Please help a girl out... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 04-15-2014, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone,

I am a college student, trying to conduct a survey of a particular group of people and so far I have gotten some negative, and frankly, rude responses.  So we will try this again. 
My survey is for an undergraduate writing course where I must develop an analytical report that analyzes the data that I will receive from this survey. There will nothing further done with the results of the survey. It will be between my instructor, myself, and some peers in my course.

With that I am asking for people to take 5-10 minutes out of their busy, busy lives to answer my 10 question survey. I am looking at the topic of literature of vaccines, and my survey is designed to look at sources of different views of the controversial vaccine discussion. 

The link is below:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KGXT8KZ

Thanks so much! I really do appreciate your help!

N

#2 of 30 Old 04-16-2014, 03:27 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

The  problem is, these two questions you posted do not coincide with my reasons for not vaccinating, therefore, i could not complete said survey.   There was no 'argument' to be had in the first place. I didn't argue with anyone over it. 

Quote:
9. Who and/or where did you first learn about these arguments?
Who and/or where did you first learn about these arguments?
10. How old were you when these arguments were first presented to you?

#3 of 30 Old 04-16-2014, 06:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I'm sorry you were treated rudely. There's no excuse for that.

I actively discourage parents who aren't vaccinating on schedule from helping researchers and reporters because more often than not, the results get used against us.

Your intentions may be good, but that may be the reason for the backlash. Good luck with your assignment.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#4 of 30 Old 04-16-2014, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

nike12, welcome aboard!

We have had reporters come to this site with surveys, where they ignored answers that didn't fit with what they had already decided to write, so there is more than a little distrust of surveys at this point.

I would like to suggest that you stay here awhile, do reading on both sides of the issue (if you go to the "Vaccinating on Schedule" forum on this website, you'll get the pro-vax side), and, above all, ask questions on both sides.  Get to know the different perspectives, and get to know (as much as you can, on the anonymous internet) the individuals expressing those perspectives.  Then you'll really have some knowledge of the subject.

A short survey will give you only very shallow understanding (if even that) of a very complicated subject.

I know you are a college student, probably working as well, and have very limited time.  But many of us here are mothers with several children AND full-time jobs.  Obviously, we feel it's important to be here, to ask questions, and to pass on whatever we've learned.  You might learn more than you ever bargained for here...

#5 of 30 Old 04-16-2014, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Your survey has a major flaw. First, it asks which vaccines the child has gotten, then it asks a yes or no question whether the parent has gotten the above mentioned vaccines. Which vaccines? My child has not gotten any, but I was fully vaccinated as a child--with polio, DTP, and one dose of MMR. NOT chickenpox, hepatitis A, hepatitis B, flu, rotavirus, pneumococcal, Hib, or HPV, because those weren't on the schedule at the time.

The survey appears to be closed now, anyway.

sassyfirechick likes this.
#6 of 30 Old 04-16-2014, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)

I guess being told no thanks could be considered a negative response.

But since when is being asked to start one's own thread or whether one's survey has ethical approval considered rude? 

headscratch.gif

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1400466/theres-no-such-thing-as-a-good-reaction-to-a-vaccine/20#post_17610356

sassyfirechick likes this.
#7 of 30 Old 04-16-2014, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmy526 View Post

The  problem is, these two questions you posted do not coincide with my reasons for not vaccinating, therefore, i could not complete said survey.   There was no 'argument' to be had in the first place. I didn't argue with anyone over it. 

please note the third definition of argument. This is how I was using it in this context. I will note that maybe it wasn't the right word for the questions. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/argument

#8 of 30 Old 04-16-2014, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

To samaxtics:

I was and still am upset with how people were handling the post. Don't respond if you don't want to fill it out, simple as that. Honestly I said how long it was going to take and that I am college student. It was not meant to take focus off the original post. I saw a post that was being responded to by a group of people who fit the parameters that I needed. I thought that was it would be more widely seen if it was posted on an already started thread. I will repeat what I posted in this thread: this is for an undergraduate level course. The "ethical" approval is not needed. This paper isn't going to be publish. All I get from it is a grade.

#9 of 30 Old 04-16-2014, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2two View Post

Your survey has a major flaw. First, it asks which vaccines the child has gotten, then it asks a yes or no question whether the parent has gotten the above mentioned vaccines. Which vaccines? My child has not gotten any, but I was fully vaccinated as a child--with polio, DTP, and one dose of MMR. NOT chickenpox, hepatitis A, hepatitis B, flu, rotavirus, pneumococcal, Hib, or HPV, because those weren't on the schedule at the time.

I just need to know basics; if the parents had received any and if there is a difference in the generations for receiving vaccines. The report is focusing more on the children's vaccinations rather than the parents. This report that I am writing is not very indepth. If I were to conduct another survey and do research on the subject, I would take this into consideration. 

#10 of 30 Old 04-16-2014, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nike12 View Post

To samaxtics:

I was and still am upset with how people were handling the post. Don't respond if you don't want to fill it out, simple as that. Honestly I said how long it was going to take and that I am college student. It was not meant to take focus off the original post. I saw a post that was being responded to by a group of people who fit the parameters that I needed. I thought that was it would be more widely seen if it was posted on an already started thread. I will repeat what I posted in this thread: this is for an undergraduate level course. The "ethical" approval is not needed. This paper isn't going to be publish. All I get from it is a grade.

Perhaps you are not familiar with how forums work.  Any member of that forum can respond to a post provided they are following the guidelines as set out by MDC.

Perhaps you are new to the issue but the subject of vaccinations is quite contentious.  If you are asking for favours, it is always helpful to give as much information possible behind the request. But to start off complaining about mistreatment when there is no evidence of it and dictating what people are allowed to do or not allowed to do usually won't be received well and does not inspire trust. 

applejuice and serenbat like this.
#11 of 30 Old 04-16-2014, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

nike12, welcome aboard!

We have had reporters come to this site with surveys, where they ignored answers that didn't fit with what they had already decided to write, so there is more than a little distrust of surveys at this point.

I would like to suggest that you stay here awhile, do reading on both sides of the issue (if you go to the "Vaccinating on Schedule" forum on this website, you'll get the pro-vax side), and, above all, ask questions on both sides.  Get to know the different perspectives, and get to know (as much as you can, on the anonymous internet) the individuals expressing those perspectives.  Then you'll really have some knowledge of the subject.

A short survey will give you only very shallow understanding (if even that) of a very complicated subject.

I know you are a college student, probably working as well, and have very limited time.  But many of us here are mothers with several children AND full-time jobs.  Obviously, we feel it's important to be here, to ask questions, and to pass on whatever we've learned.  You might learn more than you ever bargained for here...

Thanks for your input. I am not trying to skew results that I have received or use them in a different way than I described on the initial post. I understand fully that this survey that I am conducting will not give me a full understanding of this subject. I am working with the other side of the argument too. You are correct; I am operating on a very short timeline. I am on this site because it is mothers and they do want to share what they have learned. This is what I was hoping for when I found this forum. I have so far learn a great deal and I am extremely grateful to all of those who have responded! Thank you!

#12 of 30 Old 04-16-2014, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2two View Post

Quote:

I just need to know basics; if the parents had received any and if there is a difference in the generations for receiving vaccines. The report is focusing more on the children's vaccinations rather than the parents. This report that I am writing is not very indepth. If I were to conduct another survey and do research on the subject, I would take this into consideration. 

I agree with ma2two, I didn't bother either because it's badly worded and frankly I can't see the value in survey that doesn't really ask what I feel are appropriate questions.

Why bother for a report that is not even very in-depth - makes me feel like we are being skimmed, not accurately and very judgmental, in other words - make us look like a joke!

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#13 of 30 Old 04-16-2014, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post

I'm sorry you were treated rudely. There's no excuse for that.

I actively discourage parents who aren't vaccinating on schedule from helping researchers and reporters because more often than not, the results get used against us.

Your intentions may be good, but that may be the reason for the backlash. Good luck with your assignment.

I respect those feelings. I would not want to answer researchers or reporters who would negatively skew the results either. I was hoping that if I mentioned I was a college student people would be more receptive. It didn't really happen that way.
Thanks!

#14 of 30 Old 04-16-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:

I respect those feelings. I would not want to answer researchers or reporters who would negatively skew the results either. I was hoping that if I mentioned I was a college student people would be more receptive. It didn't really happen that way.
Thanks!

I'm sorry but I know someone who is also a "college student", she in grad school, in her 50's, being a "college" student IMO doesn't garner immediate receptive rapport!

The assumption that you feel you or anyone (as in the case of the person I know) need a certain level shown to you, shows me total lack of understanding of who you are trying to cater to. 

&

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#15 of 30 Old 04-16-2014, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)

I did answer.  It seemed benign enough and it was anonymous.  Meh, I am bit of a softie :)

I did find the questions on the survey could have been worded better.  For example - you asked if the kids were vaccinated.  I have one who is half vaccinated, one is completely unvaccinated and one who has had one vaccine.  There was no space for multiple answers.   I ended up explaining things in a comment box.  You will find that many non-vaxxers did vaccinate one but not the other - there was a change of plan for one reason or another.

At a minimum, I hope you will learn to better construct surveys.  Perhaps pass them by a few people (similar to ones who will be answering your questions) to see if the questions are good?  There is an art to question writing!  

In any event, I hope you got what you needed from the survey.  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#16 of 30 Old 04-16-2014, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

I agree with ma2two, I didn't bother either because it's badly worded and frankly I can't see the value in survey that doesn't really ask what I feel are appropriate questions.

Why bother for a report that is not even very in-depth - makes me feel like we are being skimmed, not accurately and very judgmental, in other words - make us look like a joke!

I am sorry you feel that way. It is not my intention to make you feel that way. It your opinion that it is "badly worded;" I had instructors look over my survey multiple times before I administered it. The questions may not seem appropriate to you but to my report, they are. It is your decision to not respond; I am not twisting your arm to do it.

#17 of 30 Old 04-16-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:

I am sorry you feel that way. It is not my intention to make you feel that way. It your opinion that it is "badly worded;" I had instructors look over my survey multiple times before I administered it. The questions may not seem appropriate to you but to my report, they are. It is your decision to not respond; I am not twisting your arm to do it.

Your professors are not your audience, though.

I think it might make sense, going forward, to have a basic understanding of the issue and of your audience when writing surveys.

I hope this comes across as constructive criticism - as it is intended to be postive.  Writing a solid survey is hard.  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#18 of 30 Old 04-16-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:

Kathy sums is up about the wording.

You are not getting a true pictures here by your questions and apparently you are not looking for one either, thus that is why many of us have an issue here. It comes off as I stated, we are being used and not in a accurate way. 

&

#19 of 30 Old 04-16-2014, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm sorry but I know someone who is also a "college student", she in grad school, in her 50's, being a "college" student IMO doesn't garner immediate receptive rapport!

The assumption that you feel you or anyone (as in the case of the person I know) need a certain level shown to you, shows me total lack of understanding of who you are trying to cater to. 

ok for the third time I am in an undergraduate course. I am 22. What I meant by receptive is that I was hoping people would be understanding that I was doing it for a class not for research or for a news article. That the information I gathered wasn't going to be used against them. I am not a bad person, just a student trying to graduate from college.

#20 of 30 Old 04-16-2014, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

Your professors are not your audience, though.

I think it might make sense, going forward, to have a basic understanding of the issue and of your audience when writing surveys.

I hope this comes across as constructive criticism - as it is intended to be postive.  Writing a solid survey is hard.  

I understand that; thanks for the criticism. I do understand that the instructors are not the audience, but they do have a general understanding of the audience, as do I. Survey writing is an art and I do not intend on making it my career.

#21 of 30 Old 04-16-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:

ok for the third time I am in an undergraduate course. I am 22. What I meant by receptive is that I was hoping people would be understanding that I was doing it for a class not for research or for a news article. That the information I gathered wasn't going to be used against them. I am not a bad person, just a student trying to graduate from college.

No one said you were a bad person.

Perhaps has you mature and if you looked into the threads on here you would see you are far from the first to come on here with the same requests.

If one can not accurately answer within the given choices it makes it inaccurate.

If you read over other posts you might see "we" are none to happy to be portrayed in the unflattering media light (or by anyone) that has been shone on us, coming off as we have is not what I would say anyone here wants.

Hearing it's not really in-depth really is no incentive either.

applejuice likes this.

&

#22 of 30 Old 04-16-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:

ok for the third time I am in an undergraduate course. I am 22. 

Well, I cannot resist getting to someone before they procreate (and I did do you a favour and answered your survey - so read my list :blowkiss)

The only newborns who might warrant Hep b vaccination at birth are those whose mothers are Hep. b positive.

Please do not give acetaminophen at the same time as a vaccine.

Anti-depressants in pregnancy are associated with 2-3 times the risk of autism

MMR and V separeately are safer than MMRV.

Breastfeeding can be difficult in the first 6 weeks, but after you have found your groove, it is typically easier and very rewarding.  

Non-vaccinated children can go to school in most places.  Exemptions are your friend.

All of the above are verifiable from mainstream sources - such as the CDC.  

applejuice likes this.

#23 of 30 Old 04-16-2014, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

I understand that; thanks for the criticism. I do understand that the instructors are not the audience, but they do have a general understanding of the audience, as do I. Survey writing is an art and I do not intend on making it my career.

I wouldn't count on your instructors understanding the audience; there are an awful lot of myths in circulation about the reasons people question vaccines.  Honestly, you picked a doozy of a subject for an undergraduate report that isn't very in-depth.

applejuice and samaxtics like this.
#24 of 30 Old 04-16-2014, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Kathy sums is up about the wording.

You are not getting a true pictures here by your questions and apparently you are not looking for one either, thus that is why many of us have an issue here. It comes off as I stated, we are being used and not in a accurate way. 

I am trying to get a GENERAL view. It is not many people who have an issue it is about 5. I have plenty of respondents who took the time and understand what I am trying to do. I would really like it if you would respect what I am trying to accomplish. The report I am writing is not a thesis, dissertations, or capstone. It is one paper that I have spent about 2 weeks working on for one grade of about 5 in a 4-credit class. Obviously I am not going to get a very conclusive result in that amount of time and with the number of respondents I received. 

applejuice likes this.
#25 of 30 Old 04-16-2014, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelsmama View Post

I wouldn't count on your instructors understanding the audience; there are an awful lot of myths in circulation about the reasons people question vaccines.  Honestly, you picked a doozy of a subject for an undergraduate report that isn't very in-depth.

Trust me, I know. I have thought about changing my topic many times.

applejuice likes this.
#26 of 30 Old 04-16-2014, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Quote:

ok for the third time I am in an undergraduate course. I am 22. 

Well, I cannot resist getting to someone before they procreate (and I did do you a favour and answered your survey - so read my list :blowkiss)

The only newborns who might warrant Hep b vaccination at birth are those whose mothers are Hep. b positive.

Breastfeeding can be difficult in the first 6 weeks, but after you have found your groove, it is typically easier and very rewarding.  

Non-vaccinated children can go to school in most places.  Exemptions are your friend.

Can I add, please do not vaccinate a child that is sick, even a little bit, ie cough, cold, fever etc. Wait until they are well.

applejuice and samaxtics like this.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#27 of 30 Old 04-16-2014, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

thanks for your input

applejuice likes this.
#28 of 30 Old 04-16-2014, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

No one said you were a bad person.

Perhaps has you mature and if you looked into the threads on here you would see you are far from the first to come on here with the same requests.

If one can not accurately answer within the given choices it makes it inaccurate.

If you read over other posts you might see "we" are none to happy to be portrayed in the unflattering media light (or by anyone) that has been shone on us, coming off as we have is not what I would say anyone here wants.

Hearing it's not really in-depth really is no incentive either.

I just don't understand why you feel the need to keep bringing this to my attention. You are not the only one who has told me this. I respect that the media has put the anti-vaccination movement in a bad light and that people are hesitant to respond. I told them upfront what I am doing, and who I am. It is their decision to not take the survey, as it is yours. I respect your opinion that the results may be inaccurate, but I will respectfully disagree. 

applejuice likes this.
#29 of 30 Old 04-16-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:

I just don't understand why you feel the need to keep bringing this to my attention. You are not the only one who has told me this. I respect that the media has put the anti-vaccination movement in a bad light and that people are hesitant to respond. I told them upfront what I am doing, and who I am. It is their decision to not take the survey, as it is yours. I respect your opinion that the results may be inaccurate, but I will respectfully disagree. 

If you looked at just 2013 and how many came here asking basically the same thing perhaps you would not have. You have every right to get as many to participate as you can and I and others have the right not to participate and point out how these have used towards those who do not vaccinate.

applejuice likes this.

&

#30 of 30 Old 04-16-2014, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Well, the survey is closed, and I don't know what was asked, so, on the off chance that it helps you, here is my history regarding vaccine choice:

My first child was a 4.5 pound premie.  He was given hep B vaccine when he was 4 hours old, in spite of the fact that neither my husband nor I were carriers.  He had a seizure reaction to his 2-month vaccines.  I didn't know it was a seizure, because I'd never seen one before.  He was arching his back, flailing, and screaming in a way that I have never heard, before or since.  It didn't sound at all like a baby.  It sounded like an animal being tortured.  It wasn't a febrile seizure, because he didn't have  a fever.

When I called the pediatrician's office to ask if I could bring my baby in right away, as I was sure something was terribly wrong, I was scolded by the nurse, who told me I was an over-reacting, hysterical new mother, and that I should put him in his crib, and walk away until I could calm down. I asked if I could just show up anyway, without an appointment; she said they would refuse to see me.  I asked if I could just go to the ER (back then, you needed a referral from your doctor to be seen at the ER).  She said no, and that I would be responsible for paying cash if I went to the ER; it wouldn't be covered by insurance, since I'd be going AMA (though she never talked to the pediatrician, nor would she let me do so).

After over close to 4 hours, he finally stopped.  It took several days for him to get back to normal; he was very lethargic after that.  When we went to his well-child visit the following month, the pediatrician said that, yes, it was a vaccine reaction, and needed to be reported. He sent us to a neurologist, who diagnosed it as a vaccine-induced seizure.

And the nurse was fired.

When my second child was born, the pediatrician agreed that we should wait a month or so before starting vaccines, since baby #1 had had such a bad reaction.  But the nurses vaccinated him while I was in the shower, without my knowledge or consent.

He didn't have a reaction to the birth shot, but did have a severe reaction to his 4-month shots.  He broke out into a severe oozing, blistering red rash, that was all over his body, heavier on his trunk,.  The ped sent us to a dermatologist, who diagnosed a drug reaction from the vaccine.  At that point, he was not eating--he was only getting my milk; the pediatrician said to keep him on nothing but my milk til the rash went away. He also suggested that I eliminate the most common food allergens from my diet, just in case, so I did.  Even so, the rash didn't even start to fade for at least another 6 months. It never responded to any of the prescription steroid creams that were prescribed (though they did make my fingertips numb).

My 3rd child (whom I wouldn't let out of my arms until we went home, because I was so afraid that they'd vaccinate her) was what the pediatrician called "somnolent" after her 6-month vaccines, and what I call "unconscious."  She didn't open her eyes for nearly 3 days.  I could not wake her. That pediatrician wasn't worried, but another in the same group was, and said it was a neurological reaction to the vaccines, and not a good one.  We went one vaccine at a time after that, and eventually the pediatrician, after doing some research, said that we should just stop; he didn't want to see another major reaction on his watch.

This was the same pediatrician who had initially told us that reactions were vanishingly rare, that they only happened in developing countries with malnourished children living in filth.  He had thought that the first reaction was a fluke, and the second even flukier, but after a while, he got wise.

We know so many families who have before-and-after videos of their children, of the day before vaccination and the day after.  Usually, it's the day before the 12-month vaccines, because so many parents take a lot of video footage around the 1-year-mark.  And in those videos, you see, glaringly obvious, a happy, cheerful, responsive baby, giggling and talking and teasing back-and-forth with his parents--and in the day after  video, you see a baby too sick to respond, and in that and subsequent videos, you see an unresponsive child spinning, flapping, toe-walking, and sometimes screaming in pain,, or rocking in the corner, ignoring or oblivious to everyone around him.

I've read the studies.

Not just the newspaper descriptions of the studies, and not even just the abstracts.  I've read the studies from start to finish, and I've crunched the numbers, and I've compared the parameters of the study group and the control group.

The studies are crap.  On both sides of the issues.
On the pro-vax side, they are set up to guarantee an outcome of "no, of course vaccines don't cause (autism) (developmental delay) (neurological impairment) ( a face with 3 noses)."   It is VERY easy to set up a study so that the outcome is whatever you want it to be.  For example, if I took two groups of fully-vaccinated children, who happened to receive slightly different vaccines (one group receiving vaccines that contained a higher number of antigens), and made sure that both groups contained similar numbers of kids with features of autism, but only one group had official autism diagnoses, what would it prove when I find out that outcomes were similar for both groups?

You're right.  Absolutely nothing.

But that's what the latest study does.

Meanwhile, many of the studies "proving" that vaccines do cause autism are crap, because they really don't prove it.  Usually, the sample size is too small.  They do strongly indicate a link--no problem there.  But too many vaccine critics are trying to say that those studies prove vaccines=autism, open and shut case.   On the other hand, the government and the pharmaceutical companies try to pretend that those studies showing strong links just ...don't exist.  And they do.

I've found that most of the people I know who don't vaccinate at all made that choice because they know someone who had a vaccine reaction--someone in their family, someone they work with, a friend, or a neighbor.

But don't forget that there are probably even more of us who DID vaccinate, completely on schedule--and were forced to stop when our children had severe reactions--reactions, like mine, which went unrecognized and unreported.

Since you are not a parent, you probably don't know that, when we take Baby in for vaccines, the nurse is supposed to give us a form to sign, saying that we were given information on vaccine risks (informed consent form).  And they're supposed to give us that information.

I still have the ones I was given.  They say, "reactions may include redness and swelling at the injection site, soreness, fever, and irritability."

That's IT.  Not one word about seizures, rashes, neurological problems, autoimmune problems, or anything else.  Oh, those all appear on the package insert.  But the doctor doesn't give you the package insert.

One more thing.   If you don't vaccinate, you risk complications from the diseases--but as someone old enough to remember  some of these diseases, I can tell you that mumps, measles, and chicken pox are, for the vast majority of children, NO BIG DEAL.

Look them up.  they were considered a rite of passage.  You stayed home from school for a week, you were uncomfortable, or even miserable, but you got to watch TV, and you got over it.  Now they're painted as horrible, deadly diseases that must be avoided at all costs.  

Now, you could make the same argument about vaccines;  the vast majority of people who get them do not die, do not get instant brain damage.  But we're learning that there are other problems that take a long time to surface, like autoimmune diseases and developmental disorders, and we don't yet know enough about how they are triggered, and who is at risk.

Well, I must say, you picked one heckuva topic.  I hope you get an A in your class--and I hope you come away from this website with a desire to question EVERYTHING.

Good luck.

applejuice and Chicharronita like this.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page