Upworthy post and vaccine-research burn out. . . - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 04-21-2014, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been avoiding vaccine news lately b/c I've been so discouraged by all the pro-vax propaganda that seems to have reached a fever-pitch. It is the same old story every time and I'm so SICK of every single vaccine article mentioning Jenny McCarthy!  It is crazy!  There are lots of anti-vax people out there, this obsession with her is just inexplicable.  The journalism is BAAAD.  It is like they run out of things to say and need space, so fill in with Jenny.  (And, I wonder if Offit and Doris might be a teeensy bit jealous that she is so much more well known than them. ;))

Is it because I pay more attention now, or has it always been like this????

Anyway, I stumbled across an Upworthy post (https://www.facebook.com/Upworthy/posts/74886389848780), apparently super pro-vax and all propaganda (didn't actually read the post. . . don't have the stomach for that cr*p anymore.)  BUT, I did skim through the comments and they were OVERWHELMINGLY against the Upworthy piece.  Off the cuff, I'd estimate 20:1. That was encouraging. 

So, as more people come out questioning vaccines, the tighter the grip the CDC, FDC, and Pharma try to get on us.  I'm hopeful when I read comments like in that link, but at the same time, scared for what is coming next. . .

bftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif  novaxnoIRC.gifmom to 1 DD (4/13) luxlove.gif

#2 of 18 Old 04-22-2014, 12:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Link isn't working.

kathymuggle likes this.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#3 of 18 Old 04-22-2014, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)

"Page not found."

I did google "unworthy vaccines," and found several rather pathetic attempts to market the joys of vaccines, but not place to read or leave comments.

applejuice likes this.
#4 of 18 Old 04-22-2014, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Ack, I'm having trouble finding it now.  Will try later.  It is Upworthy, no unworthy.  Upworthy is supposed to be a site that promotes inspirational type stories.

applejuice likes this.

bftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif  novaxnoIRC.gifmom to 1 DD (4/13) luxlove.gif

#5 of 18 Old 04-22-2014, 07:22 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Songy View Post

I've been avoiding vaccine news lately b/c I've been so discouraged by all the pro-vax propaganda that seems to have reached a fever-pitch. It is the same old story every time and I'm so SICK of every single vaccine article mentioning Jenny McCarthy!  It is crazy!  There are lots of anti-vax people out there, this obsession with her is just inexplicable.  The journalism is BAAAD.  It is like they run out of things to say and need space, so fill in with Jenny.  (And, I wonder if Offit and Doris might be a teeensy bit jealous that she is so much more well known than them. ;))

Is it because I pay more attention now, or has it always been like this????

Anyway, I stumbled across an Upworthy post (https://www.facebook.com/Upworthy/posts/74886389848780), apparently super pro-vax and all propaganda (didn't actually read the post. . . don't have the stomach for that cr*p anymore.)  BUT, I did skim through the comments and they were OVERWHELMINGLY against the Upworthy piece.  Off the cuff, I'd estimate 20:1. That was encouraging. 

So, as more people come out questioning vaccines, the tighter the grip the CDC, FDC, and Pharma try to get on us.  I'm hopeful when I read comments like in that link, but at the same time, scared for what is coming next. . .

how do you generally look at things? are you have FULL or half empty?

there are lots of "BRIGHT" spots IMO on the not vaccine/choice side

and some out right sign of MAJOR desperadoism clearly being shown  the PRO side

When you hear people talking about other issue and saying they never thought they would see X happen in their lifetime - it does give hope! :bgbounce 

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#6 of 18 Old 04-22-2014, 07:33 AM

The media is really showing things and that is encouraging too!

Those who are vaccinated are getting what they were vac for - information is getting out - every little bit helps and it does raise awareness of why people are questioning things - each time I read a story I DO see comments from those in the medical community that are starting to speak out and say they will no longer vaccinated!

The PRO side pushing FEAR did get media coverage and it's not going over well at all.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/18/can-you-catch-mumps-if-youre-vaccinated_n_5174325.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/11/measles-outbreak-vaccinated-patient_n_5134880.html

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/fully-vaccinated-woman-contracted-and-then-spread-measles-180951114/?no-ist

mainstream media is waking up to the fact others are not vaccinating, bringing that out will help others IMO learn what some of the reasons are, and real life meeting people and find personal stories is always a PLUS- IMO!

ETA- forgot to add this link - http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014/04/18/304155213/why-mumps-and-measles-can-spread-even-when-were-vaccinated

brining up information be in a local post on a local paper, etc, you do see really only a few different types of comments, but when you compare it to even a few years ago, IMO I do see a turn in perspective and just coming out with the same repeated fear/hate isn't selling like it once did

applejuice and BeckyBird like this.

&

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#7 of 18 Old 04-22-2014, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)

I have become soured on Upworthy after seeing posts that are clearly an attempt to light a fire.  

Just saw this TMR posts in my Facebook feed and I'm not sure this has been posted already but I agree with this premise that we need to stop delivering the results they are looking for (money) by clicking on these sites and commenting on their asinine articles.

Part 1

http://thinkingmomsrevolution.com/stand-refuse-counted/

Part 2

http://thinkingmomsrevolution.com/disengage/

applejuice and serenbat like this.

"Practically every food you buy in a store for consumption by humans is genetically modified food"
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Astrophysicist/GMO defender
#8 of 18 Old 04-22-2014, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Oh, you have no idea. Motley Fool and The Weather Channel have both gotten in on the great mass media Hate Game. I won't link to their sites. But really, is everyone now a vaccine policy expert? I'm thinking these sites should stick to 401Ks and hurricanes, respectively.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#9 of 18 Old 04-22-2014, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by samaxtics View Post

I have become soured on Upworthy after seeing posts that are clearly an attempt to light a fire.  

Just saw this TMR posts in my Facebook feed and I'm not sure this has been posted already but I agree with this premise that we need to stop delivering the results they are looking for (money) by clicking on these sites and commenting on their asinine articles.

Part 1

Part 2

I will read those articles when I have a moment (I love TMR!) but I am undecided where I stand.

On one hand I have no desire to click and thus support, but on the other hand, I want to "know thy enenmy."

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#10 of 18 Old 04-22-2014, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Part 1

Part 2

I read these links and it makes sense.  I only read a very small percentage of what comes through, but it seems like it is more and more prevalent.
I never really thought about the fact that clicking on the link is a revenue source. . . I vote with my dollar at the grocery store, so maybe I need to do that more in cyberspace. . .

applejuice likes this.

#11 of 18 Old 04-22-2014, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Generally, I'm optimistic - glass half full!

Lately, though, I'm getting discouraged.  The sheer number of alarming things in this world: vaccines, GMOs, fracking, pollution, overuse of resources, high rate of c-sections, massive health problems, education, etc.  The problems are HUGE.  I used to think it was just a matter of educating people and getting the word out, but the corruption is so insidious.  Now, it is about uncovering the hidden truth, going up against the uber rich and powerful - who are becoming more rich and powerful at every turn. It often seems hopeless and I think we are hurtling towards disaster.

#12 of 18 Old 04-22-2014, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Here is the link to the Upworth piece. I had trouble finding it b/c the image on their site is different than the one used on FB.  Also, I'm now realizing that all the comments were inside FB, not on Upworthy, so it is probably useless to everyone anyway.  Sorry!

applejuice likes this.

#13 of 18 Old 04-22-2014, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

where?

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#14 of 18 Old 04-22-2014, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, good heavens, I'm a mess!  So sorry!

http://www.upworthy.com/that-one-time-a-cartoon-punched-fake-science-in-the-face-with-actual-facts

applejuice likes this.

#15 of 18 Old 04-22-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:

Lately, though, I'm getting discouraged.  The sheer number of alarming things in this world: vaccines, GMOs, fracking, pollution, overuse of resources, high rate of c-sections, massive health problems, education, etc.  The problems are HUGE.  I used to think it was just a matter of educating people and getting the word out, but the corruption is so insidious.  Now, it is about uncovering the hidden truth, going up against the uber rich and powerful - who are becoming more rich and powerful at every turn. It often seems hopeless and I think we are hurtling towards disaster.-------and the clouds DO eventually part and there are bits of sunshine and.......  sometimes eve a :Rainbow

You know if you lump it all in with all the other BAD stuff it makes an awful cocktail but considering there are those in the world that have all these issue PLUS more, your glass might still remain half flu! 

samaxtics's links are good one!

applejuice likes this.

&

#16 of 18 Old 04-22-2014, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

I will read those articles when I have a moment (I love TMR!) but I am undecided where I stand.

On one hand I have no desire to click and thus support, but on the other hand, I want to "know thy enenmy."

I totally get that.

I used to think that by contributing some facts/counter arguments it helps to show that the fears are actually reasonable.

I think the rabid pushers are actually few in number, they just have a lot of personas. wink wink

It's a lot of energy spent on negativity.  And the old adage of "don't wrestle with pigs, because you get dirty and the pigs like it" applies to most of those encounters.

I love a debate but those types aren't debating; they are just lashing out, doing their job protecting their vested interests.

I think it is more productive to share things that point out the dangers via social media and it is a very much a David compared to the money Goliath has to spend to spin their message.

Sites like Forbes, Mother Jones etc rely on those clicks to prove their relevance to their advertisers otherwise they would be gone pretty fast. (Just check out how low the number of Twitter followers they have). You can usually get the gist of what was said in their articles by reading other blogs.  

applejuice and BeckyBird like this.

"Practically every food you buy in a store for consumption by humans is genetically modified food"
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Astrophysicist/GMO defender
#17 of 18 Old 04-22-2014, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:

Lately, though, I'm getting discouraged.  The sheer number of alarming things in this world: vaccines, GMOs, fracking, pollution, overuse of resources, high rate of c-sections, massive health problems, education, etc.  The problems are HUGE.  I used to think it was just a matter of educating people and getting the word out, but the corruption is so insidious.  Now, it is about uncovering the hidden truth, going up against the uber rich and powerful - who are becoming more rich and powerful at every turn. It often seems hopeless and I think we are hurtling towards disaster.

I totally agree!! It's as if the entire system, at the highest possible levels, are corrupt. They do not exist to serve and assist humanity; they profit off of us. Like human livestock.  People assume that our leaders' leaders have only the best intentions for humanity, but I believe this is a completely false assumption. They are self-serving at our expense. 

It is depressing, especially when you realize that humanity has operated this way all along. I do have high hopes for a change though, and it would be great if this change could happen in our lifetime! Until then, keep up the hard work, because it's up to you and only you to make the change in your own life. Learn how to be as healthy as possible. Turn away from the bad food, pesticides, medications and procedures (only when necessary), etc. There is hope! 

applejuice likes this.

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

#18 of 18 Old 04-24-2014, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Quote:

Part 1

Part 2

I did read those links.  I am not 100% sold on not clicking on links  - as I think knowing you opponent is important.

I do think minimising clicks may be the way to go for myself.  Instead of clicking back and forth, I might try and read it once and minimise repeat clicks.  I rarely comment on news articles, but if I did, I think one well crafted reply is far better than a lot of train-wreck type back and forth.

I also think that on MDC we may be able to able to avoid clicking if we carefully paraphrase and quote.  ICM said the other day that we might be allowed 200 word quotes - I had thought it was 100.  I will rejoice if it is 200,  that is a far better number in terms of adequately portraying points.  I am going to flag this post to get a mods attention, so they can clarify the quote situation.

While I am not sure I would do it, we can always refuse to link an article if we feel strongly enough it is awful.  Sure people can find it on their own - but they will have to go look, and many won't bother.  

applejuice and samaxtics like this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page