Whooping cough / Pertussis presentation and treatment help please. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

#1 of 14 Old 08-16-2014, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Whooping cough / Pertussis presentation and treatment help please.

Hi Everyone,

Not sure if I'm posting in the right area, but as a mostly non vaxxing family, I feel "at home" here so to speak. I wanted to ask if anyone has had experience with Pertussis in an infant or newborn. We had a friend visit us some 2 weeks ago and while she wasn't openly ill, she had a quick cough here and there (probably 2-3 "single" coughs in the few hours she was over). She mentioned everyone back at her place was ill, except her and that's why she came alone to visit. I was a little bit worried after I heard that.

Anyway, fast forward to about 8 days later.. 4w3d old DS has a stuffy nose.. stuffy enough to get boogers out and a few well spread out one off coughs here and there. Nothing major. That disappears for a few days... Today (5w2d old): I am feeding him... He suddenly makes a gasping sound and stops feeding, holds his breath and then cough, cough, cough, going a bit red and look of shock on DS's face continues, cough, hold breath again, vomit! It has happened three times today. On one of those times, he didn't vomit, he just kept trying to take that breath in and mucus was dribbling continuously out of his mouth. He is not coughing for longer than 10 seconds.... Now you probably know where I'm headed with this.. Could this be pertussis? I know there should be the characteristic whoop, but there isn't. And I'm sure the cough won't last 10 seconds or less. He also kind of holds his breath first instead of "holding his breath" in general simply because he can't stop coughing if you get what I mean. Whether it's out of shock or something else, I don't know.

Does anyone here have experience with pertussis in infants? And..
-Do you know of how it presents in infants?
-Would a PCR test come up positive at this stage?
-Is this the point where we start vitamin C? Based on his weight, it would be roughly 2g per 24 hours. Do I need to take it as well (I am breastfeeding)?
-Am I just panicking for nothing?

Thank you so much in advance.

Me: DH:

Our babies: Our researcher Our comedian Our boundless energy Our streaker Our cuddly bear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 08-16-2014, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
I'd start the vitamin C just in case and quickly read through Suzanne Humphries article on pertussis. http://www.vaccinationcouncil.org/20...-humphries-md/

I haven't seen pertussis in an infant so no first hand experience to share.
#3 of 14 Old 08-16-2014, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
breastfeed.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#4 of 14 Old 08-16-2014, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Deborah, I will read that article right away. Applejuice, I have no intention to stop breastfeeding, but I am curious as to what breastfeeding has to do with what I wrote? Do you mean that his symptoms are caused by breastfeeding?

Our babies: Our researcher Our comedian Our boundless energy Our streaker Our cuddly bear
#5 of 14 Old 08-17-2014, 07:45 AM

Breastfeeding provides helpful antibodies in the case of exposure to illness. It might help.
#6 of 14 Old 08-17-2014, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveOurBabies View Post
Thank you Deborah, I will read that article right away. Applejuice, I have no intention to stop breastfeeding, but I am curious as to what breastfeeding has to do with what I wrote? Do you mean that his symptoms are caused by breastfeeding?
No, not at all. I simply mean that breastfeeding is the best way to keep your baby healthy and prevents infectious disease. You and your baby are exposed to the same germs since you are together all of the time, and you make antibodies to those germs and pass them to your sweet baby through the breastmilk. Not everyone breastfeeds.

Quote:
We had a friend visit us some 2 weeks ago and while she wasn't openly ill, she had a quick cough here and there
When I had my babies, anyone who came over in the first three months was handed a face mask. Any one who was sick was told to stay home and come when they were fully recovered. Call me paranoid, but I never had a problem with colds or flu in the first year. And I breastfed for at least a year.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."

Last edited by applejuice; 08-17-2014 at 11:42 AM.
#7 of 14 Old 08-17-2014, 05:15 PM

Yes, paranoia can be very helpful when it comes to protecting babies!

My daughter's tenant had adopted twin daughters. She had everyone come in through the side door and take off their shoes. Then they had to thoroughly scrub their hands before they could see the babies. The little ones stayed healthy.
#8 of 14 Old 08-17-2014, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
The two families I know who had pertussis said that the babies got it last. Went through the parents and older siblings first. The classic whoop did not appear in over half the cases.
It is the season for late summer colds. I would ask the friend how they are all doing. If their cough has lingered for more than three weeks I might call my doc to get a test. If not, I would assume it's a regular cold.
The breathing thing with pertussis is when the cough spasm is so strong that you cough cough cough cough, without a chance to relax and breath in. When you do get a chance to breathe, it's like a gasp and sound is a whoop.
Two of my babies did not like coughing in general and would hold their breath in an effort to avoid coughing. It was definitely not whooping cough.
#9 of 14 Old 08-17-2014, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

He hasn't had one of those coughing incidents since I posted on Saturday... So I'm thinking it might not be serious and just a new thing with him and like OrmEmbar said - Perhaps he doesn't like to cough. It was still a very strange coughing incident regardless, so I'll keep an eye on him and will administer the SA as detailed in the article. I'm a bit hesitant to take him to the hospital to be seen (unless of course I am almost certain it is WC) because I would be unnecessarily exposing him to all sorts of nasty stuff by taking him there.

There is no such thing as too paranoid with newborns. We don't let anyone over if they are sick and we made that clear from the get go. Now the lady that did come told me she wasn't sick and hadn't been sick at all, but just that other family members had been and that's why they didn't come to visit. She coughed 2-3 times in total. Just a simple single "cough" and it was over within a second. Not knowing if it was an innocent throat clearing cough or something more sinister (especially her having been around other people who were unwell), I tend to panic.

#10 of 14 Old 08-18-2014, 06:53 AM

Quote:
How is pertussis spread?

Pertussis is primarily spread from person to person by direct contact with mucus or droplets from the nose and throat of infected individuals. Frequently, older siblings who may be harboring the bacteria in their nose and throat can bring the disease home and infect an infant in the household.
https://www.health.ny.gov/diseases/c...fact_sheet.htm

Even if someone has a cough, there would need to be contact with "droplets", so if the person did not cough directly on the baby and if they did not cover the cough with their hands and then touch the baby, it would be hard to catch pertussis.

Even if someone isn't visibly sick with a cold, they can carry cold germs in their nose and sinuses. So even an allergic sneeze could spread a bug.

We all need to be really careful around babies.
#11 of 14 Old 08-18-2014, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Vit C and breastfeeding! Somewhere there's a thread on here with links that show how pertussis plays out over the course of the 100 or so days so you might be able to search and find that or if anyone has it bookmarked and can share. I'm fairly certain we all had it this winter - and not because we whooped, but because of the duration and intensity of the coughs...but like I said there wasn't really any whooping, def a few incidences of gasping for air when coughs were more intense, and since I did it myself I def got a sense of how hard it would be on a LO, but we upped our C dosage and the intensity of the cough dropped greatly! Still went on for quite a few weeks, but the gasping was short lived. Never bothered to get tested because I didn't want to go out spreading anything. DD was also 2 and better equipped to handle things at that point.
#12 of 14 Old 08-18-2014, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Smile

I wanted to post the normal time frame:

Whooping cough is spread by carriers. The real world reality, is that most of the carriers of whooping cough don't know they have it; most are asymptomatic (no symptoms) and most often parents don't know their children have it until about four to six weeks AFTER they first contacted it:

Incubation is listed as 5 - 15 days .

This is followed by an insignificant cold which lasts about a week, then goes away = 12 - 22 days.
After about a one week pause, = 19 - 31 days, the cough starts.
Most parents don't get concerned until about two weeks into the cough, when it's getting worse, and NOT going away.
So usually a parent doesn't usually get the child to the doctor until around 33 - 45 days after initial contact!

We are also assuming that the tests are accurate early on, which they are not. You can be in full bore whooping cough which eventually lasts for 100 days, yet all the tests can come back negative.

I hope that might help.

And for non WC: about your breastfeeding:
http://www.beyondconformity.org.nz/B...&ObjectType=55

S

DS-14

DS-14      

DD-9

DD-3

"Those who are afraid retreat.
Those who are brave grow greater.
Never fear, always grow."

Sun Tzu

#13 of 14 Old 08-19-2014, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssun5 View Post
I wanted to post the normal time frame:

Whooping cough is spread by carriers. The real world reality, is that most of the carriers of whooping cough don't know they have it; most are asymptomatic (no symptoms) and most often parents don't know their children have it until about four to six weeks AFTER they first contacted it:

Incubation is listed as 5 - 15 days .

This is followed by an insignificant cold which lasts about a week, then goes away = 12 - 22 days.
After about a one week pause, = 19 - 31 days, the cough starts.
Most parents don't get concerned until about two weeks into the cough, when it's getting worse, and NOT going away.
So usually a parent doesn't usually get the child to the doctor until around 33 - 45 days after initial contact!

We are also assuming that the tests are accurate early on, which they are not. You can be in full bore whooping cough which eventually lasts for 100 days, yet all the tests can come back negative.

I hope that might help.

And for non WC: about your breastfeeding:
http://www.beyondconformity.org.nz/B...&ObjectType=55
Thank you! This is totally the time frame I was thinking of last winter when DD and I were nearing the middle part of the "cold" and thus lead me to believe WC (we did use the vit c protocol early on which may have ultimately helped with avoiding the whoop!)
#14 of 14 Old 08-24-2014, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just wanted to respond to your question about the sound of whooping cough. It seems your reason for posting is resolved, but for anyone else reading this thread, or for anyone who can attest to the following: my daughter had a cough for about a month. On and off, she seemed to be better, then wouldn't be. When the coughs resulted in her vomiting, I brought her to the hospital. Long story short, the doctor informed me that pertussis does not always present with the whooping sound.

User Tag List