice cream. It's probably not the greatest to give her sugar and dairy though (even though she was offered it and it's a rare treat she only ate a tiny bit before pushing it away- so sad!). I did try to find sodium ascorbate but can't find it anywhere! I called so Many health food stores and nobody seemed to have it.. That was pretty frustrating because I had a assumed it would be easy to find. Anyway I ordered some online so I have it but it won't be here in time to help for this round.. thanks again for the info it was helpful and good point to focus on fluids rather then food.. And sorry that this was kind of off topic but even though we have chosen not to vaccinate and are happy with the decision whenever my daughter gets sick I start second guessing myself about it.. Hopefully as I learn more about treating sickness I'll feel more confident.

besides what all Becky added, when you do get the sodium ascorbate (and maybe Becky can add how she gets it down in her two!) but I use it as Mary Poppins did - it needs a chaser ----honey (RAW & MUST BE local!!) honey also is great mixed with lemon for sore & coughy throat but honey alone is a great sleep aid - this time of year (clock change it's a must!!) is good because of the allergy help if offers..........find a good local source, RAW is best, comb is just great as a dessert (you only need a tiny square) and bee pollen if you can get it is a great topping on yogurt or oatmeal

Personally I would and do give honey at night when anyone is sick to help with sleep.

personal I would hold off on all dairy until she feels up to it, for sore throats I do use organic lollypops vs a cough drop

turmeric is a MUST in chicken soup/stock, it really adds no flavor but it's far more than color - try and get roots(dried is OK and most Indian markets have it) - add roots to yellow picked beets eggs (another way to get in vinegar!) and quail eggs are perfect kid size too - just add turmeric to all you can IMO  http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=78

it's super odd you could not find the SA - did you ask why none carried it? I can easily get it.

with the vinegar, not everyone "likes" it - again there must be some secret to it??? but you can add it to chicken/bone stock, in marinades and dressings but straight I can't even take it

applejuice likes this.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#32 of 52 Old 04-11-2014, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)

Wow Ballerina, it sounds like you're doing a great job with your daughter. It will be alright if you don't have the Sodium Ascorbate this time. I wrote about it because many people claim it is easier on the stomach than regular Vitamin C. During illness, you will require higher doses, and the regular vitamin C is sometimes too acidic in large doses. Of course, if your daughter is drinking fresh juice with probiotics, that`will surely help!

Easy ways to sneak in vinegar would be in juice or soups. The trick is not to put in too much, and give it a taste test first. My son and I can drink straight vinegar in water, but my daughter won't have any part of it! She gets the "sneaky" vinegar in juice, or even tea with honey.

Oh, I have a good recipe for faux ice cream, but you will need a food processor with that metal blade attachment. This is the easiest recipe ever. Peel a few bananas, cut, then freeze. Once frozen, put them in the processor, and mix until crumbles form. Now, you can add other flavors--peanut or nut butter, fruit, or even pumpkin pie spice!  Once that has been added, continue to mix until a large ball forms. Eat immediately. The texture is so creamy, and it does not taste too strongly of bananas if you have other flavors mixed in.

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

#33 of 52 Old 04-11-2014, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I like and use peppermint essential oil diluted in coconut oil on the feet for fevers - doesn't eliminate them but makes them tolerable while still allowing the fever to do what it was designed to do!

I used to hate ACV - my mother gave it to me once in a glass of water when I was feeling sick....I yakked it back up.  BUT, now I've really gotten used to it and use it a lot in cooking and load my bone broths with it.  Last cold we had come through I made a diy cough syrup with ACV, honey, and lemon essential oil and it was pretty good!  I love Wild Cherry Bark to assist with productive coughs, but it's a super strong flavor, I only really like one brand that I can get at whole foods and of course can't remember it now but it's in a brown bottle with a tan label!
#34 of 52 Old 04-11-2014, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks I had forgotten about banana ice cream! she is doing ok.. Her fever went up to 102..but she's not lethargic.. Something that is freaking me out is that her palms are blotchy and hot.. Anyone know what could cause this? I am kind of avoiding the dr because besides the blotchy hands everything seems like a typical virus... I don't want to go there and get a big lecture on vaccinating.. I called my mom who is a nurse, usually she is helpful but today she just said "we'll take her in she is unvaccinated and could have anything". Thanks mom...
applejuice likes this.
#35 of 52 Old 04-11-2014, 10:02 AM

The palms of her hands almost look like they have hives and they are hot..
applejuice likes this.
#36 of 52 Old 04-11-2014, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Quote:

someone can correct this, but doesn't that mean the body is trying to cool off?

IMO - it could be ANYTHING regardless of vaccination status

I know of no VPD who's symptoms are blotchy (hives) and hot hands.

Sorry being a nurse (and your mother) her remarks are unprofessional, not to mention from the grandparent end, crude & uncaring- IMO You get treaded like that and she is even family - sorry!!!

applejuice likes this.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#37 of 52 Old 04-11-2014, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:

Cocksackie virus?

applejuice likes this.
#38 of 52 Old 04-11-2014, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
#39 of 52 Old 04-11-2014, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Hives are usually a sign of an allergic reaction.  I hope all is well. Make sure your child is breathing OK.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#40 of 52 Old 04-11-2014, 02:48 PM

Thanks everyone.. Just got back from the dr and it is hand foot and mouth disease (coxsackie).. So we will continue our treatment plan smile.gif
applejuice, BeckyBird and Taximom5 like this.
#41 of 52 Old 05-02-2014, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
I just love the info on this thread and giving it a bump!
Today I went to the health food store to get the ascorbate C but it was so expensive. Looking for a deal now!
#42 of 52 Old 05-02-2014, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

And I just ordered that book off of amazon!
#43 of 52 Old 05-02-2014, 10:06 PM

Could someone list the ascorbate c dosages to give again? I can't find it in any thread, and I've started a file on my computer for just such things. Handy to have!
tracyamber likes this.
#44 of 52 Old 05-02-2014, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Just wanted to pop in and say thank you all so much for this thread! There is a lot of good information here, especially with regards to recognizing and treating some of these illnesses. I appreciate the time and energy you ladies put into your research and in sharing what you learn. :)

applejuice likes this.
#45 of 52 Old 05-03-2014, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronwen13 View Post

Could someone list the ascorbate c dosages to give again? I can't find it in any thread, and I've started a file on my computer for just such things. Handy to have!

http://vaccinationcouncil.org/media/The-Vitamin-C-Treatment-of-Whooping-Cough.pdf

Quote:

Pertussis toxin can be neutralized in 12 hours with correct vitamin C dosing. You have to continue the vitamin C for up to three months. It does not stop the disease. Vitamin C clears away the toxins, and makes the coughing much, much milder, and increases the ability of the body to deal with the bacteria and develop immunity naturally.

The starting dose in children is 200-375 mg per kg over 24 hours. If they are coughing until they are purple, then your doses of vitamin C are much too small. Bump them right up to the level of 375 milligrams per kilo of body weight over the waking hours, as a starting dose. If you use pounds, know that one kilo is equal to 2.2 pounds. So get a calculator and weigh your child.

Quote:

If using pounds, use this equation: (weight in pounds divided by 2.2) times 375 = for the 24 hour dose, in mg per kg.

Example: If your child weighs 20 pounds then you have 20 divided by 2.2 times 375= 3409 mg of vitamin C powder in a 24-hour period.

For myself I can take just over 20 grams (20,000mg if I was taking the pills thus we do powder!) before reaching tolerance when sick and DD's now about 32lbs putting her at 5454mg which I put into a large water bottle with half oj/half water, ends up being like a semi fizzy oj and she drinks that throughout the day for any colds.  There was a sale on Ascorbic Acid a while back through Vitacost, so I bought a bunch and then when going to mix it up, I add 2 parts C to 1 part baking soda to convert to the sodium ascorbate.  I've seen it at a 1:1 ratio as well, I'm not keen on the flavor at that point so the 2:1 works for us.  Once we run out of that I'll look for some SA.

#46 of 52 Old 05-03-2014, 07:21 AM

You can mix equal parts of ascorbic acid and baking soda to attain a similar mixture of sodium ascorbate.

Bronson and NOW have SA.

tracyamber likes this.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#47 of 52 Old 05-13-2014, 12:01 PM

For some strange reason I never contracted chickenpox as a child. Honestly I don't know how this happened because I did have measles and rubella. I did however contract chickenpox as an adult and thought I'd lose my mind with the itching. (We had a mother and child case.) It is no picnic to have chickenpox as a 35 year old. The disease is definitely worse when you're older. My doctor actually took photos because she'd never seen a case which was so bad. My best friend also took a couple of photos which she destroyed and never showed me because she thought it wouldn't be good for me to see myself looking so awful.

My doctor was actually worried about severe scarring so she gave me an IV filled with mega-doses of vitamin C and vitamin E. You can tolerate a much higher level of Vitamin C if you by-pass the bowel. Most doctors don't do vitamins by IV, but some of the more holistically inclined provide this service. Vitamin E prevents scarring. It seems to have worked because I don't have a single chickenpox scar. 

This goes against conventional medical wisdom, so I wouldn't recommend it for anyone else. I did pierce some of the biggest fluid filled pox on my face with a sterile needle to let them drain and shrink. I don't know if this helped, but it certainly didn't hurt. I really was worried that the biggest pox were going to scar. I did this very very carefully — just a tiny pinprick with a very sharp, clean needle to let them drain. I did not squeeze or touch them.

applejuice likes this.
#48 of 52 Old 05-13-2014, 12:10 PM

Sorry you suffered so badly, Claudia.  There will be more adults getting chicken pox now that it is on the American CDC and AAP schedule.

Claudia Chapman likes this.

#49 of 52 Old 05-13-2014, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

My husband also never had cp. I managed to get it mildly twice.

#50 of 52 Old 06-03-2014, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

This thread always could use a good bumping!
sassyfirechick likes this.
#51 of 52 Old 06-03-2014, 11:14 PM

A very good source of high potency vitamin A is from Klaire Laboratories, micellized vitamin A. This is good for a case of measles since measles will burn through the vitamin A in the body.
Chicharronita and tracyamber like this.
#52 of 52 Old 08-14-2014, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Love this thread. Just like to keep it bumped up.
sassyfirechick likes this.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page