• 5 Post By mightymama1976
  • 2 Post By applejuice
  • 1 Post By sassyfirechick

#1 of 10 Old 07-29-2014, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Confrontations with physicians

How many have you had about vaccines, or really any non-mainstream practice? I've had a few; one in particular where we visited a different practice because one of my children had strep, and a doctor who wasn't even seeing her for the strep came in to berate me about her not being up to date on vaccines. He said her reaction was not from vaccines and when I said, "what if she got another vaccine and had the same reaction?" and he said, "I still wouldn't think it was the vaccines." Nice, huh. At our regular doctor's office, no one bats an eye at it anymore.

I just had an issue with a new doctor about retracting my son's intact penis. I posted about it on the intact care board if you want to read about it and offer advice...don't want to go off topic here.
applejuice likes this.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~Mark Twain

#2 of 10 Old 07-29-2014, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I have been lucky.

I was told by minds greater than mine to never get into a discussion with any doctor since you are on their turf and the doctor will call the shots. No piece of antivax info will ever be good enough if you are standing in a doctors' office, urgent care, ER or hospital.
Xerxella, jammomma and beckybird like this.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#3 of 10 Old 07-30-2014, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I had to reschedule my daughters 12 month appointment because of a work conflict. When calling to cancel the woman in the office yelled at me and said that I had to come in by a certain date otherwise my daughter's vaccines would be behind schedule. Little did she know, had she actually looked at the file, we had stopped vaccinating over 6 months prior to that appt. Same night that I had to cancel, the pediatrician called to ask why and stated that I needed to follow all of her scheduling in order to be considered a patient at her practice. I explained that I was not playing hooky and would be rescheduling I just didn't know my schedule at that point in time but that was basically the last straw and after her 13 month appointment we were done there!
applejuice likes this.
#4 of 10 Old 07-30-2014, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
When our pediatrician learned that our oldest child had had a severe vaccine reaction, he was very concerned, and recommended starting vaccines a bit later for our younger children. Unfortunately, the nurses at the hospital ignored this, and gave our second child the hep v vaccine without our knowledge or permission.

When our second child had a different reaction to a different set of vaccines, our pediatrician recommended both starting vaccines later, and giving only 1 or 2 at a time, as well as entirely skipping vaccines that he thought were unnecessary.

When our youngest had a different reaction to vaccines (and at an older age), our pediatrician said that he thought we had a strange genetic predisposition to vaccine reactions, he did not understand why, but that we should no longer vaccinate.

So, in a way, we are lucky. It's just too bad it took so many reactions...
applejuice and sassyfirechick like this.
#5 of 10 Old 08-02-2014, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Our ex pediatrician was at least nice, but adamant about vaccines. Every visit he would give us a lecture. It was very annoying to say the least, and I was thrilled when we found a doctor within driving distance (35 minutes, but worth it) who is supportive of our decision.
applejuice likes this.
#6 of 10 Old 08-03-2014, 11:30 AM

I am sorry that most of you have endured humiliation with the doctors you have trusted.

I wonder if that would have happened if you had brought some backup in the form of relatives or friends?

If it were not for the well-regarding pediatrician I was referred to, I would never have gone to a pediatrician. My husband and my Aunt went with me to the first few visits. I never really needed him for much, but it was nice to know he was there. My mom never took us to a pediatrician and we all did quite well.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."

Last edited by applejuice; 08-03-2014 at 03:32 PM. Reason: add personal info.
#7 of 10 Old 08-05-2014, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
I am sorry that most of you have endured humiliation with the doctors you have trusted.

I wonder if that would have happened if you had brought some backup in the form of relatives or friends?

If it were not for the well-regarding pediatrician I was referred to, I would never have gone to a pediatrician. My husband and my Aunt went with me to the first few visits. I never really needed him for much, but it was nice to know he was there. My mom never took us to a pediatrician and we all did quite well.

I have never been confronted in any way when my husband was with me. It is only when I'm alone, and male doctors are much more aggressive in tactic than females.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~Mark Twain

#8 of 10 Old 08-10-2014, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
At one point a nurse asked me if my child (don't remember whether it was my son or my daughter that day) needed a vaccine. I replied to her along the lines of "No, thanks. I am pretty sure my child has no aluminum deficiency at the moment". She got the hint

Another time a doctor said to me: "We need to discuss vaccines" (right in front of my child). I enthusiastically replied something like: "I would love to! I love talking about vaccines! After 8+ years of in-depth research into the topic, I would be happy to address all your questions". That was that, he stopped right there . I guess my attitude in combination with nearly 5-11" height and years of studding numerous martial arts does not help me appear bully-friendly .
#9 of 10 Old 08-10-2014, 09:21 AM

mightymama1976,

I am only 5' tall, 115 lbs, so I have always needed reinforcements. I have done a year of krav maga and I have studied vaccines for over 50 yrs. Sad to say, despite my knowledge and focused stance, I always brought back-up. This worked for me for all my children.

When you are in the doctor's office, YOU are on their TURF.
beckybird and samaxtics like this.

#10 of 10 Old 08-11-2014, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymama1976 View Post
I replied to her along the lines of "No, thanks. I am pretty sure my child has no aluminum deficiency at the moment". She got the hint
applejuice likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page