Vit K: Oral or None....How do you decide? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-06-2014, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I wanted to say first off we are not considering the shot at all for my little girl due in August. BUT, Im really torn ( after hours and hours of research) to either do the Oral Drops from ( Birthwithlove.com) or just forgo the it all together. 

Im giving birth in a traditional hospital ( and in the past gave me the stink eye when I refused HEP B & eye ointment with both my other girlies ) so Im sure they will have something to say when I decline all three of them & my OB is not supportive of any of these things so I'm going this "alone" so to speak and just nervous. I wanted to added to, both my girls had the VIT K shot and my last one got Jaundice for no apparent reason and I swear up and down it was the VIT K shot. She had a very easy labor and delivery. 

I have had a healthy pregnancy ( no issues or anything, my last 2 pregnancy was negative for STREP B ) I do have a negative blood type and get the rogam shot ( now re thinking that one ) ANYWAY. Unless I have a traumatic birth, not considering the shot.

I will be exclusively BFing & have considered taking an alfalfa supp to help boost my VIT K levels even though I have read that doesn't "work"......so how does one go about figuring out wether to do the drops or not :-( Im so confused and hoping someone has been in my same shoes and can share their story. 

joy.gifWife since Sept. 06, dishes.gif Stay at Home Mom to: dust.gifShelby Feb 2010 SILVER (.)(.), energy.gifKendall May 2012 GOLD (.)(.) & belly.gifBaby Girl #3 Due in August 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2014, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/03/27/high-risks-to-your-baby-from-vitamin-k-shot-they-dont-warn-you-about.aspx
Maybe some of the references can be found.
What a hard decision.
Best
Old 05-06-2014, 11:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I don't believe the vitamin K should be a "one size fits all" intervention for every baby. If there is a traumatic birth, perhaps it should be considered. It's necessary if the baby will be circumcised before 8 days old. If it is a normal birth, I think that the risks outweigh the benefits, for both oral and the shot. The oral is preferable to the shot, but letting your baby have the amount of vitamin K in his or her body that nature intended, is best. Nature did not make a mistake on every baby ever born in the world. There is a reason babies have low levels of vitamin K at birth. The reason that makes a lot of sense is that it is to keep the blood thin so that stem cells can move to where they need to be.

http://www.beyondconformity.org.nz/hilarys-desk/on-placentas-stem-cells-and-breastmilk

Old 05-07-2014, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for replying! loving all the resources!

joy.gifWife since Sept. 06, dishes.gif Stay at Home Mom to: dust.gifShelby Feb 2010 SILVER (.)(.), energy.gifKendall May 2012 GOLD (.)(.) & belly.gifBaby Girl #3 Due in August 2014
Old 05-07-2014, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I am debating the same question here with myself. They don't do Vit K shots here in Germany but the oral version. I was considering the daily oral version with a very low amount of Vit K or none - depending on the birth itself. I suspect the jaundice of my DDs were made more severe by the oral Vit K. What ever it will be, it is going to be a tough decision. When is your due date? Good luck.

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
―Socrates

Old 05-07-2014, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minerva23 View Post

I am debating the same question here with myself. They don't do Vit K shots here in Germany but the oral version. I was considering the daily oral version with a very low amount of Vit K or none - depending on the birth itself. I suspect the jaundice of my DDs were made more severe by the oral Vit K. What ever it will be, it is going to be a tough decision. When is your due date? Good luck.

I find it so interested that just about everywhere besides the USA they have just the oral version. 

Im due in August.  When are you due?

Old 05-07-2014, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Nature delivers babies to the world vitamin K deficient because Nature never intended for newborn babies to be manhandled the way they are in the hospitals with all of the pokes and prods and insults as the genetic heel prick tests, circumcision, hep b vax, and any other unnecessary procedures done routinely in hospitals across the world in NICUs. 

Unless you or your baby have a hemmorrhagic disease or if you have a traumatic birth with forceps, vacuum, or precipitious birth or if your baby NEEDS surgery at birth, then you probably do not need the vitamin K.  Your baby will have enough vitamin K clotting factor by the 8th day if any surgery needs to be done. Otherwise you take the chance of dealing with neonatal jaundice. Just because the hospital has a remedy for neonatal jaundice caused by the vitamin K shot - the bili lights - does not mean neither have long term side effects. 

There is evidence that leukemia can be a risk from neonatal vitamin K supplementation based on some studies done on a small sampling approximately 20 yrs ago. 

Keep doing your research and make the decision that is right for you.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
Old 05-07-2014, 12:59 PM

There is exactly zero scientific evidence that vitamin k levels are normal at 8 days. They gradually increase over the first year. VKDB can happen in the absence of any trauma. These are things you should know when making your decision.

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:08 PM

As a non vaxxer but also as a midwife, I can say that even though it comes in a needle, physiologically there is little in common between Vit K injection and a vaccine. I personally chose oral K because I did not like the other ingredients in the IM K. However, I did want the actual vitamin K portion as VKDB is rare but it does occur and I found for me, the benefits of supplementing with K outweighed the risks (which were negligible.)

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
Old 05-07-2014, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukuspot View Post

As a non vaxxer but also as a midwife, I can say that even though it comes in a needle, physiologically there is little in common between Vit K injection and a vaccine. I personally chose oral K because I did not like the other ingredients in the IM K. However, I did want the actual vitamin K portion as VKDB is rare but it does occur and I found for me, the benefits of supplementing with K outweighed the risks (which were negligible.)

i wanted to clarify, you don't recommend the vitamin K shot but rather the oral form of it? i don't like the ingredients in the shot ( preservatives and unnecessary junk in the shot ) so oral is looking like a good option ?

Old 05-08-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steener06 View Post

I find it so interested that just about everywhere besides the USA they have just the oral version. 

Im due in August.  When are you due?

Mid-July

―Socrates

Old 05-08-2014, 07:23 PM

I recommend the shot for parents who want to do the "proven" form of K or won't comply with the dosing of the oral. I can't express bias in midwifery, I need to present the facts and let clients decide with good informed consent. However what I did with my kids and what I recommend if people ask what I think they should use is the Scientific Botanicals oral K supplement. It's herbally derived from green tea, nettles and alfalfa in a base of olive oil. I use the UK dosing schedule, which is 1mg (1 drop) at birth, 1 week (day 7) and 1 month (28 days). Even though this specific product has not been medically studied, oral forms of K are used in many countries as first line and IM only given to high risk babies. So I can feel with certainty that I am doing a good compromise between allopathic and holistic. I did a major research project about K options in midwifery school....I'm also fine with refusal of K all together but parents need to understand there is a small risk in that.

I still don't think this belongs in the vaccine boards though smile.gif

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
Old 05-09-2014, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukuspot View Post

I recommend if people ask what I think they should use is the Scientific Botanicals oral K supplement. It's herbally derived from green tea, nettles and alfalfa in a base of olive oil. I use the UK dosing schedule, which is 1mg (1 drop) at birth, 1 week (day 7) and 1 month (28 days).

Even though it's only one drop at a time, I wonder if olive oil would have any negative effect on the gut of an exclusively breastfed baby.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:00 AM

I think it has a negligible effect on the gut. If you're going to worry about that, you should also be worrying about nipple creams, lanolin and such because they are similar amounts.

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:28 AM

I agree. We use olive oil during crowning to help the baby slide and the perineum stretch. Big sisters eat food then accidentally stick their hands in the baby's mouth, etc etc. Babies don't live on bubbles and get exposed to many substances that get ingested in small amounts. Olive oil won't kill gut flora so I wouldn't worry at all IMO.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:48 AM

The alternative that is available here in Germany uses almond oil as base and 1 drop contains 12,5 micrograms. Recommended dosage is 2 drops per day for 12 weeks. I will have to talk to my pedi about it since I would need a prescription. The oral Vit K that is normally used contains 1 mg and is administered after birth, at one week and 4 to 6 weeks of age.

―Socrates

Old 05-13-2014, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies everyone. smile.gif

Tags
Vaccinations
User Tag List