Are there any tv shows that don't show non-vaxxers as complete idiots? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-09-2014, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Started the series House last night and in the first couple episodes there was a mom who didn't vax and got completely reamed.

Private Practice had a family that didn't vax and the Dr vaxxed the younger one without consent when the older one got sick.

Grey's Anatomy also recently had an episode where the non-vaxxer was made to be an idiot. 

Are there any shows that portray a non-vaxxer that actually did research?

applejuice likes this.
#2 of 6 Old 04-09-2014, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Not to my knowledge...the tv media is out to villify those who question, and paint the picture that the gov has our best interests at heart....barf...that goes for all media

applejuice likes this.
#3 of 6 Old 04-09-2014, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Not that I have seen. I have been wondering if Leverage ever touched on the subject. We are about half way through the 3rd season and I don't recall any specific to vaxxes but they do go after pharma in some of them. The one we watched a few days ago was on a medical trial that resulted in lots of deaths and the guy heading it was trying to repackage the product and sell it as something else.

applejuice likes this.

#4 of 6 Old 04-09-2014, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I had a temp job at a medical library in a large Medical Center in 1990.  We provided information for a television show that was about MASH units in Vietnam.  The information is controlled. You know why. What would happen if a well educated, non vaxing parent showed up at the ER ? That would not be allowed. I remember seeing things like this on Dr Welby and Dr Kildare. Nothing new here.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#5 of 6 Old 04-09-2014, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Private Practice and Grey's Anatomy are created/run by the same individual. There are plenty of parallels (and natural head-desk moments) among medical beliefs when you look at them through that lens.

applejuice likes this.

e

wife of my sun and stars

momma to tiny.human v1.0

tiny.human v2.0 summer 2014

#6 of 6 Old 04-09-2014, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

If you do not like the way nonvaxers are portrayed on these programs, write to the sponsors of the program and/or boycott those products - let them know why. Yes, that takes time and energy that should go to your children, but at least these companies know there are people out there in great numbers who do not like the way they are portrayed.

Decades ago, my Chiropractic Father and my mom often would be interviewed for a show or news segment about families with health foods and organic lifestyles; my parents were very ordinary - other people could connect with them. But when the programs were put together, my parents never made the final cut. There could have been other reasons, but often the people who made the final broadcast were not mainstream looking nor were they anyone that most people would identify with. 

The media likes to make people who refuse vaccines as crazy nuts who do not think the way us normal people do and should be shunned and have their children taken away.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page