Are Tetanus Spores in All Horse Manure? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-29-2014, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I tried looking it up, and really didn't find a concrete answer...a farmer friend has offered horse manure for fertilizer today, and it got me thinking about of course, tetanus spores...do i want manure that has potential spores in it?  I'd rather have cow manure, tho...but that wasn't offered. 

#2 of 7 Old 04-29-2014, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Not all horses carry tetanus. People have been using horse manure in their gardens for practically eons. I really wouldn't worry about it too much, though the risk seems to lessen w/composting for 90+ days. Tetanus can't survive anywhere there is oxygen & no moisture so aerating the manure/compost by turning it and letting it dry out are good strategies for killing any of the bacteria that might be there. And really ANY livestock manure can have tetanus in it...so you basically don't worry about it OR you get a tetanus booster or both :thumb
Happy gardening!!

emmy526 likes this.

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#3 of 7 Old 04-30-2014, 04:49 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)

Thanks!

Things you do not know you need till you see them….

I have a friend who is going to give me horse manure for the garden, and I had not even thought of tetanus. 

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#4 of 7 Old 04-30-2014, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prescottchels View Post

Not all horses carry tetanus. People have been using horse manure in their gardens for practically eons. I really wouldn't worry about it too much, though the risk seems to lessen w/composting for 90+ days. Tetanus can't survive anywhere there is oxygen & no moisture so aerating the manure/compost by turning it and letting it dry out are good strategies for killing any of the bacteria that might be there. And really ANY livestock manure can have tetanus in it...so you basically don't worry about it OR you get a tetanus booster or both :thumb
Happy gardening!!

Thank you!!  I think i'll pass on the manure, as i cannot be composting/turning soil at this time due to a bad back.  

#5 of 7 Old 04-30-2014, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sop

Quote:
Originally Posted by prescottchels View Post

Happy gardening!!

Sorry, but this is incorrect information and really dangerous.  Tetanus spores are very resistant are are ubiquitous in the environment.  The spores can survive heat and plenty of exposure to oxygen.  It's the bacteria which is anaerobic- there's a big difference.

#6 of 7 Old 04-30-2014, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chknlovr View Post

Sorry, but this is incorrect information and really dangerous.  Tetanus spores are very resistant are are ubiquitous in the environment.  The spores can survive heat and plenty of exposure to oxygen.  It's the bacteria which is anaerobic- there's a big difference.

Good point on the difference between spores and bacteria.  None-the-less, the  spores themselves cannot be very scary if they are ubiquitous as Tetanus is pretty rare, and not because of vaccination levels.  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#7 of 7 Old 04-30-2014, 06:18 AM

A blast from the past on horses and tetanus...

This is timely, my youngest and I have recently started grooming horses (the same place we will get the horse manure from).

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/718292/we-are-getting-a-horse-talk-to-me-about-tetnus

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page