Apparently educated, not scared of pictures or "outbreaks" either! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-06-2014, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)

Warring this is from Philly so Paul Offit is talking here.

http://www.philly.com/philly/health/HealthDay687433_20140505_Disease_Outbreaks_May_Not_Change_Minds_of_Vaccine_Opponents.html

Wolf added that one conventionally held belief is that when the risk of disease is high, acceptance of a vaccine increases if it's effective at preventing the disease. "Our study challenges this assumption that vaccine acceptance uniformly increases when risk of disease is high," she said.

"It is unclear why there was no significant increase in vaccination during the epidemic," she said. "We don't know if parents' fear of adverse events still outweighed the fear of disease, even in the face of the epidemic."

Sassyfirechick  also made this post and with the other report that came out a little while ago, apparently even scary pictures don't do it either for us!

http://business.financialpost.com/2014/04/16/lawrence-solomon-the-untold-story-of-measles/

Quote:
According to a survey in Pediatrics, unvaccinated children in the U.S. have a mother who is at least 30 years old, who has at least one college degree and whose household has an annual income of at least $75,000. In the absence of studies showing vaccinated children to be healthier than those unvaccinated, the parents in these educated households have determined that the numbers argue against vaccination.

So in the US at least, NVers are not typically uninformed.

I keep see it said on PRO vaccine things that "they will vaccinated when diseases come back" but that doesn't seem to be the case.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#2 of 8 Old 05-06-2014, 05:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Or maybe it's because some parents are wising up, and not swallowing the bs spewed...maybe those educated parents really do know what's best for their kids, rather than some paid off white coat who thinks that parents who don't vaccinate are evil.    Striclty from online talking to parents, most parents are not swayed by the outbreak of anything to rush out to vaccinate against it...if anything, the attitude is one of confidence is being able to treat it effectively at home, and disdain for an md's opinion, who is just going to harp about vaccinating anyways, so why bother going to an md?  

It seems like sheer insanity lately....the message media seems to be putting forth:  Go get some useless vaccine, even tho the outbreak isn't being stopped by vaccinating with a useless vaccine'...'when in doubt, get more vaccine to everyone'   

Occaisionally, i do see the story from the fearful mom who's child isnt' vaxed...and the fear stemmed from, mainstream media fearmongering and horror stories meant to tug at heartstrings of mothers.  

#3 of 8 Old 05-06-2014, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmy526 View Post

Or maybe it's because some parents are wising up, and not swallowing the bs spewed...maybe those educated parents really do know what's best for their kids, rather than some paid off white coat who thinks that parents who don't vaccinate are evil.    Striclty from online talking to parents, most parents are not swayed by the outbreak of anything to rush out to vaccinate against it...if anything, the attitude is one of confidence is being able to treat it effectively at home, and disdain for an md's opinion, who is just going to harp about vaccinating anyways, so why bother going to an md?  

It seems like sheer insanity lately....the message media seems to be putting forth:  Go get some useless vaccine, even tho the outbreak isn't being stopped by vaccinating with a useless vaccine'...'when in doubt, get more vaccine to everyone'   

Occaisionally, i do see the story from the fearful mom who's child isnt' vaxed...and the fear stemmed from, mainstream media fearmongering and horror stories meant to tug at heartstrings of mothers.  

I agree 100%!

Even trying to question it you are faced with such a backlash, I can't grasp why the PRO vaccine side is so unaware or what ever the term is, that people are not buying it?

Each news story is the same thing old thing for the most part, scare, fear, etc yet none of it is working. I'm wondering how opposite it really is? Considering the other study on showing images and now this one, I'm assuming this is not just some short term research but "they" have known for quite some time things are not persuading parents. More should come out after the conference where this is being presented. What will be next??? Keep trotting out a law professor dishing medical advise and more celebs being thrown under the bus?

Seems like a cold war type mentality just recycled for a new generation in hopes they know little of past propaganda usage. oh, well! 

Mirzam, rachelsmama and emmy526 like this.

&

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#4 of 8 Old 05-06-2014, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)

As I've said in another thread, vaccines look great until there is an outbreak.

So when you see the vaccinated getting the disease they were vaccinated for, one has to ask why take the risks of the vaccine then?  

In some jobs there is more flexibility in allowing time off for caring for a sick child or being able to work from home.  Some employers even allow employees to donate their sick days to colleagues to allow them to care for sick family members.  

"Practically every food you buy in a store for consumption by humans is genetically modified food"
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Astrophysicist/GMO defender
#5 of 8 Old 05-06-2014, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
So when you see the vaccinated getting the disease they were vaccinated for, one has to ask why take the risks of the vaccine then?  

Especially when we are being told that somehow an unvaccinated person's immune system has the capability of overriding the vaccine in another person, thus making it null and void if said vaxxed person is around too many of us.

Or that two vaccinated people sitting in too close of proximity to each other override the vaccine in each other.

Or that despite the vaccine being "very effective", upwards of 95% (mmr), that if even *1* person in the group is unvaccinated, then the whole group is at risk for disease.

#6 of 8 Old 05-06-2014, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by samaxtics View Post

In some jobs there is more flexibility in allowing time off for caring for a sick child or being able to work from home.  Some employers even allow employees to donate their sick days to colleagues to allow them to care for sick family members.  

The bolded is important to me.  I left a very well paying full time job following my maternity leave because they were not nearly as flexible in my pregnancy as I would have liked and it was a picture of things to come post baby.  I worked on the road all over my state and into the neighboring one as well, so logistically trying to pump for anywhere from an 8-12 hour day in a car was just not happening never mind the late fees for daycare.  So while our budget is extremely tight and DH has basically assumed all of the household bills (I work p/t to pay my studnet loans and credit cards debt that still remains), the stress of working and worrying would have been far greater for me than the stress of money now. I sorta figure the bills will always be there to some degree and my worrying does nothing to pay them!  When taking on this p/t job the first thing that came up was the question of pumping - I only work 4 hours a day but am away from the house for 5 hours, DD was 6mos old, so I needed to pump once halfway through my workday.  They initially offered up the bathroom...I declined :wink  I said I needed a room with an outlet and a locking door, they finally scrambled up an open office space and I used it for about 4mos at which point I wasn't able to pump much and DD was ok waiting for me to get home.  Doc visits have always been flexible - I don't get paid vacation (but I do accrue sick time) so any time I take is unpaid, but the option they've given me is that I can bank time.  I can't submit more than 19.5 hours a week so anything extra I bank and use for holidays or other days I need off.  Not many places would offer that option, but it certainly is a plus that keeps me here!  

I understand people have bills to pay and not everyone can just up and leave their job or stay home on one income, but I've pretty much made the decision that I would rather be dirt poor living with my family and enjoying that time, and spend the money we do have to be healthy, than to just go with what "everyone else" is doing.  I lump that into making an educated decision on how to live my life!

Chicharronita and serenbat like this.
#7 of 8 Old 05-06-2014, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfirechick View Post

The bolded is important to me.  I left a very well paying full time job following my maternity leave because they were not nearly as flexible in my pregnancy as I would have liked and it was a picture of things to come post baby.  I worked on the road all over my state and into the neighboring one as well, so logistically trying to pump for anywhere from an 8-12 hour day in a car was just not happening never mind the late fees for daycare.  So while our budget is extremely tight and DH has basically assumed all of the household bills (I work p/t to pay my studnet loans and credit cards debt that still remains), the stress of working and worrying would have been far greater for me than the stress of money now. I sorta figure the bills will always be there to some degree and my worrying does nothing to pay them!  When taking on this p/t job the first thing that came up was the question of pumping - I only work 4 hours a day but am away from the house for 5 hours, DD was 6mos old, so I needed to pump once halfway through my workday.  They initially offered up the bathroom...I declined :wink  I said I needed a room with an outlet and a locking door, they finally scrambled up an open office space and I used it for about 4mos at which point I wasn't able to pump much and DD was ok waiting for me to get home.  Doc visits have always been flexible - I don't get paid vacation (but I do accrue sick time) so any time I take is unpaid, but the option they've given me is that I can bank time.  I can't submit more than 19.5 hours a week so anything extra I bank and use for holidays or other days I need off.  Not many places would offer that option, but it certainly is a plus that keeps me here!  

I understand people have bills to pay and not everyone can just up and leave their job or stay home on one income, but I've pretty much made the decision that I would rather be dirt poor living with my family and enjoying that time, and spend the money we do have to be healthy, than to just go with what "everyone else" is doing.  I lump that into making an educated decision on how to live my life!

Isn't it odd how "back in the day" companies DID understand when a parent needed to stay home with a child who was ill. Now we don't care about the worker or their child, the further worker!

sassyfirechick likes this.

&

#8 of 8 Old 05-06-2014, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaxtics View Post

this hit's it on the nail for me and others too! 

&

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page