Hey, non-Americans - get in here! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-11-2014, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)

Do you worry that American vaccine policy and politics will affect the vaccine policy in your country?

applejuice likes this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#2 of 9 Old 04-11-2014, 02:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Yes I do, and its scares me. I am not anti-vaccine, just pro-choice, and I think that I should have a right to do what I think is best for my child regarding vaccines, her reactions, and family history. 

applejuice likes this.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#3 of 9 Old 04-11-2014, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 193 Post(s)

I worry as well.

It is hard living next to such a large country.  Sometime we do do things because Americans do them (war in the middle east, anyone?).  Harper can seem very American at time - as can most conservatives, IMHO.

We do not always follow policy when it comes to health care - in some glaringly obvious ways - but it is a concern.

applejuice likes this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#4 of 9 Old 04-11-2014, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)

Wouldn't they have to change the constitution though?  

“Unlike some countries, immunization is not mandatory in Canada; it cannot be made mandatory because of the Canadian Constitution. Only three provinces have legislation or regulations under their health-protection acts to require proof of immunization for school entrance. Ontario and New Brunswick require proof for diphtheria, tetanus, polio, measles, mumps, and rubella immunization. In Manitoba, only measles vaccination is covered. It must be emphasized that, in these three provinces, exceptions are permitted on medical or religious grounds and reasons of conscience; legislation and regulations must not be interpreted to imply compulsory immunization.

Immunization in Canada – Volume: 23S4 – May 1997 — Canadian National Report on Immunization, 1996 Health Canada Website

And I don't think we'd want to open that can of worms again any time soon!fencing.gif

MountainMamaGC and aggie pop like this.

"Practically every food you buy in a store for consumption by humans is genetically modified food"
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Astrophysicist/GMO defender
#5 of 9 Old 04-13-2014, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Well American here saying I hope for your sake you don't have to be subject to the monkey see monkey do of country politics!  We do SOOOO much wrong here, getting worse every day, clearly we're not as put together and "large and in charge" as the powers that be would like to think we are!

Mirzam and BeckyBird like this.
#6 of 9 Old 04-18-2014, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I hope you don't mind me asking here but I have a couple of questions for those outside the U.S. -

What kind of mandates do you have regarding vaxxing and how easy/hard is it to get exemptions?

What kind of legal access do you have to being compensated if your child reacts poorly to a vaxx? Do you have the same kind of restrictions that we do here where you can only go to a special vaxx-court instead of going after the manufactuers themselves?

#7 of 9 Old 04-18-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post

I hope you don't mind me asking here but I have a couple of questions for those outside the U.S. -

What kind of mandates do you have regarding vaxxing and how easy/hard is it to get exemptions?

What kind of legal access do you have to being compensated if your child reacts poorly to a vaxx? Do you have the same kind of restrictions that we do here where you can only go to a special vaxx-court instead of going after the manufactuers themselves?

There are no mandates in the province I live.  In the provinces that do require some vaccines for school entry, all three exemptions (medical, philosophical and religious) are available.

There is no compensation for vaccine injury in Canada except for Quebec. They say you can sue the vaccine maker or provider but no one has ever won.

But during the alleged H1N1 pandemic of 2009 the vaccine makers were indemnified:

Quote:

If there are lawsuits over the H1N1 vaccine, it will be the federal government, not the vaccine maker, that picks up the tab for any damages awarded by courts.

Contracts between governments and vaccine manufacturers usually include an indemnity clause that exempts companies if there are problems with a vaccine, Canada's chief public health officer, Dr. David Butler-Jones, told reporters Wednesday. http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/taxpayers-on-hook-for-any-h1n1-vaccine-damages-1.815319

fruitfulmomma and kathymuggle like this.

"Practically every food you buy in a store for consumption by humans is genetically modified food"
Neil deGrasse Tyson
#8 of 9 Old 04-18-2014, 06:29 PM

I just want to add that there are vaccines given at school here in grade 5 (Hep B and HPV) and grade 9 (TdaP, Meningococcal)

and forms were sent home.  All I had to do was write "refused" on the forms and send them back to school.

I don't send my children to medical or dental appointments on their own so even if I did want them to have vaccines, I wouldn't have signed the forms for them to have it at school without me present.  I really can't understand why parents are okay with it.  But that may be another thread. 

applejuice likes this.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
#9 of 9 Old 04-21-2014, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

In some ways, I think what goes on in the US influences things here in Australia…namely new vaccines to add to the schedule etc. In other areas, they seem to diverge. An example is with the  recommended ages for use of infant combos on children. The US and Canada recommend that infant combos are not used on kids over aged 7 because of the higher risk of adverse events, while Australia says that it's okay. I argued this point with my GP, but he wouldn't go against the governmental recommendations.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post

Vaccination is not mandatory here but having lived in Canada and now living in Australia, I know that there's much less tolerance here for families who do not vaccinate according to the schedule. The government keeps tabs with a national registry. Kids not UTD means that parents cannot apply for Family Tax Benefits (thousands of dollars a year). Currently, families with a Conscientious Objection in place can apply, but there is ongoing discussion about revoking this "loophole." I personally think it's ludicrous that a family's rightful and legally-entitled financial benefits are tied to their kids' vaccination status. Some states have started the "no jab, no play" at preschools and playgroups. The media is always spinning the latest vaccine issue endlessly. Even with the latest this month on the lack of effectiveness with the current pertussis vaccine, it was spun as a reason to get more boosters, more often. Nice logic. 

Getting a Conscientious Objection is simple enough if you can find a physician willing to sign it. Many doctors refuse. 

Right now, there is NO means of no-fault compensation here in Australia for documented vaccine-related injuries. Even the most ardent pro-vaccine voices find this ridiculous. Look at the Saba Button case. That is a verified case of permanent injury from the flu vaccine that ultimately ended up being banned for use in kids under age 5. Yet, the manufacturers state that they are not liable because the government ultimately gave them approval. So, the manufacturer says they are not responsible and there's no compensation available from government. It's not good. 

samaxtics likes this.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page