• 5 Post By samaxtics
  • 2 Post By Deborah
  • 3 Post By sassyfirechick

#1 of 9 Old 08-07-2014, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How much to get into with pediatrician

Hey everyone! I have my daughter's 2 mo well check tomorrow. We will not be vaccinating her and our pediatrician already has an idea that we won't be as we declined one of my son's 4 yr vaccines. He thinks we just postponed them until he's 5 though. I have researched every vaccine they give at the 2 mo visit, read the information sheets, looked up every ingredient and their side effects, looked up monthly, weekly and yearly reports for the diseases the vaccines are supposed to prevent, read medical journal articles, law reviews...you name it. And it's all only made me more convinced of our stance. I want so badly to take all of this information in to him and scream to everyone there, "Are you people not paying attention!??! Listen to me!!" - But that would obviously not be a good idea. I don't want to get fired from the practice. And I know I don't owe ANY explanation for why we aren't vaccinating. So how much do I get into? Do I just say we aren't doing it and leave it at that? And if he asks why how much do I say? From what I've read in different places, walking around waving an anti-vax flag isn't wise but I feel so strong about this it might be hard to keep quiet. Thanks you and I'll stop rambling now...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 08-07-2014, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Since doctors cost money, perhaps you should focus on getting the doctor to actually provide your baby with a good and thorough check-up? And just keep asking the doctor to focus on the baby and not on persuading you to vaccinate the baby?

There is a thread in the main vaccination forum that has a slide show of the tactics doctors are trained to use to persuade parents to vax. You might find that an interesting way to prepare for the visit. You can note down any of the techniques that the doctor actually uses and then mention them at the end: "I see you took this course on pushing vaccines and I think you did tactic A pretty well but you need to polish up on tactics B and C." I bet that would creep them out...

But no, getting into a fight with a pediatrician over vaccines, nowadays, is hopeless. The vast majority are totally committed and you'll just end up wasting the visit bickering.
#3 of 9 Old 08-07-2014, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Yes, it is like gang warfare, and you are on their turf.

So when you go to a pediatrician, if you must, bring backup - large, intimidating relatives and friends.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#4 of 9 Old 08-07-2014, 12:45 PM

good point.

If you do want a debate, bring along your large cousin with the tattoos and earring the one who used to play football or who looks like a member of a biker gang.
sassyfirechick and Belle78 like this.
#5 of 9 Old 08-07-2014, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Well what state are you in and what exemption are you using?

From my experience the 1st ped I declined vaxes at literally wanted to argue and debate with me. Once I brought up "the laws states that anyone can decline vax for religious reasons ...." he shut up. He knew that he lost. He did try to ask me what religion I am, but the law does not require you to belong to a specific religion.
That ped was a total bully, we left that practice. Its been my experience that family doctors are way less pushy.
sassyfirechick and Belle78 like this.
#6 of 9 Old 08-07-2014, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Deborah, I checked out the "How to approach hesitant parents" thing - crazy! He has said some of those things to me before. Now I know they weren't original thoughts And we are in SC and as we homeschool I am not worried about an exemption. From what I have heard from my friends whose kids go to public and private school they don't have an issue getting religious exemptions. I am just not looking forward to the confrontation. And I am stubborn and want to "prove" to him that I am not crazy. But really it doesn't matter what he thinks and I'm pretty sure I won't change his mind. Y'all are funny. Thanks for the laughs!
applejuice, Deborah and beckybird like this.
#7 of 9 Old 08-07-2014, 05:21 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
You go in expecting a good argument.....but all you get is a contradiction.

(a wink and a nudge to MP fans.)

unless you of course enjoy exercises in futility I would just keep repeating "we are confident at this time with our decision to not vaccinate. should that change, you'll be the first person we call".

Good luck and congrats on the new baby.

"Practically every food you buy in a store for consumption by humans is genetically modified food"
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Astrophysicist/GMO defender
#8 of 9 Old 08-07-2014, 07:11 PM

One more thing which is helpful when dealing with difficult people who think they have authority. When they start ranting, just picture them dressed in a bunny suit with a fluffy tail and any other bits--floppy ears are good--and then concentrate on keeping a straight face.
applejuice and Belle78 like this.
#9 of 9 Old 08-08-2014, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
"I see you took this course on pushing vaccines and I think you did tactic A pretty well but you need to polish up on tactics B and C."
Oh man, too bad we ditched our ped for an ND but I need to bank this for any possible emergency situations that could arise!

Definitely get your moneys worth while there, hold them accountable for truly examining your LO and not just asking questions blindly while nodding and typing.
applejuice, Deborah and beckybird like this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page