5 day fever wants to nurse then stops - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 05-09-2014, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First of all my 21mo dd has a dr appointment this afternoon. She's been running fever for 5 days as if today. The first few days she would only nurse and drink water. When her temp would get to 103 I would give acetaminophen. Day before yesterday she had a febrile seizure which ended with a trip to the ER. Scary stuff. Urinalysis showed possible signs of UTI but not enough to diagnose. Blood work was clean. X-ray looked like there might be something going on, but again not enough to diagnose.

So , since the seizure we've kept her fever under control by alternating Motrin and acetaminophen. Before the hospital she had never had Motrin. I noticed yesterday after her Motrin dose she wanted to nurse, and then when the milk let down she pulled off and asked for her pacifier. She's eating VERY little. Drinking water fairly well. But she has now been doing this for 24 hours and it's driving me nuts. She clearly wants to nurse, but she won't.

She is also teething and currently has her fingers in her mouth. There are also no other apparent symptoms. No cough, no runny nose, nothing. Stool and urine are normal and frequent enough. I guess I just need some reassurance. Or want to know if anyone else has dealt with this.
#2 of 23 Old 05-09-2014, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

It could be roseola, which has a high fever for several days, and then once the fever goes away, a rash appears. The main symptoms are fever and rash once the fever goes away. It is common in your daughter's age group. http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/skin/roseola.html

There is absolutely no benefit to giving Motrin or acetaminophen. Neither will prevent febrile seizures. Febrile seizures are caused when a fever rises rapidly. They have nothing to do with how high a fever gets. Febrile seizures are not dangerous, either.

The body "knows" how high a fever needs to be to fight a particular infection. By lowering fever, you are hurting the body's effort to fight the infection and to heal. Fever will not cause damage to the brain or body unless it goes over 107.6. Your daughter's fever will get nowhere close to that during this illness, even if you stop medicating.

#3 of 23 Old 05-09-2014, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I know seizures are from spikes. I guess I should have said since the ER visit. Mainly to keep her comfortable until she could see her ND today. And he agreed to give her acetaminophen if it goes over 101 because your body is only building immunities between 99-101.

Anyway, she does have an ear infection. Which could be why she isn't wanting to swallow the milk. And as for the possibility of Roseola , I guess it's still possible. Although, she never had any upper respiratory stuff going on.

Thank you for the insight!!
Dakotacakes likes this.
#4 of 23 Old 05-09-2014, 06:39 PM

My child never had any upper respiratory problems with roseola. It was just a fever 103-104, and then the characteristic rash once the fever went away. The only way to know if it's roseola is to see if the rash appears once the fever is gone. You'll know soon enough.

Acetaminophen is far from a benign drug. I would prefer to use ibuprofen, but then again, I would never medicate for fever. I don't agree with your ND's opinion that there is no benefit to a fever going over 101. The ear infection may be a complication from using the fever lowering drugs.

#5 of 23 Old 05-09-2014, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

I understand the concept of our divine immune system. Which is why I chose not to vaccinate and have never administered a drug prior to this time period. My dd had never had so much as a runny nose in all of her 21 months. With that being said, it seems like a stretch to suggest the fever reducer was a cause for the ear infection. I get your thought process though. Reduce the fever=reduced immune system=infection.

And at this point I'm beyond exhausted. The recommendation was for fever reducers to be used for temps of 103 or higher if she appeared ill. (I stated in my first post I would wait until it was over 103, I miswrote in my last post) Which she clearly has exhibited. And the ear infection is most likely from the mucus build up that is a result of whatever it was that she was fighting all week and not the result of my hand as you have suggested.

I had to administer chest compressions on her this week while she laid on my floor, blue, and not breathing, from a febrile seizure, so I'm all about comfort for the rest of her illness.
#6 of 23 Old 05-10-2014, 09:01 AM

Hi! I am sorry for your LO pain! that is never fun and can be so stressful!

I understand you wanting to comfort your LO during this time. It really is a personal choice us mom's get to make and I think you going up to 103 and then not being comfortable to go past is your boundary and I get that!

I just wanted to say that I would never use Tylenol ever. I have had great success with motrin or advil and even white willow bark.

Some info on:

• The widely used pain and fever reliever acetaminophen is a leading cause of acute liver failure, even at doses that are within the recommended range.

• Acetaminophen accounts for tens of thousands of calls to poison control centers and hospital admissions each year, as well as hundreds of deaths.

• Both alcohol consumption and fasting (due to illness, anorexia, or malnutrition) greatly increase the risk of liver injury due to acetaminophen. Fasting decreases levels of glutathione, an antioxidant that helps the liver detoxify acetaminophen.

• Nearly half of people who overdose on acetaminophen do so unintentionally, due to unrelieved pain or combining medications (over-the-counter or prescription) that contain acetaminophen.

If you google "risks of tylenol" You will be amazed at the links that come up from news reports, the fda, & many other sites. It would be worth your time to research it to see the controversy surrounding it. I will leave it to you to make your desicion! More than anything: I hope your LO recovers quickly!

Mirzam likes this.

S

DS-14

DS-14      

DD-9

DD-3

"Those who are afraid retreat.
Those who are brave grow greater.
Never fear, always grow."

Sun Tzu

#7 of 23 Old 05-10-2014, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, you are right. And I have and am aware of the risks. Which is why I was alternating Motrin. And the most acetaminophen she has received is 3 doses in 24 hours which is below the recommended threshold. I've been giving her Little Remedies and not Tylenol as Tylenol has many issues which has led to it being pulled from the shelves numerous times.

Both ibuprofen and acetaminophen have serious side effects. Especially when not taken as directed. Typical overdoses, like every other statistic reported, are situational. And not at the direct result of cautious consumption. I could go on and on. I am not administering any of her medication blindly. I do have an extensive health background, degree included. I also appreciate everyone's concern about the medicine I've mentioned. Education is important!

But back to the whole purpose of starting this thread... DD wanting to nurse, but then not drinking once the milk has letdown. Ibuprofen has always upset my stomach, so maybe it's upsetting hers. Or it could simply be her ears. Now that I know she has an ear infection.
#8 of 23 Old 05-10-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacharel View Post

But back to the whole purpose of starting this thread... DD wanting to nurse, but then not drinking once the milk has letdown. Ibuprofen has always upset my stomach, so maybe it's upsetting hers. Or it could simply be her ears. Now that I know she has an ear infection.

For this question, you might get better information and more answers in the one of the breastfeeding forums.

#9 of 23 Old 05-10-2014, 04:25 PM

When my DD2 had Roseola she had a viral ear infection and her throat hurt (she would nurse but cry when she ate anything.). Once the rash started on day 3/4 she felt much better. I'm hoping for the rash for you so you could be sure.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#10 of 23 Old 05-10-2014, 04:27 PM

Oh I just read it again. 5 days? Honestly I'd try a course of antibiotics at this point. Have they suggested it? Not that I think it's a VPD of any sort, but I'm wondering about a bacterial cause. Also IMO I wouldn't use Tylenol either, just baby Motrin.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#11 of 23 Old 05-10-2014, 04:28 PM

Poor baby and mama....Keep us updated!

#12 of 23 Old 05-10-2014, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

ND started her on antibiotics yesterday because of the bacteria in her urinalysis and length of fever. Still running fever. She's been on the antibiotics for 24 hours now. I'm hoping to see some improvement really soon.
#13 of 23 Old 05-10-2014, 10:03 PM

If it's bacterial I would expect to see improvement by 48 hours. If not it's likely viral (but still finish her course of abx, that's important so not to create resistant strains of bacteria) and either way load her up on probiotics. Poor thing. I'm betting her throat or mouth hurt with this illness. I'm still not sure why it's posted on the vaccine forum though? Maybe life with a babe would be a better place?

#14 of 23 Old 05-10-2014, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

I had no idea where to post :-/ first time posting. I have doubled her normal probiotic dose per ND instructions and she is drinking water really well. Still struggling to nurse. She's also on Cran-Caps for her bladder. She was interested in food this evening for the first time since Monday. I hate that she's on abx, but will definitely finish them out.

Thanks again for the insight.
#15 of 23 Old 05-10-2014, 11:32 PM

Just sending you some hugs! Having a sick LO is so stressful. You are doing an AMAZING job! Have a beautiful Mothers Day joy.gif
mommy2r likes this.
#16 of 23 Old 05-11-2014, 06:37 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)

I can move this thread for you if you like. It could go in health and healing or in BFing if you don't feel it's related to a vax issue. I would encourage you to do that if it's not related to non-vax because this forum is reserved for our members who have chosen not to vaccinate so your response may be limited. 

I logged on to read (even though I'm not a non-vax mama) to let you know that there is a 5 day fever virus (I think it's a virus) going around our area. It's a pretty surprising virus given the length of the fever. 

I hope your DC feels better soon! 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#17 of 23 Old 05-11-2014, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

I can move this thread for you if you like. It could go in health and healing or in BFing if you don't feel it's related to a vax issue.

Thank you. I am a non-vaxer, so I just assumed I would have some responses from like-minded parents. Which I have received.

She did have bacteria in her urinalysis. So I know the fever was partly from the UTI. Anyway, two days after the ER visit ND confirmed an ear infection. But I still don't doubt she was battling a virus before the fluid buildup turned into the ear infection. Especially since she never had a runny nose or anything. It could have just been hanging out in there. ???

I should also note we both have seasonal allergies and she and I had been playing outside on the 'low pollen' days which could have also triggered the mucus buildup. Whatever the cause, she is finally on the mend. She ran a little fever in the night and woke up this morning sweaty. Fell right back asleep for an extra two hours, which is really unusual, so I think her little body is on the upswing.
#18 of 23 Old 05-11-2014, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! Ditto!
#19 of 23 Old 05-11-2014, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Any chance you are eating, takin, or doing something new that changes your milk? That would explain why she is pulling off nursing right when she would seem to need to nurse the most.

New medication, new supplement, new food, new soap? More or different spices than usual? Fwiw, my oldest gated my milk whenever I ate Mexican food. Go figure.
applejuice likes this.
#20 of 23 Old 05-11-2014, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

New medication, new supplement, new food, new soap? More or different spices than usual? Fwiw, my oldest gated my milk whenever I ate Mexican food. Go figure.

I thought that too. I have poured over my diet and routine to see if anything has changed. Can't think of anything. She's drinking a little bit more today than she was able to drink yesterday. I even thought that my stress might have made it taste different somehow too-
#21 of 23 Old 05-13-2014, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Fever free for 24 hours!

I took her to see our chiro yesterday and he did a lot of good. He muscle tested her for virus, bacteria, allergies... And the list goes on. Long story short, she is on:joy the mend. She started eating a little today and still has some deep mucus gurgling but doing much better! Thank you ALL again for your kind words, support, and information! joy.gif
#22 of 23 Old 05-14-2014, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
My little one pulls off when my milk lets down because of mucus deep in the sinuses. Usually with a deep open mother breath because he couldn't breathe well while nursing. No runny nose until he a started getting better and the sinuses started draining. Sorry, tense is all messed up I this post. Juggling bouncing nurseling so I'm leaving it as typed.
Glad to hear your little one is getting better.
#23 of 23 Old 05-14-2014, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrmEmbar View Post

My little one pulls off when my milk lets down because of mucus deep in the sinuses.

That's what I've been dealing with. It's beginning to loosen up, I'm able to hear it more when she's nursing and sleeping. But it still isn't able to be sucked out and she doesn't have a runny nose. It's just slipping right down her throat. She's much more comfortable though than previous days. And thank you @OrmEmbar!
OrmEmbar likes this.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page