Has anyone else gotten back the new TX forms? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 03-20-2008, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got mine back today.

They have a new "insert" which lists the benefits of vaccination AND has a section you have to sign acknowledging that you are aware of the RISKS of NOT vaccinating.

This hasn't been on there before has it?? It's been about 2 yrs since I got my last one so....

This new form SUCKS!
#2 of 18 Old 03-20-2008, 10:23 PM

Oh wow. Well, mine are from about a year ago and I'd have to go check to be sure...but I don't remember any of that.

The only thing that sounds vaguely familiar is that there was a list of what each vaccine was for and what the disease is like. I certainly don't remember signing something saying I understood the risks though.

Hmmmm :

Kim, Wife to Michael, Homeschooling Mom to Hannah (13), Aidan (12), Brighton (8), and Oliver (5) and Ephraim (2) goorganic.jpgsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIF 
#3 of 18 Old 03-21-2008, 03:11 PM

Great
I have to get one for my 4yo to go to PreK in the fall.
#4 of 18 Old 03-22-2008, 10:32 AM

I'm just going to cross out anything about risk.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#5 of 18 Old 03-22-2008, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

I was just coming on to ask that. The forms have to be notarized...should I cross the section out before I get to the notary or while they're sitting there?? Will they still notarize it if it's crossed out beforehand??

I know that sounds weird, but I was thinking about it last night.
#6 of 18 Old 03-22-2008, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm actually okay (presuming the wording isn't way weird) with saying there are risks to not vaccinating. I think there are. But I think the risks of vaccinating outweigh the risks of not vaccinating. If the wording is the same as the little form in the past (I think the official form just said we'd read the risk insert), then it wasn't outrageous.
#7 of 18 Old 03-22-2008, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

This is what it says (not outrageous but I'm considering liability for the future as well):

Quote:
I have read and I understand the attached Benefits and Risks of Vaccination information. I understand the risks of not vaccinating my child. I further understand that my child may be excluded from school attendance in times of emergency or epidemic declared by the commissioner of public health.
#8 of 18 Old 03-23-2008, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is there an additional signature on the notarized form, or an additional form? Because I think the forms I got in Aug 06 said something very similar, maybe identical? I'm in an apartment with most of my stuff packed up, I have no idea where our forms are now, so I can't easily check.

Understand doesn't really mean agree with, though (not sure from a legal perspective), but you have to be comfortable with what you're signing of course.
#9 of 18 Old 03-23-2008, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

No..no additional form...it's just been about 2 yrs since I've requested one and I swear the other one didn't have the section about risks on it?!?!

Of course, I could be totally wrong.

What concerns me is that I don't want to sign (and have notarized) a form that basically says I am knowingly putting my child at risk.
#10 of 18 Old 03-23-2008, 11:27 PM

The ones from about 4 years ago did have that statement & came with the extra page with disease info.
#11 of 18 Old 03-23-2008, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Well, shoot...guess I'm totally wrong.

I'd only requested the forms once before since we've only been in TX for a couple of years...I didn't know to request extras, so when I got these new ones I couldn't for the life of me remember if they had that extra sheet and the "spiel" that I had to sign off on.

Hmm.
#12 of 18 Old 03-23-2008, 11:55 PM

I didn't really remember that part either - I just pulled mine out & looked at them. I'm sure it's something the state's attorneys had them add in.
#13 of 18 Old 04-22-2008, 08:24 PM

Those of you from TX will probably know the answer to this...Is it necessary to file forms for no vaxing if you are planning to homeschool. I don't plan to send my lo to daycare or to school. Is there any reason beyond that to file forms?
#14 of 18 Old 04-22-2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyaW View Post
Those of you from TX will probably know the answer to this...Is it necessary to file forms for no vaxing if you are planning to homeschool. I don't plan to send my lo to daycare or to school. Is there any reason beyond that to file forms?
No. They are only for school or daycare. There's no one to file them with if you're homeschooling.

-Angela
#15 of 18 Old 04-25-2008, 12:52 AM

My almost 5yo ds is headed to K this fall and I got his exemption form notarized a couple of days ago. The form itself, I got last year when my now 6yo ds started K - you can ask for 5 forms for each child, so I did. They ahve to be renewed every 2 years, so we're covered for the next, oh, 10 years or so, lol.

If you're feeling off about it, you can always draft an additional document listing the risks of vaccinating and explaining your decision a bit, have that notarized with the ex form and a notation that the drafted letter must accompany the ex form. I don't know the 'legalities' of doing it that way, but it's worth a shot.

~h tea6.gif
wife to shamrocksmile.gifShamrocks (8-8-99)
slightly crunchy homeschooling AP mama to biggrinbounce.gifLittleBoyBlue(2001) & goldfish.gifPeaGreen(2003)
angel.gifmissing our babe (6/2009)
fly-by-nursing2.giffamilybed2.gif novaxnocirc.gif  mdcblog5.gif
#16 of 18 Old 04-25-2008, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InstinctiveMom View Post
My almost 5yo ds is headed to K this fall and I got his exemption form notarized a couple of days ago. The form itself, I got last year when my now 6yo ds started K - you can ask for 5 forms for each child, so I did. They ahve to be renewed every 2 years, so we're covered for the next, oh, 10 years or so, lol.

If you're feeling off about it, you can always draft an additional document listing the risks of vaccinating and explaining your decision a bit, have that notarized with the ex form and a notation that the drafted letter must accompany the ex form. I don't know the 'legalities' of doing it that way, but it's worth a shot.
Just a note, that with the TX forms it's not really a good idea to notarize that far ahead. Now your forms will expire 2yrs from when they were notarized- leaving you in two years having to run out and get a new one notarized before the school year is finished.

-Angela
#17 of 18 Old 04-25-2008, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Just a note, that with the TX forms it's not really a good idea to notarize that far ahead. Now your forms will expire 2yrs from when they were notarized- leaving you in two years having to run out and get a new one notarized before the school year is finished.

-Angela
Oh, they're not - I just "have" them so that I'm not scrambling to get new ones every time I need them. I'll wait till they need to be renewed before getting the new one notarized

~h tea6.gif
wife to shamrocksmile.gifShamrocks (8-8-99)
slightly crunchy homeschooling AP mama to biggrinbounce.gifLittleBoyBlue(2001) & goldfish.gifPeaGreen(2003)
angel.gifmissing our babe (6/2009)
fly-by-nursing2.giffamilybed2.gif novaxnocirc.gif  mdcblog5.gif
#18 of 18 Old 04-25-2008, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InstinctiveMom View Post
Oh, they're not - I just "have" them so that I'm not scrambling to get new ones every time I need them. I'll wait till they need to be renewed before getting the new one notarized
But you notarized one now, for next year, right? That's what I was referring to...

-Angela

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page