• 2 Post By Deborah
  • 5 Post By ssun5
  • 1 Post By Belle78

#1 of 5 Old 08-16-2014, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hib and Prevnar

So I've moved on from my Pertussis fears and am now curious what you all have to say about Hib and pneumococcal disease that might ease my mind?? We aren't vaccinating our new baby or our older children anymore. I know why I don't like the Hib and Prevnar vaccines but I'm more interested in what you have to say about the diseases themselves. I have looked around this site and found some helpful information but it seems I've found more about the vaccines themselves (serotype replacement, etc.) and not about the diseases, which are kind of scary. Thanks in advance. You've all been so helpful to me. We're still feeling all this out. We're not going to change our minds about vaccinating but I'm still looking for as much information as I can find. Hopefully some day I can help someone else!
#2 of 5 Old 08-17-2014, 02:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I don't have any specific info myself (this decision was made about 10 years ago & I don't recall info on these illnesses) but I thought I'd suggest a place to look. My understanding is that Dr Sears book talks about each vaccine & the illnesses that they're expected to prevent. Have you read that book? IIRC, he is not anti vax. I've seen Kathy recommend the CDCs pink book.

Best wishes,
Sus
applejuice and Belle78 like this.
#3 of 5 Old 08-17-2014, 06:50 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
There is also a book by Aviva Jill Romm on vaccinations which covers each illness in detail. You might be able to find it at a public library. Also, if your library doesn't have a good book on vaccinations and the illnesses related to them, you can ask for an interlibrary loan. Libraries don't always advertise that they do this, but it is very helpful. You really are not limited to your local library's collection, you can draw from a huge pool.

In Vermont I can borrow from the State Dept. of Libraries, most public libraries, the State College System, other colleges and two universities. And of course they can all borrow from my little library, and they do. I borrow two or three books a week and usually send out 4 or 5.
applejuice and Belle78 like this.
#4 of 5 Old 08-18-2014, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Talking

HiB: It is what is suppose to cause meningitis, throat infections and lung infections. It is a bacteria so the question remains, since Hib live naturally in all of us but can (so they say) cause problems sometimes. If you arm yourself with knowledge of good bacteria, how to keep them balanced in your body: I have no fear of these diseases at all.

For Example: Lets take an ear ache.
Diseases are labelled by what symptoms they cause, which obviously results in a big problem for anyone who thinks logically:

How many different “pathogens” cause otitis media? Lots.
And how many different diseases besides otitis media does pneumococcus cause? Lots.
How often does Pneumococcus cause serious disease in relation to mild disease. Very very rarely.
Most people carry Strep Pneumo as a normal commensal and never get sick from it at all.
There's too much "overlap" in terms of accurate diagnosis.

This makes me ask: is it the Hib? Is it the cause of this? Is it something else but is just a small reason. So many questions to ask!

So you know what to look for: as you will see, the vax covers very very little.
The types of Meningitis:
  • Amoebic meningitis: caused by amoeba in thermal hot pools.
  • Aseptic meningitis: causes include connective tissue diseases, systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), Behcet’s disease, drugs, toxins, antibiotics, non-steroidal anti-inflammatories, and other types of medications.
  • Bacterial meningitis: caused by a bacterial infection.
  • Cryptococcal meningitis: primarily in immunosuppressed people e.g. HIV, caused by infection from Blastomyces dermatitidis, and another yeast called Cryptococcus found in soil and bird droppings. To most people it is not normally a problem.
  • Meningococcal meningitis: caused by several different types of bacteria called Neisseria meningitides. Commonly called meningococcal disease. Types: A,B, C,W, Y. It is carried by around 20% of people most of the time, with types varying. Most people exposed to the bacteria never get ill.
  • Neoplastic meningitis: is caused by the spread of solid tumours to the brain or spinal cord.
  • Parasitic meningitis: Toxoplasmosis
  • Streptococcus Pneumonaie: A bacterial form of meningitis, which has become much more common after the use of the Hib vaccine.
  • Syphilitic meningitis: (sometimes called aseptic) caused by infection with the bacterium that causes syphilis.
  • Tuberculous meningitis: caused by tuberculosis infection, and left untreated may cause brain damage.
  • Viral meningitis: primarily caused by echo or enteroviruses, and is most common in children. It can sometimes be a complication of childhood diseases such as chickenpox, mumps, herpes simplex etc .
Hi! I am also going to just post a bunch of links and see where it takes you.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17516405
In this study over a six year period (2000-2006) researchers came to the conclusion that:
In addition to the proportional increase in cases of nontype b Haemophilus influenzae disease in the post H. influenzae type b vaccine era, the incidence of invasive H. influenzae disease was found to be approaching the rates of H. influenzae type b disease that were documented in the prevaccine period. Fifty-six percent of invasive disease now occurs in individuals aged >10 years.

Here, I found a place that has all kinds of links that I do. Hope this might help:
http://insidevaccines.com/wordpress/...ines-work/hib/

The website links you directly to the studies. That is helpful.

Also there is this: http://insidevaccines.com/wordpress/...cines/#more-16
That link will take you to two more pages. It is also a good read.

This is another link from someone else asking similar questions, check out all the links.
http://www.mothering.com/community/t...ph-and-prevnar

I am not sure that really answers your question... but it might lead you down some fun pathways to figure out what your asking.

S

DS-14

DS-14      

DD-9

DD-3

"Those who are afraid retreat.
Those who are brave grow greater.
Never fear, always grow."

Sun Tzu

#5 of 5 Old 08-20-2014, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thank you, everyone! I feel like I have so many questions. I have enough answers (and personal experience with your first child) to know that we don't want to vaccinate but still so much to learn. I feel like there is just so much information out there. You guys are great!
applejuice likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page