I was told to ask the "older" generation about vaccines, so I did ... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 05-06-2014, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

A hundred years and the OTHER vaccine perspective ...

http://www.livingwhole.org/i-was-told-to-ask-the-older-generation-about-vaccines-so-i-did/

Quote:
 If you’re young, and you don’t support vaccines, you’ve probably been told at least a few dozen times that the reason you don’t vaccinate is because you’ve had the luxury of living in a time where “vaccine preventable diseases” aren’t prevalent. Just ask a grandparent or someone who had polio and they’ll tell you the story of how vaccines saved the day and just how devastating measles and chicken pox really were. Their testimonies are valid…unless of course you actually have a grandparent whose lived an entire century and can tell you how things really were, or you have a friend who had polio and doesn’t support the polio vaccine. Their testimonies don’t count. 

I like her perspective on the better diagnosing of autism and crohn's disease.  "better diagnosing"?  NO WAY!

sassyfirechick likes this.
#2 of 18 Old 05-06-2014, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

So sad to think that generation won't last forever!  I've had a few 99-ers in my fam but no one has broken 100, and no living grandparents at this point to give it a run.

applejuice likes this.
#3 of 18 Old 05-06-2014, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

My great-grandfather lived to 107. Don't know about vaxx status but he worked the farm until his early 90's and outlived 3 of his children.

#4 of 18 Old 05-06-2014, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

My grandparents are long gone, but they were against vaccines. MY maternal grandmother was an RN and PhT.  She was against vaccines because of the problems she saw in her nephews. 

#5 of 18 Old 05-06-2014, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

I get people telling me that I do not recall polio, and I do.

I am called a liar when I say the old diseases were not as bad as they are claimed to be. 

I remember polio, but also rheumatic and scarlet fever, diseases that have virtually disappeared, without a vaccine.

aggie pop likes this.
#6 of 18 Old 05-07-2014, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)

I asked my mom about vaccines a few moths ago.  I know I was vaxxed fully for my time - which was for 7 diseases  (DPT, MMR and Polio).

My mom says she likes some vaccines - that we lost a great aunt  to mealses (note: great aunt probably was quite poor, this would have been the 1930's or earlier, and the baby was around 1 yr old).  She thinks vaccines for things like mumps, german mealses and chicken pox are stupid.  

She herself does get the flu vaccines - because she does not want the flu and thinks some protection is better than none.  She is an adult though and knows her body.  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#7 of 18 Old 05-07-2014, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

When my children were little in the early 80s, their contemporaries were always kind of sick after they got their vaccines for a day or so. The moms could never recall which vaccines the children got, so there was no connection. This was before the Congressional Vaccine Law passed, and few moms were even aware of the legislation. 

I lost my father's oldest brother to a smallpox reaction.  He was a sickly kind of person. That is not a good reason to kill him.

I was told on a mainstream discussion forum that "You think you lost an uncle to a smallpox reaction". Nice how someone who is not in my family nor was there would know what my uncle died from.  The fact is, the doctor put it on the death certificate and told my grandmother that he died from the shot.  

And I had a friend who wore a leg brace in the year ahead of me in school. I had a teacher whose husband had a limp from having polio in the 1940s.  I worked with a teacher who had a useless left arm from polio; she had polio in 1948 at the age of 8 months  and was found in her crib paralyzed - I sometimes wonder about diagnoses in the past, but they are all we have. 

#8 of 18 Old 05-07-2014, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

In my family, my paternal grandfather lived to 70 and died of a stroke; he was a chewer.

My paternal grandmother died from a long case of cancer at the age of 86.

My maternal grandfather lived to 74 and died from cancer. She was a nurse.

My paternal grandfather lived to 70 and died from complications of diabetes. 

They all opposed vaccination. 

My children's grandparents - paternal grandfather died of artreiosclerosis  age 86.

Paternal grandmother died of cancer age 64 - she smoked and drank. 

Maternal grandfather died of cancer aged 86.

Maternal grandmother is 80.

My children's father died from disease from his years in the military at the age of 64.

aggie pop likes this.
#9 of 18 Old 05-07-2014, 09:50 AM

Maternal grandmother: 75, pancreatic cancer and untreated diabetes (no one knows how long for either as she went 30+ yrs without any medical care for whatever reason)

Maternal grandfather: 79, hospital contracted infection following *routine* heart bypass surgery that was recommended (although he experienced no ill effects leading up to it) and 6mos in the hospital

-------We're told he was one of 18 children, one brother lived to 80 and one sister remains alive up in Maine likely in her late 90's

Paternal grandmother: 60's, lung cancer, heavy chain smoker

Paternal grandfather: 81, heart attack/stroke, also diagnosed with Alzheimer's shortly prior to his death - survived tuberculosis in childhood

Maternal Great-grandmother: 86

-------her two sisters lived to the ages of 98 and 99

#10 of 18 Old 05-07-2014, 09:51 AM

Majority of these relatives were born in Canada or ME, all lived on farms, very poor families.

#11 of 18 Old 05-07-2014, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post

I get people telling me that I do not recall polio, and I do.

I am called a liar when I say the old diseases were not as bad as they are claimed to be. 

I remember polio, but also rheumatic and scarlet fever, diseases that have virtually disappeared, without a vaccine.

I know 2 people in my town who have had polio. They are not paralyzed but one has a skinny leg and the other one is very skinny altogether. They are both in their 50s now. Not sure if they had the vaccine back then or not.

Scarlet fever goes around here a lot esp in Kindergarten. It is treated with antibiotics right away usually.

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
―Socrates

#12 of 18 Old 05-07-2014, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

The salk vaccine was introduced in 1954 - so people 60 and younger would probably have had it - not me!

The sabin vaccine was introduced in 1962 - so people 52 and younger would have been available to it... not me!

#13 of 18 Old 05-07-2014, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Applejuice, were you lucky enough to have never had a vaccine?

My grandparents were skeptical of them and wouldn't comment to their children getting them at school, much to the chagrin of their classmates, who were promised ice cream parties if everyone in the class got their parents to sign permission.

Unfortunately, my family is full of doctors, so nobody questioned anything for me.
#14 of 18 Old 05-08-2014, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

no, none.

aggie pop likes this.
#15 of 18 Old 05-08-2014, 06:29 PM

My Grandparents: GD died at 95. He was a PCP and very pro vaccine. GM still alive (94) but she refused all vaccines except polio! Caused a stir in their marriage smile.gif

However they both lived long into their 90s regardless of vaccine status.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#16 of 18 Old 05-12-2014, 10:39 AM

I was born in 1948,  Other than the DPT vac, these vacs were not around when I was born.  I had measles when I was 6 months old.  A month later got chicken pox.  I suppose I should be dead or at the very least severely impaired by getting them as an infant.  My Mom, who could have passed her natural immunity on to me, did not breastfeed me.  Hmmmm.

I had Mumps when I was a year old.  Don't remember that either.  Rubella and Scarle Fevert as a young child.  Horrible, horrible, right?  Nope.  Nearly died?  Nope. It was not pleasant, but I would certainly refute anyone who said I didn't know what I was talking about.  I grew up in NYC.  Did I know or see other chidlren dying from these diseases?  Nope.  Think about that one.  I was around millions of adults and children growing up.  Did not know any children who were hospitalized from measles like today.  Maybe because in those days about bodies weren't bombarded with all these vacs and pills?  We had better immune systems back then.

My family?  I can go back in time to my great-grandma who was born in the 1860s.  She got no vaccines, or ever went to a doctor.  She died in 1954  at the age of 95 by being run over by a NYC taxi while crossing the street. 

BTW, I against vacs for MYSELF.  Granny must get all her vacs too or she will die.  If you don't get your kids vaccinated, you are going to kill GRANNY too.  Spare me, and stop trying to USE ME for your "sheep" immunity BS.

#17 of 18 Old 05-12-2014, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Joanne H., thank you for your post.  I agree with everything you have said.  Unfortunately, to the mainstream media, your correct recollections are known as anecdotal evidence.  In my estimation, that is just as valid because what is a scientific study but a careful collection of scrutinized, crunched, and filtered anecdotes funneled into various categories and interpreted, published and reviewed?

So, to me, your anecdotal evidence is very fine raw data.

Thank you.

Mirzam and aggie pop like this.
#18 of 18 Old 05-12-2014, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne Hublitz View Post

BTW, I against vacs for MYSELF.  Granny must get all her vacs too or she will die.  If you don't get your kids vaccinated, you are going to kill GRANNY too.  Spare me, and stop trying to USE ME for your "sheep" immunity BS.

I agree.

If someone wants to vaccinate - then they should vaccinate.  Own the decision and the choice.  Do not claim you are doing it for another person or group.  There are a lot of people in that group (including, for a long time, me) who would never want or expect you to risk your child for someone else's benefit.  

applejuice likes this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page