Do you think peds are getting more refusals? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 03-17-2008, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
...since the whole Poling story broke? I mean, I know they were really careful with the wording--that Hannah had an underlying disorder and has "symptoms of autism," not really "autism." But I know so many people now who used to think I was crazy who are now questioning vaxes. My most pro-vax friend is now delaying and splitting the MMR.

I just wonder what kind of reaction I'll get the next time I refuse shots for my kids. More vehement, since their numbers are probably going down? Or maybe they'll be less shocked since more people are refusing/delaying?

I have to take my 2-year-old and my almost 5-year-old sometime soon for their school physicals. We stopped vaccinating almost 2 years ago after my 3.5 year old nephew became autistic (or developed autism-like symptoms, depending on your beliefs--not intending to turn this into a debate or anything!) overnight from rabies shots and of course the ped looked at me like I was crazy..."There is no link between autism and vaccines blah blah blah blah blah." Of course, now that I've researched vaccines and diseases, I know there is more to fear than just neurological damage.
applejuice likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 03-18-2008, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I’m not sure. I think as someone mentioned on another thread that it’s a fad right now to not vaccinate because of “that autism thing”. I don’t talk about vaccines with my pediatrician so I have no idea if more and more are refusing in his practice. I really hope more parents are refusing. Wouldn’t that be great?
applejuice likes this.
#3 of 17 Old 03-18-2008, 02:07 PM

rabies shots? Your nephew had to rabies shots? How scary.

On topic, I have no idea how much of an impact is being made. I'm pretty out of the loop since I don't have any friends or family with young kids right now.
applejuice likes this.
#4 of 17 Old 03-18-2008, 02:15 PM

I think the tide was changing way before that story, (CDC was already putting out their fear-mongering stuff) but now, it's quite possible. I have a feeling though once it leaves the spotlight....things will go back to where they were, docs will do damage control, life will go on until the next big story.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#5 of 17 Old 03-19-2008, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
rabies shots? Your nephew had to rabies shots? How scary.

On topic, I have no idea how much of an impact is being made. I'm pretty out of the loop since I don't have any friends or family with young kids right now.
The scariest part is that my son had them too. They were playing out in the yard and found a rabid bat. My mom put it in the freezer, the health dept. came to get it, and it tested positive. They recommended the boys have shots. I knew NOTHING about vaccines and it was those shots that opened my eyes. I started reading anything and everything I could get my hands on.

I am so haunted by the whole experience. It makes me sick to my stomach if I allow myself to really think about it. But if the boys hadn't had those rabies shots, we would never have read anything, and they would have gone to their next checkups and gotten, all in one day:

DTaP
CP
MMR
Polio
Flu
Possibly HepA

I am pretty sure that combo would have triggered my nephew's symptoms, if the rabies shots hadn't. And my dd would have continued being vaxed, as well as my other nephew. In a weird way, the bat was a blessing.
applejuice likes this.
#6 of 17 Old 03-20-2008, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQMama View Post
The scariest part is that my son had them too. They were playing out in the yard and found a rabid bat. My mom put it in the freezer, the health dept. came to get it, and it tested positive. They recommended the boys have shots. I knew NOTHING about vaccines and it was those shots that opened my eyes. I started reading anything and everything I could get my hands on.

I am so haunted by the whole experience. It makes me sick to my stomach if I allow myself to really think about it. But if the boys hadn't had those rabies shots, we would never have read anything, and they would have gone to their next checkups and gotten, all in one day:

DTaP
CP
MMR
Polio
Flu
Possibly HepA

I am pretty sure that combo would have triggered my nephew's symptoms, if the rabies shots hadn't. And my dd would have continued being vaxed, as well as my other nephew. In a weird way, the bat was a blessing.
If you don't mind me asking, what reasearch did you do about rabies vaccines? I have done EXTENSIVE research on all the childhood vaccs on the "mandatory schedule" (My favorite phrase in the world ) but have not come accross anything on rabies. We have a bit of a raccoon problem in my area, so if you can provide any links, that would be great. Thanks in advance!
applejuice likes this.
#7 of 17 Old 03-20-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanidFL View Post
I’m not sure. I think as someone mentioned on another thread that it’s a fad right now to not vaccinate because of “that autism thing”.
Its a fad right now? I had no idea.
applejuice likes this.
#8 of 17 Old 03-25-2008, 04:03 AM

I had 2 emails from moms in my old moms group who were asking about info on vaxes and not vaxing/exemptions, etc. It completely floored me...but since they heard of this court case and the autism link (which isn't autism, per se, but autistic tendencies). I give them the info and move on.

I think more people are starting to really become aware of the problems. They didn't think there was a problem before...but now are realizing there was a problem and it was just being successfully covered up. I had heard some fully vaxing mamas talking about the "SIDS" deaths in UT (?) where the 3 babies died right after shots...and then the court case and were saying they are stopping the vaxes for now and researching more.

I was very happy to hear that. I don't think it's a "fad" as much as it is an eye-opener. That maybe the vaxes aren't as safe as they were being made out to be. But, whatever it is...I'm glad more and more people are becoming aware of it.
applejuice likes this.
#9 of 17 Old 03-31-2008, 06:48 PM

I'm on a mainstream birthclub board and theres about 150+ of us on there and only 3 of us aren't vaccinating. A lot of people are 'uncomforterable' with them but see it as their 'civic duty' to vax So, IME I don't think so. People will get all hyped up to not vax and go to their WB and get talked into it. I know I've been 'talked into it' or very close to being. Still no vax's here, but there would be if I wasn't so informed on the topic!

Danielle*
applejuice likes this.

Danielle, wife to John, mama to Valley9.24.07
expecting our miracle babies around 5.12.10- praying that baby B grows healthy and strong!
#10 of 17 Old 04-01-2008, 12:11 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I am not vaxed and I am old. I had classmates who wore leg braces from polio.

I am old enough to be a grandma. It certainly seems trendy now to at least question vaccinations.

I never tell anyone what to do regarding vaccination except I do tell any enquiring, intelligent parent to do their own research so that they can make the decision that they can live with, because, truth to tell, they will live with that decision, not the doctor or CDC.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#11 of 17 Old 04-01-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle13 View Post
I'm on a mainstream birthclub board and theres about 150+ of us on there and only 3 of us aren't vaccinating. A lot of people are 'uncomforterable' with them but see it as their 'civic duty' to vax So, IME I don't think so. People will get all hyped up to not vax and go to their WB and get talked into it. I know I've been 'talked into it' or very close to being. Still no vax's here, but there would be if I wasn't so informed on the topic!

Danielle*
Yes I see this....and I agree with you. There's so much fear and paranoia out there, and docs are very persuasive.
applejuice likes this.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#12 of 17 Old 04-02-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
I'm on a mainstream birthclub board and theres about 150+ of us on there and only 3 of us aren't vaccinating.
That's 2%. The rough estimates I've seen say that about 1% of US kids aren't vaccinated, and when you add in the parents who start vaccinating and then stop, that really starts to add up. That's a WAY higher number than the folks responsible for vaccination programs would be comfortable with.
applejuice likes this.
#13 of 17 Old 04-02-2008, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Where I live, Boulder CO, is renown for low vax rates, because of its alternative, educated population. I don't know for sure, but I would guess that the majority of children at both my two youngest (and unvaxed) children's schools -- one is a Shambhala Buddhist inspired contemplative elementary school and the other is a free/democratic school, will be selectively vaxed, so have only had the, for example DTaP (worried about tetanus) or IPV (). Many are on a delayed schedule and do eventually catch up. Only a handful would have had the CP though. This is not a new phenomenon by any means here. I have heard the statistic that 40% of Boulder's children are either unvaxed or undervaxed. I have always wanted to do an informal survey amongst the parents, but feel it is a little too pushy. It would be interesting to compare the rate of autism among Boulder's children compared to the rest of the country.
applejuice likes this.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#14 of 17 Old 04-02-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle13 View Post
A lot of people are 'uncomforterable' with them but see it as their 'civic duty' to vax

Danielle*
Ahhh yes…the old civic duty to vax. I had one mom tell me it’s not fair that she has to vax her kids and I don’t just because I don’t like the ingredients. It’s my duty to vax don’t you know :
applejuice likes this.
#15 of 17 Old 04-02-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanidFL View Post
Ahhh yes…the old civic duty to vax. I had one mom tell me it’s not fair that she has to vax her kids and I don’t just because I don’t like the ingredients. It’s my duty to vax don’t you know :
And who's twisting her arm making her vax?!?!?
applejuice likes this.

#16 of 17 Old 04-02-2008, 08:01 PM

I just did a WBC today w/ dd and one of the nurses there told me that she has a "couple" friends who have recently started saying they aren't going to vax their kids (new moms) and she's had several new families in the past 4 months who don't vax. It may just be that since the doc is pretty cool about not vaxing, they're jus collecting all the kids in the area...
applejuice likes this.
#17 of 17 Old 04-02-2008, 10:14 PM

My son had his 2 month well child visit, and the ped said she has seen more mothers within this past year refuse vaccines!
applejuice likes this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page