Puncture wound that didn't bleed - should I get the TIG? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 04-12-2014, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My 5 year old daughter was visiting a friend on her farm and she fell on a board that had a small piece of nail sticking out.  She got a small puncture wound on her leg - it's not very deep, but it didn't bleed at all.  I squeezed it a little to try and get some blood to come out because I know a wound that bleeds had little risks of tetanus, but no blood at all came out.  The wound looks very small now and the puncture part seems to be covered over with a scab.  She didn't cry and said it didn't hurt.

She is not vaxxed - I read that I have 72 hours to get her the TIG.  We recently moved to a new community and I dont have a Dr here yet who is aware of her vax status.  I've hear the TIG can also be hard to find.  This just happened 4 hours ago so I still have time to decide.

DOes anyone have any links to reliable articles or studies that could help me decide what to do?  Any knowledge about the risks and side effects of the TIG?

Thanks!

applejuice likes this.

Loving wife to DH and buddamomimg1.pngmama to DD (11/08) and DS (2/12)

#2 of 16 Old 04-12-2014, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

UPDATE - when my daughter was going to bed, I asked her to pick off the scab that was starting to form (she loves picking scabs) and I was able to squeeze out a drop or two of blood which made me feel better. I also cleaned it with hydrogen peroxide again.   I also called a few places trying to find the TIG but i haven't been able to locate it yet

applejuice likes this.

#3 of 16 Old 04-12-2014, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Not sure about whether that particular wound would put her at risk or not. Some of the other more knowledgable ladies may chime in.

If you do decide you want tig you may have to call the er or county health to see if they have it or can get it for you.

applejuice likes this.

#4 of 16 Old 04-12-2014, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)

I am going to skip advising, as a non-bleeding puncture wound from a farm is something that would send many (but not all) non-vaxxers scurrying to the ER for TIG.

What I would make sure of is that they do not give her a tetanus shot if you bring her in.  It is protocal, as far as I understand it, to offer a tetanus shot when you present with a wound.  This is useless for this wound - and is really just a sneaky way of catching you up.

You want TIG for the wound if you want anything - not a tetanus shot.  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#5 of 16 Old 04-13-2014, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What did you decide. OP?

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#6 of 16 Old 04-13-2014, 07:25 PM

Well, TiG and the tetanus shot, right? The first is to protect from infection while the vaccine immunity builds. I'm not sure that the TiG alone provides sufficient protection, but don't quote me on that.
applejuice likes this.
#7 of 16 Old 04-13-2014, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

They generally do the tetanus shot in the ER because it's an easy way to booster people who may not visit their doctor for it on any particular schedule, and it's not one I've ever herd mentioned regularly at adult well visits.  Also, because it's a combo, they can hit you up with pertussis as well.  TIG is the one you actually need to fight tetanus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherFamily View Post

Well, TiG and the tetanus shot, right? The first is to protect from infection while the vaccine immunity builds. I'm not sure that the TiG alone provides sufficient protection, but don't quote me on that.

Two ER visits for me to get stitches - neither wound warranted a tetanus jab of any kind (both animal bites) but I got DT or some other tetanus combo, def not TIG because it was only one shot each time.  If they are truly worried about it being tetanus, TIG is the only way to go.

applejuice likes this.
#8 of 16 Old 04-14-2014, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter

I still haven't been able to find the TIG....the wound looks ok and I keep putting on hydrogen peroxide which bubbles up nicely....

If I can find it I will give it her, if not I will keep dousing it with hydrogen peroxide and praying for the best...

applejuice likes this.

#9 of 16 Old 04-14-2014, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaisy View Post

I still haven't been able to find the TIG....the wound looks ok and I keep putting on hydrogen peroxide which bubbles up nicely....

If I can find it I will give it her, if not I will keep dousing it with hydrogen peroxide and praying for the best...

I am floored and borderline apalled the hospital doesn't have it.

If you do find it, look up how effective it is xyz number of hours after the wound to see if it is worth it.  

applejuice and sassyfirechick like this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#10 of 16 Old 04-14-2014, 07:45 AM

http://www.drugs.com/monograph/tetanus-immune-globulin.html

Quote:
TIG is not necessary for tetanus postexposure prophylaxis in patients with clean, minor wounds (regardless of their immunization status)

Quote:

Because TIG is prepared from pooled human plasma, it may carry a risk of transmitting infectious agents, including the causative agents of viral hepatitis and HIV infection, and theoretically may carry a risk of transmitting the causative agent of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) or variant CJD (vCJD).

Lovely!

And here's what I was looking for:

Quote:
•Tetanus incubation period is usually 8–10 days (range 3–21 days) following infection of a wound

Bottom line, you cleaned the wound and are probably ok.  There's a lot on info on there about pros and cons and from the wording it would seem docs are not very likely to administer TIG unless they truly believe that there is a clear risk of tetanus because the TIG itself seems pretty risky.

You can also read about the push for Tdap to provide the "long term" benefits.  TIG has a half life of 28 days and does not contain thimerosol.

#11 of 16 Old 04-15-2014, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

UPDATE - we live in a foreign country which is why we had such a hard time finding the TIG...

Then, on top of everything our house was broken into on Sunday and our computers and internet router stolen, so I haven't been able to do as much research as I would have wanted to

I was able to find the tetanus antiserum - apparently the TIG is practically impossible to find in my country.  The antiserum is made with horse antibodies.  I REALLY did not like the idea of giving her animal proteins but the side effects listed in the insert were very minor, just a risk of allergic reaction and nothing else was listed.  The inactive ingredients were not too terrible - no aluminum or thimerisol or formaldehyde.  And my 72 hour timeframe was running out, so I gave it to her.  The Dr who looked at the wound said tetanus is a risk and I should definitely give it to her.  He said there are still occasional cases of tetanus in the country and during his residency he saw a 5 year old with full blown tetanus and it was terrible.

I am usually very laid back with cuts and scrapes, but the fact that this was a puncture would that did not bleed (we were not able to get to our hydrogen peroxide until about 3 hours later) and it happened on a farm with chickens and a pig, it seemed like there actually could be a risk of tetanus.

So my 5 year old has had an injection for the first time in her life...thankfully she is ok so far, no immediate reaction, but I still am unsettled about it.  I am hoping that since she has never had any other vaccines, we eat clean, and she rarely ever takes medicine, any negative ingredients in the injection will be offset and not present any problems.  She does have a strong immune system. 

fruitfulmomma and applejuice like this.

#12 of 16 Old 04-15-2014, 06:02 AM

It sounds like the antiserum IS TIG? I don't know the difference can someone elaborate?

OP I think you made a well thought out decision.
applejuice likes this.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#13 of 16 Old 04-15-2014, 06:05 AM

Op - glad you were able to find something and are at peace with your decisions.  Healing vibes for your daughter!

Kathy

applejuice likes this.

#14 of 16 Old 04-15-2014, 06:26 AM

You did what you had to in an uncertain situation, no shame in that.  If you are concerned about lingering effects and have access to a naturopath you can always make an apt to have her looked at an possibly detox with homeopathics.  We went that route with DD after stopping vaxxes and found that DTaP and Hib were the offenders in her case.

applejuice likes this.
#15 of 16 Old 04-15-2014, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone,

the TIG is made with human antibodies, the antiserum is made with horse antibodies.  I think there is more of a risk of an allergic reaction with the antiserum so that is why they suggest it should only be used when the TIG is not available.  It's also much cheaper - it cost me a whopping $7.50 so I think it's generally used in non Western countries because of the cost.  She still seems fine - the dr wanted to give her tylenol right after they administered the shot because he said she will develop a fever but I politely declined and she hasn't had a fever yet.   

applejuice and sassyfirechick like this.

#16 of 16 Old 04-28-2014, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by platon20 View Post

Lots of misinformation on this thread:

1.  Getting a puncture wound to bleed has ZERO BEARING on tetanus risk.

2.  Hydrogen peroxide causes cell death by free radical formation.  In other words, it is a TOXIN that kills your skin cells.  Hardly something you want to put on you.

Please re-read the guidlelines before posting in a SUPPORT ONLY FORUM...thank you

kathymuggle and samaxtics like this.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page