vaccine reactions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 04-06-2014, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)

Please share any vaccine reactions you or your child might have had.  Please post.  It is possible newbies do not know that people can react to vaccine and what it can look like.  Thanks!

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 04-06-2014, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

I have had one vaccine reaction.  It did not influence my decisions re:vaccination, as, to the best of my knowledge, I don't think it did any long lasting damage, but it does show what strong pharmaceuticals vaccines are.

In 1989 I was re-vaccinated for MMR.  Don't ask - paperwork nightmare issue.

I was given the vaccine at school.  I passed out - almost instantly.  Thankfully I was sitting, and no harm came to me.  I woke up with a nurse patting my back and my head between my legs.  

Despite this, I was sent to class (did they even call my mother?  I bet they didn't!)  I felt quite sick for the remainder of the day.  I hallucinated that I was a bug on the wall in math class.  I was really out of it.  Looking back, I do not know if the hallucination was caused by very high fever or if it was some sort of neurological response.  

I was 17 when this happened - old enough to remember it.  The same cannot be said for babies.  I wonder how many of them have reactions of one sort or the other but are simply too young to voice it?

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#3 of 21 Old 04-06-2014, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)

I think I probably had my first vaccine reaction as a baby/toddler. I am not sure which vaccine or when I got it, but as an older toddler and throughout childhoodI had absence seizures, SPD (couldn't stand having clothes on my body - which I grew out of), chronic swollen lymph nodes, and huge violent, temper tantrums. As I child I had learning difficulties and was tested for dyslexia, result was no therapy or special help needed as I was bright enough to compensate :eyesroll. As a young teen I got a BCG vaccination at school and following that I had years of chronic throat infections. In my early twenties I had a typhoid vaccination before my honeymoon to South East Asia and moving to Hong Kong. I had it at a travel health clinic, made it home, and then passed out on the floor, unable to move for the rest of the day, I thought I was dying.

My sister had a severe reaction to the first DPT shot, given at 4 months (UK), she experienced convulsions, and suffered from GERD, constant ear-infections (got tubes) and runny noises - she probably had a dairy allergy but this was never investigated in the early 1970s, and my mother never put two and two together. She was smart enough to stop all vaccines though.

My eldest DD had the classic DPT scream with her first and second rounds of the vaccine and fever. I was told to give her acetaminophen which is a very, very bad thing to do. She has ADHD (inattentive type), but works around it. Although school was a struggle.

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
#4 of 21 Old 04-06-2014, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

My oldest was vaccinated on schedule until about 13 months (so, he has the 12 month shots, but I stopped before the 18 month ones).

I had a relatively easy and drug -free pregnancy, although I did develop high blood pressure and was induced at 38 weeks.  He had a roughish birth, and inhaled meconium,  so he was on antibiotics in the first few days of life. 

He was vaccinated per schedule in his first year of life.  He had no further antibiotics or needs of meds in his early life and was breastfed for a long time.  I think we managed to avoid acetaminophen, as I do not use it easily, but I am not sure.  

DS probably has mild-moderate ADHD and definitely has dysgraphia.  

I think it is very likely his birth, early antibiotics and vaccines play a part in his executive function issues.   I am very thankful I stopped vaccinating when I did and the rest of his early childhood was pharmaceutical free.  Part of me feels like we dodged (just!) the autism bullet.

My sister, who had did have drugs during pregnancy (antibiotics for UTI's),  had worse labours and deliveries, and had children who were fully vaxxed and on meds in early infancy/toddlerhood went on to have both her children diagnosed with severe autism.  

My second child had a drug free pregnancy, delivery and early childhood.  She is very neurotypical.  

My 3rd child is also neurotypical.  I had a drug free pregnancy and delivery but she was on antibiotics at birth due to needing surgery for an operable birth defect.  She had one vax at age 9, no others.  

I guess I have gone off topic a bit already.  There are lots of soft signs for caution in certain individuals.   Sometimes we cannot do anything about genetics, birth, antibiotic usage (although we can stack the deck on the last two) but vaccines are 100% choice.  

#5 of 21 Old 04-06-2014, 12:00 PM

I think the most important thing that vaxers can do to keep their kids vaccine injury-free is avoid Tylenol if their child is having a vaccine reaction. As the link I posted above, the autism rate in Cuba is 278 times less than it is in the US. In Cube vaccines are mandatory, so 99.7% of the children are vaccinated, and while the schedule is slightly different, not hugely. The biggest difference is acetaminophen is not approved or used in Cuba.

Here is the link again:

Evidence that Increased Acetaminophen use in Genetically Vulnerable Children Appears to be a Major Cause of the Epidemics of Autism, Attention Deficit with Hyperactivity, and Asthma

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
#6 of 21 Old 04-06-2014, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

My first born got sick repeatedly after every vaccine he got - and this was 87-88, so the schedule was much different.  His excema also got worse with each round, as did his asthma, and at 4mos old had pneumonia.. when i looked back at that time, I believe it was due to the 1st dpt given in late dec, and the last week of december, first week of jan he got worse, and worse, til they did a chest xray and discovered pneumonia. Subsequent rounds resulted in either bronchitis or ear infections, and excema that now covered his whole body by age one. Drs tried to tell me he had allergies to pretty much everything environmental, and food allergies too. Finally by age 5 we got a true diagnosis of his skin condition, known as inherited ichthyosis, which I am sure the vaccines triggered, as well as his other numerous allergies he still suffers from at an adult age.  His babyhood was riddled with nothing but illness, and by the time my 2nd child came along, I became more informed.

#7 of 21 Old 04-06-2014, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

My husband had seizures when he was younger, up to about age three. He was on meds and in and out of the hospital. He had constant coughing fits at night as well.  We believe this was from the DPT. When I read Shot in the Dark I went the list of side effects and basically he said yes to almost all of them. Whether or not the vaccines themselves did permanent damage, the meds he was on ruined his dental health.

Of the other vaccines he has received he said "I felt like I was dying."

#8 of 21 Old 04-06-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post

Of the other vaccines he has received he said "I felt like I was dying."

This is so interesting, because it is exactly how I felt after the typhoid vaccine (as I said above). Is it also how babies feel when they are having a vaccine reaction, but are not able to verbalize the feeling? If so, how absolutely terrifying for an infant.

t

#9 of 21 Old 04-06-2014, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

In the family lore, my Father's oldest brother died from a reaction to the smallpox vaccine. As the story goes, he was not very healthy.  From this lesson, the other members of the family devoted the rest of their lives to exercise, better eating, less meat, vitamins, and growing their own food. My Father, the youngest became a chiropractor. The family was into raw, vegetarian foods, and gradually added eggs and raw milk to the diet. My Paternal Aunt had many health problems; a doctor suggested a hysterectomy for her at age 21, which she refused - she lived to be 85, reproductive system intact. They read advice from Father Kneipp, Dr. Bernard Lust, Bernard MacFadden, Paul Bragg, - all of them have scandals attached to them that I am well aware of.

On my the other side of the family, my grandmother was an RN, PT, and she saw many reactions to vaccines in the practice and hospitals she worked in and refused to vaccinate her own children after a period of time.

Among my siblings who became parents, three of us did not vaccinate our children. The siblings who did, did so because they were bullied or had a conflict with their spouse. My youngest sister's daughter is an adult with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis and is mildly autistic; the medicines destroyed her vocal chords. When she was born she had severe seizures and my sister was initially accused of beating her - my niece is on permanent SSDI. My sister's other children are not very healthy, the oldest has many allergies, had large welts on her thighs when she was a baby and got her vaccines, and the youngest boy has severe eczema all the time. 
The nonvaxed ones have no chronic diseases or allergies.

My husband agreed with me about vaccines because he said he was always sick after he got his vaccines.  His brother is a TMer and told me that he too felt that he was always quite ill after his vaccines and that something was not right.  His guru told him that vaccinations are not necessary. Again, I am aware of the scandals he was attached to.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#10 of 21 Old 04-06-2014, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

For me, the first vaccine reaction I can remember was around 13 - Hep B was offered at my high school and my mother signed off that I would get it. I can remember walking down the hall after leaving the nurses office, getting to my social studies class, and basically feeling paralyzed in my chair.  I could hear the teacher talking but everything seemed distant, like a weird out of body thing, and after about 20mins it finally passed.  At the time I thought, gee, my father's epileptic, maybe it's hereditary and I just had a seizure, but for some reason I never told anyone til years later.

When I was working as a dog trainer, I got bit by a cat, went to the ER dutifully for my antibiotics that I thought I would lose a finger if I did not get, and they gave me a tetanus booster.  One year later I was in the ER for stitches from an accidental dog bite (he was actually a nice dog, just jumped for a toy as I swung my arm to throw!), couldn't remember my last tetanus so they shot me up.  I don't know what either of those actually was, assumably some variety of DT, TDaP, but definitely not a Tig...but I was hurting afterwards.  I think the first one passed quicker but the second one, I was out of sorts with severe joint pain, especially in my arm, for almost 2 weeks, feverish, lethargic.

I can only assume my childhood colic was exacerbated by vaccines, because as my mother recalls I cried all day and night, non-stop. I was only BF for 6 weeks then on formula and I've always had minor dairy issues.

DD didn't get vaxxed in he hospital - no vit k either - and was such an easy going baby the first 3 days.....then she had her first Hep B at the pediatrician's and shortly after began the colic and dairy issues (which I didn't discover was the cause til I eliminated it from my diet around 12weeks).

She had everything at 2mos (Pentacel, Prevnar, rotateq) - vomited profusely about an hour later (thanks rotateq!) and for about 2 days everything she ate came back up.  Then there was the low grade fever which never went above 99.8 but was enough of a difference from her norm for me to notice and lasted on and off for almost 2 weeks.  Then of course the screaming, omg the screaming, and the whimpering while nursing, broke my heart to hear her knowing she was in pain!! I'm not big on pain killers and so I didn't give her anything for it. (Thank god because later on we learned form the ND that she has an issue metabolizing the acetaminophen family and should avoid it!) At 4 mos she had a cold, so her next (and last) vaxes were at 5mos, everything but the rotateq....same old routine with the fever, screaming, and this time she had a huge injection site reaction as well with her leg becoming hard as a rock and bright red, and she screamed if I even brushed her pant leg against it while changing her.  Shortly after this she started on some solids and had her first allergic reaction - to oats.

I took zero pharmaceuticals in pregnancy, no invasive testing, no nothing - birth was pain med free but I was on a huge penicillin drip for group b strep and subsequently put on Pitocin because my first time labor was going "too slow" 14hours after my water broke with vey little contractions.  25 hours total (11 on pit) and I was spent!  I'm sure the antibiotics didn't help her stomach but she did amazingly well with the pit, never any signs of distress - I was absolutely terrified though that if I got an epi I would have had a major reaction because I do NOT do well on pain meds or any sort of knock out type drugs (99.9% positive I'm MTHFR, just haven't had the funds to get back to the ND with my raw genetic data).

At this point we're both gluten/dairy/soy sensitive, I also have a random blueberry sensitivity and she's got the oat allergy.

DH...I don't know about vaccine reactions but he's got a freaky high threshold for pain meds - like at 10 he broke his arm and was given morphine....enough for a 200lb adult and still no relief!  He is majorly gluten sensitive (former chiropractor pointed that one out) and I suspect dairy as well, just haven't gotten him to get tested.

#11 of 21 Old 04-07-2014, 01:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I originally started researching vaxxes when pregnant with my eldest because my hubby's niece had a severe reaction after her first vaccinations. (I don't know what vaxxes she received, she was born early 80s). My BIL and SIL never vaxxed her again, or her baby brother.
When my eldest was born, we decided to delay, as long as we felt necessary. Just before she turned one, hubby had to have a hep b vax for a new job; he immediately had welts so large under his arms that he couldn't put his arms against his body. He went to the dr and the dr told him not to have anymore hep vaxxes.
My youngest had an egg reaction at 9 months that ended her up in the er with head to toe hives and difficulty breathing...her lips literally started turning blue. Very scary. (The eggs were in a dish I made, not remembering that when I gave it to her). She needed an Epipen until 3, when we had her tested for eggs...thankfully she had outgrown any allergy.
My eldest still has outrageous allergies...seasonal, mould, dust....all generously inherited from dear hubby. smile.gif
I always think, ok, maybe I'll selectively vax them now that they're older....but my mama instincts stop me every time. I don't know what that's all about, but I just know that as long as I don't feel right about something, I'm not going to do it.

And I want to add, I'm SO GRATEFUL for this board and all of you...even though we've never met, I always feel your support through your posts, and your words give me strength...so thank you all on the INV board.
#12 of 21 Old 04-07-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

I think the most important thing that vaxers can do to keep their kids vaccine injury-free is avoid Tylenol if their child is having a vaccine reaction. As the link I posted above, the autism rate in Cuba is 278 times less than it is in the US. In Cube vaccines are mandatory, so 99.7% of the children are vaccinated, and while the schedule is slightly different, not hugely. The biggest difference is acetaminophen is not approved or used in Cuba.

Here is the link again:

Evidence that Increased Acetaminophen use in Genetically Vulnerable Children Appears to be a Major Cause of the Epidemics of Autism, Attention Deficit with Hyperactivity, and Asthma

It drives me batty that you can have a study like this done, and yet Tylenol boxes here in Canada have right on the box "effective for immunisations".
And from the Tylenol.ca website product description:
"For over fifty years, parents and doctors have placed their trust in Children’s TYLENOL® for fast, effective relief of fever and pain due to toothaches, immunizations, colds or flu."
#13 of 21 Old 04-07-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
And I want to add, I'm SO GRATEFUL for this board and all of you...even though we've never met, I always feel your support through your posts, and your words give me strength...so thank you all on the INV board. 

Me too.  :hug

I wish I had this when I was growing up or when my children were growing.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#14 of 21 Old 04-07-2014, 02:01 PM

That is awful, I had no idea that was on the Tylenol box or that the manufacturers were promoting its use with vaccination. I have not bought Tylenol since moving to the US in 1996. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronwen13 View Post

It drives me batty that you can have a study like this done, and yet Tylenol boxes here in Canada have right on the box "effective for immunisations".
And from the Tylenol.ca website product description:
"For over fifty years, parents and doctors have placed their trust in Children’s TYLENOL® for fast, effective relief of fever and pain due to toothaches, immunizations, colds or flu."

t

#15 of 21 Old 04-07-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

That is awful, I had no idea that was on the Tylenol box or that the manufacturers were promoting its use with vaccination. I have not bought Tylenol since moving to the US in 1996. 

Funny enough, the product photo on the Tylenol.ca website does not show the wording "effective for .... Immunisations"....but it is there...I'll have to take a photo of it.
#16 of 21 Old 04-07-2014, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As a young adult I got hypersomnia for up to a month after receiving hep b shots and my boosters. It had a huge effect on being able to go about my life. I also became very sick after each shot. That's when I stopped doing vaccines.
#17 of 21 Old 04-07-2014, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
My ds1 never had any one acute reaction but he was always sick.

As an infant, my niece was in the ER several times for unexplained crying/screaming episodes. My sister can't recall if they happened right after vaxes. She never crawled and began hand flapping as soon as she could sit up, which was close to a year old. She has a dx of aspergers but an MRI showed white matter damage. In the pre autism epidemic days she would have been called "retarded".

My BFFs fourth baby had mild paralysis in one leg, after two separate round of shots. She would crawl with both hands and the unaffected leg and just let the injured one drag behind. Her mother went on to fully vax all six of her kids and while a couple of them have had little health issues here and there, fortunately none seem to have any permanent damage.

Another close friend stopped all vaxes after her younger child developed guillan-barre (sp?)

Bring back the old MDC
#18 of 21 Old 04-07-2014, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I had a seizure about 20 minutes after the Hep B vaccine (it was one of those tables set up in the shopping mall so they didn't observe you afterwards). I've fainted quite a few times in my life, but this was totally different. Felt different while it was happening, while coming out of it, and the next day. Nothing like that had happened before or since. It was a crazy scary feeling when I was coming to, felt as thought I was paralyzed for a bit (probably only 20 seconds but it seemed like next to forever). I kept trying to move my hands/arms and my feet but they wouldn't do anything. My hands, feet, and mouth felt like they were burning. My mother said we were definitely not getting that one again. My sister didn't have a reaction, so she chose to get it later for her job. Then found out after a couple years that the vaccine didn't 'take' on her. The nurse tried to convince her that she could have two more sets (6 total doses) of it to see if it would work- she refused.

The military didn't care that I had chickenpox twice (confirmed) as a child and gave me the varicella vaccine- I ended up getting shingles some time later (early 20s). Unfortunately, those still bother me. Those nerves feel as though they are on fire again whenever I get really stressed.

The hospital gave my son the Hep B after I refused consent- I told the nurse my reaction to it and he (my son) started running a high fever so the Dr. put him on an increased observation schedule until it came down. Thankfully that was only a couple hours. A few hours later he had a terrible rash and ended up being diagnosed with eczema; he was a solid rash from neck to knee until 18 months old and still gets that rash easily.

Homeschooling,mom to DS1 ('02) , DS2 ('03) , and DD1 ('14) . Now living in a very cold place
#19 of 21 Old 04-07-2014, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

It is amazing how many people on this thread seemed to react to the Hep. b. vaccine.  

#20 of 21 Old 04-07-2014, 09:24 PM

If anyone is threatened with the Hepatitis B vaccine for employment, OSHA has a form for refusal; sign it and say "No". 

https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=10052

Hepatitis B was first identified in the shipyards of Bremen, Germany after a smallpox vaccine campaign in 1885. The workers were variolated with contaminated lymph. http://epirev.oxfordjournals.org/content/28/1/112.long

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hepatitis_B

So it is a vaccine for a vaccine reaction.

Hepatitis C is blamed on all those promiscuous, drug using baby boomers, but the VA has admitted that using the airgun for the inductees in the 1950s, 60s, and 70s caused the epidemic.

http://www.hcvets.com/

So it is a disease caused by a vaccine delivery system.

#21 of 21 Old 04-07-2014, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My child got hives after Hep B. Weirdly enough, he did not react to the first dose of it. That went fine, and he seemed to have no reaction to it at all. But the second dose, he broke out in hives everywhere and they didn't subside for a very long time. So we have a medical exemption to the last dose. I'd actually never seen hives before, and if you haven't, they are *freaky*. Spots that disappear within an hour but appear in new places on the body... My husband used to get them as a child in reaction to being overheated apparently. 

Book loving, editor mom to 2

Tags
Vaccinations

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page