Tetanus - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 04-10-2014, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Do you let your kids run barefoot?

I was in the park, down by the water, with a friend and her little one, and she wouldn't let him take off his shoes because he hasn't been vaxed for tetanus.  He was crying because he wanted to run barefoot on the pebbles, and into the stream.  

I felt sad.

I wouldn't let my kid go barefoot in many obvious situations, but I think if he wants to go barefoot by the stream, and walk on the pebbles, then I might let him at least get his feet wet.  

Am I naive in thinking this is okay?

applejuice likes this.
#2 of 14 Old 04-10-2014, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I see no problem in that situation.
My unvaxed (almost) 6year old, is the barefoot king! I swear I couldn't pay the kid to keep his shoes on!

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#3 of 14 Old 04-10-2014, 04:07 PM

Unless it's a really dirty stream, I wouldn't see why it would matter.

My boys go barefoot just about everywhere they're allowed (my siblings & I were the same way). I do make them keep shoes/sandals on if they're going to be in someone's horse/cattle pen or such. Though we all went barefoot in the chicken coop...

applejuice likes this.

Homeschooling,knit.gifmom to DS1 ('02) reading.gif, DS2 ('03) jog.gif, and  stork-suprise.gif in Aug '14. Now living in a very cold place cold.gifsaynovax.gif
#4 of 14 Old 04-10-2014, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

My kids play barefeet in the streams quite often. If the area was littered I probably wouldn't let them simply because I would be concerned about glass. They don't play barefoot at the parks in the grass for this reason - even though they are supposed to be glass-free zones I often see it in the grass and don't want to risk them slicing open their feet.

applejuice likes this.

#5 of 14 Old 04-10-2014, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)

Sometimes I did and sometimes I didn't…but it was always about glass or worry of needles, not tetanus.  

applejuice and swede like this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#6 of 14 Old 04-12-2014, 07:27 AM

Yes, my kids are usually barefoot, but sometimes I say no if there is a visible hazard.
applejuice and swede like this.
#7 of 14 Old 04-13-2014, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Same here - DD is nearly always barefoot!  If there was a visible risk I'd have her put shoes on.  We've got a small waterway in our backyard that's part of a drainage easement for street runoff, so not necessarily the cleanest water and for some reason there is a TON of broken glass in the dirt on the hill leading to the water, assumedly they brought in a lot of cheap fill to build up the backyard and every time the ground heaves in the spring a new batch pops up.  The dogs have occasionally cut a pad running back there so DD def doesn't go that far, but in the grass I worry a bit less - it's a thick grass with good roots so less chance of things popping up!

applejuice likes this.
#8 of 14 Old 04-21-2014, 08:01 PM

My daughter was climbing a tree today and a branch broke and she scraped her leg pretty good. It looks like the branch may have punctured her a bit, there's a red dot .... I cleaned it with melaleuca oil (tea tree oil)...I'm trying not to worry...anything else I can do? It's on the back of her leg.
applejuice likes this.
#9 of 14 Old 04-21-2014, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

If you are really worried, wash it with hydrogen peroxide, followed by  betadine solution. Make sure it bleeds.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#10 of 14 Old 04-28-2014, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by platon20 View Post

Hydrogen peroxide causes free radical formation which infiltrates cells and causes apoptosis.

Next time you recommend a treatment maybe you should know how it works first.

You are a  pro-vaxxers, as is evident by your other posts.

Pro-vaxxers are not welcome on INV.  Please read the user guidelines. 

"Members who are vaccinating should not post here to debate or argue accuracy or opinion of things posted. "

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#11 of 14 Old 04-28-2014, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by platon20 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post

If you are really worried, wash it with hydrogen peroxide, followed by  betadine solution. Make sure it bleeds.

Hydrogen peroxide causes free radical formation which infiltrates cells and causes apoptosis.

Next time you recommend a treatment maybe you should know how it works first.

Next time YOU mandate a vaccination, I hope you fully inform the patient/parent as to ALL of the possible side effects including death.  It is called informed consent.

Also, next time you mandate a vaccination, tell the patient/parent all about the legal exemptions that are available to them to use. That too would be full informed consent.

Read and follow the rules of this forum. It is obvious you do not believe that these rules apply to you, but they do.

Mirzam, BeckyBird and Taximom5 like this.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#12 of 14 Old 04-29-2014, 02:27 PM

I do not let my kids run barefoot on area with things that could puncture their soles, tetanus vaxxed or not. I have no issue with barefoot on grass or at the beach. In my garden or a public park? No.
applejuice likes this.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#13 of 14 Old 04-29-2014, 02:29 PM

Bronwen13, that scratch type tree branch injury wouldn't make me think tetanus red flag...A tree branch is not an anerobic environment.
applejuice likes this.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#14 of 14 Old 04-29-2014, 02:31 PM

But really, even if I vaxxed the kids, I don't think it's wise from a blatant infection aspect to run barefoot at a park like I see kids doing now and then.
applejuice likes this.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page