• 5 Post By beckybird
  • 2 Post By kathymuggle
  • 2 Post By fisherfamily
  • 5 Post By Taximom5

#1 of 7 Old 05-24-2014, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Does anyone else see this? All of a sudden, I have come across several articles, memes and other internet stuff regarding Autism. It is not a problem, that children on the spectrum are not damaged, and they are unique and born this way and meant to be this way.

I can see it as a push for acceptance, I guess. Though I don't know anyone who doesn't accept and love those in their lives who aren't neurotypical, but I wonder if it is more deliberate. Is it something to silence those who think environmental toxins are contributing to the rise in ASD?

If there is nothing "wrong" with people on the spectrum, then there is no reason to look for a cause or a cure. This is how they were meant to be, and to say anything contrary to that is insensitive. Somehow, stating that it may have been prevented is no longer an accepted point of view.

Please forgive me if anything in this thread is offensive. I hope I have worded this properly; I know we have mothers here of children on the spectrum and mean no disrespect. I am just pointing out a trend I am seeing online.

applejuice and kathymuggle like this.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~Mark Twain

#2 of 7 Old 05-25-2014, 05:08 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)

I have never met a neuro-diversity type who discusses vaccines and wasn't also pro-vaccine.  I guess if you are one of the minority of people on the ASD spectrum who is genuinely thriving, you might be offended that others seek to prevent the thing you have and embrace.  

The thing is:  the percentage of those who thrive as independent adults with ASD is pretty low.  

There are also those who are not on the ASD spectrum, but have embraced the neuordiveristy movement as it supports their desire to promote vaccination. 

There is little that angers me more than people romanticizing autism, and romanticizing it for their own agenda is the worst.  

Another possibility is there is a tiny part of them that thinks vaccines could be linked to autism.  They need to normalize autism so they can continue to promote vaccines with a clear conscience.  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#3 of 7 Old 05-25-2014, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

"AOL Health: What do you think of the theory promoted by many autistic rights organizations run by individuals with autism that society needs to accept neurodiversity and treat autistic individuals as people who think and understand the world differently?

Offit: It makes abundant sense. They are arguing that it's a way of being. It's a variance of normal. It should be looked at as such, not stigmatized. I've spoken to many of them, and they don't want to be seen as damaged."

http://autismalternative.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=250:autism-experts-on-causes-cures-and-controversies&catid=3:newsflash

applejuice likes this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#4 of 7 Old 05-25-2014, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

I think the term autism is too broad, and therefore, it does upset high functioning autistics and their families to be thought of as damaged. I fully understand and support them.

However, for the parents who believe that something caused their child's autism, this push for blanket acceptance is, well, unacceptable! If the parents are wrong is completely beside the point. If a child appeared to be developing normally, then suddenly something changed, I can totally understand why parents would feel that something changed (or damged) their child. You cannot deny parents the freedom to feel this way, just as you cannot deny parents the freedom to feel that there is nothing wrong with their child. I can see this argument from both sides.

Now that that's out of the way, I do see the "provax" authorities using this as another way to divide and conquer. It seems that most parents who feel something external changed their child might also blame vaccines. This pits the pro against the non, and is just one more way to fuel the argument. I believe the authorities know this, and are using it to their advantage.

"Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."

~Captain Hammer (j/k, it was Plato)

#5 of 7 Old 05-25-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyBird View Post

Now that that's out of the way, I do see the "provax" authorities using this as another way to divide and conquer. It seems that most parents who feel something external changed their child might also blame vaccines. This pits the pro against the non, and is just one more way to fuel the argument. I believe the authorities know this, and are using it to their advantage.

I will say I have much more patience for parents or individuals who speak the truth as they see it and how they interpret their or a close family members autism …and far less with professionals who pick a side for political reasons/agendas.

I will also say this can go far beyond vaccines.  If autism is all genetic, the real numbers are not increasing and autism is just wunderbar, then the government does not have to pour money into research or ask tough questions on environmental factors that could tick off industry lobby groups.  So - good for government, good for industry leaders, and bad for many families.

applejuice and BeckyBird like this.

#6 of 7 Old 05-25-2014, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I also see both sides.

Perhaps another reason for this push for acceptance is the realization that autism isn't going away. There are so many people who see the world through autistic eyes, and it behooves all of society to learn how to interact.
applejuice and BeckyBird like this.
#7 of 7 Old 05-25-2014, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I think it's very similar to the debate about cochlear implants in the hearing-impaired culture.

Funny, if a child suffered a broken arm in an accident, nobody would say, "he's fine the way he is, he doesn't need fixing, we must love and accept him the way he is..."

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page