For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-10-2014, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

... what is yours?  

True story - A man went to an in network doctor yesterday for blood work and check up. The doctor wanted to give him a shingles vaccine and a tetanus vaccine which he refused. The doctor told him that the day is coming soon when he will not be allowed to treat him if he refuses the vaccines. Of course he didn't ask any questions so are these the new Obamacare guidelines?

What's your experience/thoughts on this?

Mine would be an inflammatory response, in every way!

#2 of 12 Old 05-10-2014, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Could just be old fashioned fearmongering and scare tactics, trying to get the patient to comply, like usual.   Heck, drs already use the excuse they refuse to treat unvaccinated children, so the new 'in thing' is to exclude  non compliant adults, imo. 

applejuice likes this.
#3 of 12 Old 05-10-2014, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Drs have refused to treat non vaxed children for nearly 50 yrs. 

#4 of 12 Old 05-10-2014, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post

... what is yours?  

True story - A man went to an in network doctor yesterday for blood work and check up. The doctor wanted to give him a shingles vaccine and a tetanus vaccine which he refused. The doctor told him that the day is coming soon when he will not be allowed to treat him if he refuses the vaccines. Of course he didn't ask any questions so are these the new Obamacare guidelines?

What's your experience/thoughts on this?

Mine would be an inflammatory response, in every way!

Not necessarily. The doctor could have just been referring to a proposed policy change at his/her own practice. Although that also may have been a reference to a trend in medicine that this doctor envisions taking hold of a lot of clinics.

I don't listen to much speculation about the ACA and only believe what people say about it if they can quote for me an actual passage from the actual law or link me to a credible legal interpretation of it. I'm no fan of the ACA, but some of the rumors that get started about it can be a little out there.
applejuice and rednightingale like this.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#5 of 12 Old 05-10-2014, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

I agree with your point about the ACA.

There is a movement among some practitioners to get rid of those who are noncompliant and just work with the ones who do what they are told. 

#6 of 12 Old 05-10-2014, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Well pre-ACA there was a local ped office who had been one of the very few around my parts who was well known for being vax friendly.  One of my first visits with my ND we got to talking about peds and the vax policies (I just love my chiro and ND because they are so open to talk about everything!) and I mentioned the doc I thought was vax-friendly only to find out she no longer accepted new patients UNLESS they vaxxed on schedule.  It was passed along via doc to one of her patients to my ND that her insurance was either going to skyrocket or she was going to be dropped, but either way, her low vax numbers got out to someone and they didn't like what they saw. It was confirmed when my pregnant friend called that office to meet with the doc but was instead met pretty harshly by the nurse practitioner who told her bluntly if she didn't not vax she was not welcome in their practice....oh and that they didn't "do" interviews for new parents looking to meet the doc.  Yikes!

applejuice likes this.
#7 of 12 Old 05-11-2014, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

That is a sad commentary, sassyfirechick!  That kind of business tactic affects families. 

Doctors have been turning away many nonvaxing parents for over 50 yrs.

This is a grand opportunity for those families to find a family practitioner, a DO, a naturopath or chiropractor or homeopath, or acupuncturist who may be more sympathetic, and put the pediatricians out of business.

Go to a LLLI meeting or a health food store and ask. Sometimes people know....

#8 of 12 Old 05-13-2014, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I work in the industry, and I can tell you currently there are requirements coming down on the pipe for vaccine reports, right now most of the physician specialties are getting ready for meaningful use , some of the requirements to reach this is to report vaccines, and vaccine exemptions to the government in exchange for bonuses.

Health care systems are building interfaces with the health department to report this as well. 

applejuice and BeckyBird like this.
#9 of 12 Old 05-13-2014, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

That reads like the mark of the beast, almost.

Would those reports record vaccine reactions and lot and batch number?

BeckyBird likes this.
#10 of 12 Old 05-13-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:

That reads like the mark of the beast, almost.

Would those reports record vaccine reactions and lot and batch number?

The EMR ( electronic medical records) have ways to document any reaction, however it is not a requirement and the way to record is very rudimentary ( link to VAERS)

Mark of the best! Yes, it could be... Not saying it is but the way the insurance industry works, it usually fallows (later on) the same requirements medicare/medicaid has.

MU ( Meaningful Use) mostly applies to Medicare/Medicaid insurance payers, and if the physicians do not comply and will miss out on huge bonuses for their practices, and later on will lead to penalties.

There are many benefits to EMR, which almost all Insurance companies approve, it brings them more revenue and diminishes incorrect claims. Right now other insurance companies are working on ways to mimic Medicare/Medicaid because of these benefits.

Is not far fetch to think these same requirements from Medicare/Medicaid will soon apply to private insurances, that mixed with Obamacare success ( if it does in fact succeed) We could have a single payer system which would force requirements down to the population. Right now there are programs that charges more for insurance if the employee doesn't do annual health assessments.

Can you imagine what other requirements they can pass?

#11 of 12 Old 05-13-2014, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

That is interesting.

I am sure that there are many benefits. Think of being injured in a strange town involved in an auto accident and one cannot speak well for him/herself. Such a record is invaluable.

I would be afraid of mistakes that are made. These reports and records are made and input by humans after all. They are not infallible.

Anecdotally, a friend told me she looked over her medical file years ago and found reports for procedures that she never had. One was a conal biopsy of the cervix.  She never had anything of the kind. Never.  Yet, there, in her file, was a report of a cervical "snow cone" procedure, billed to her insurance with a full report of someone's cervical problems, just not my friend's. She told the doctor that the report was not hers - that she NEVER had a problem with her cervix and never had any procedure of the kind.  She told the nurse. Nothing was done.

The doctor is long retired and passed on, yet somewhere in a file box in a storage container, my friend's healthcare reports, billings, and records are for things that are not hers.

#12 of 12 Old 05-13-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:

That is interesting.

I am sure that there are many benefits. Think of being injured in a strange town involved in an auto accident and one cannot speak well for him/herself. Such a record is invaluable.

I would be afraid of mistakes that are made. These reports and records are made and input by humans after all. They are not infallible.

Anecdotally, a friend told me she looked over her medical file years ago and found reports for procedures that she never had. One was a conal biopsy of the cervix.  She never had anything of the kind. Never.  Yet, there, in her file, was a report of a cervical "snow cone" procedure, billed to her insurance with a full report of someone's cervical problems, just not my friend's. She told the doctor that the report was not hers - that she NEVER had a problem with her cervix and never had any procedure of the kind.  She told the nurse. Nothing was done.

The doctor is long retired and passed on, yet somewhere in a file box in a storage container, my friend's healthcare reports, billings, and records are for things that are not hers.

Yes, I have seen many of those... mostly are due to pre entering tests or procedures before the patient even show up to the clinic/hospital...

Yes, the benefits are there, while the example you gave is what policy makers use to sell these systems, your medical record will not be available for anyone to just pull up and see, the physician still have to request access to it, in that case of emergency they will just treat...

applejuice likes this.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page