• 1 Post By happilymomma2
  • 2 Post By MamadeRumi
  • 3 Post By Mirzam

#1 of 9 Old 06-25-2014, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Question Measles at summer camp

Hi all, I just received a notice that there is a confirmed case of measles at my son's summer camp. (It's a day camp. I don't know if the sick child was in the same class as my son, but I know the child was in aftercare with my son). DS is completely unvaxxed, and generally healthy as a horse. Is there anything I can do to give him some extra protection? I mean I know the obvious, get him lots of rest, have him eat healthy food and drink lots of liquids, make sure he washes his hands regularly, and I'm giving him some echinacea to maybe boost his immune system a bit. anything else?

I know that measles used to be a routine childhood illness, and I know that there are long term health benefits to him getting it, and if he does get it, I'll console myself (he isn't old enough to appreciate that) with that knowledge. However, this would be an extremely inconvenient and unpleasant time for him to be sick, (lots going on this summer) so if I can help him avoid it, I'd like to.
applejuice likes this.
#2 of 9 Old 06-25-2014, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Give your son plenty of vitamin A and vitamin C.

Most complications of measles can be avoided by taking vitamin A.

If your son is going to get measles from this child, you will know by the end of July.
#3 of 9 Old 06-25-2014, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you. I will get him some Vit. A and C supplements, and in the mean time keep feeding him those carrots he loves so much. But end of July? Yikes. I thought we'd know a lot sooner than that. Hopefully we won't discover that he has measles (or that we do) right when we are visiting elderly family members.

Thanks for the info.
#4 of 9 Old 06-25-2014, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamadeRumi View Post
Thank you. I will get him some Vit. A and C supplements, and in the mean time keep feeding him those carrots he loves so much. But end of July? Yikes. I thought we'd know a lot sooner than that. Hopefully we won't discover that he has measles (or that we do) right when we are visiting elderly family members.

Thanks for the info.
I wouldn't worry about your elderly family, they are almost certainly immune to measles.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#5 of 9 Old 06-25-2014, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I thought the incubation period was about two weeks. Won't she know in about two weeks if her son will have measles? Either way MamadeRumi, keep us updated on what happens. Good luck to you and your son!
MamadeRumi likes this.
#6 of 9 Old 06-25-2014, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post
I wouldn't worry about your elderly family, they are almost certainly immune to measles.
Oh, good point! They, my parents, almost certainly had measles as kids, so probably they are fine, and DS is young and healthy enough that if he does get it, well, it will really screw up our summer and be unpleasant, but he'd probably be fine, too. Me and DH? Well, we were vaxed as kids and probably don't have immunity now, so we might be in for an unpleasant ride, but, as usual, I'm less worried about myself than about my child and parents -- guess I must be a mom.
applejuice and sassyfirechick like this.
#7 of 9 Old 06-25-2014, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by happilymomma2 View Post
I thought the incubation period was about two weeks. Won't she know in about two weeks if her son will have measles? Either way MamadeRumi, keep us updated on what happens. Good luck to you and your son!
That's what I thought. I looked at the CDC website and they say the incubation is 7 to 21 days, so if the possible exposure happened last week (and that's what I'm told, that a child with a confirmed case of the measles was a camp and in aftercare last week) then I should know some time between this week and 3 weeks from now. I'd rather know sooner rather than later, but I suppose it doesn't matter that much. Either way I need to get him rest, good nutrition, and some vitamins, and then just see what happens.
#8 of 9 Old 06-25-2014, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Well, turns out this all may have been a false alarm. Today the camp sent an email saying, oops, we thought that was a confirmed case of measles, but now we think it might not have been measles, and all the kids should resume normal kid behavior and not see a doctor if they aren't sick.

Well, it's not like I was going to change his behavior or take him to a doctor unless I saw symptoms, anyway. So, I've spent the day googling for info about measles when I didn't need to, but oh well, now I've got more information should it become necessary. And for now it seems like I have nothing to worry about.

Thanks for all your help. Sorry to have bothered you all over a false alarm.
#9 of 9 Old 06-25-2014, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamadeRumi View Post
Well, turns out this all may have been a false alarm. Today the camp sent an email saying, oops, we thought that was a confirmed case of measles, but now we think it might not have been measles, and all the kids should resume normal kid behavior and not see a doctor if they aren't sick.
Why am I not surprised?

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page