You know what I want? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-24-2008, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want a book (I may make my own) of each disease/sickness that we currently vaccinate against. I feel that if my kids get sick, it will increasingly be up to me to diagnose it, because doctors haven't even seen half of these things like "mumps."

I have heard of doctors who dont even know how to diagnose cpx!

Does anyone have anything like this?

Man, how many things do we vax against these days?
#2 of 13 Old 03-24-2008, 10:48 AM

Tell me when you find that book or make it. I am looking for that type of book too. I have a 'Smart Medicine' book DS ped recommended but I want something more on the natural/home remedies side and explain how each disease starts off and pictures of it.
#3 of 13 Old 03-24-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transformed View Post

That would be an interesting book. I haven't heard of one.

Single mom of 2 boys
#4 of 13 Old 03-24-2008, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Are you looking for a book on just the diagnosis or treatment too? I think Aviva Jill Romm’s vaccine book does a pretty good job talking about the symptoms of each disease we vaccinate against. She has some treatment options in her book too.

I have kind of made my own binder with each disease. It has tabs and the first page is “signs and symptoms” then I include articles on how to treat the disease.

Quote:
HepB
Rotavirus
Diptheria
Tetanus
Pertussis
Hib
Pneumococcal
Polio
Flu
Measles
Mumps
Rubella
Varicella
HepA
Meningococcal
#5 of 13 Old 03-24-2008, 04:44 PM

"How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of Your Doctor" by Dr. Robert Mendelsohn talks about how to recognize and deal with most VAD's. (Some of the information about other things is out of date though... the book was written in 1984)
applejuice likes this.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#6 of 13 Old 03-25-2008, 03:06 PM

I'm in the middle of reading Romm's Vaccines book (as recommended by posters on this site) and it goes into pretty good detail on the diseases & what to look for etc. It was also recommended to get her other book, "Naturally Healthy Babies And Children", which sounds like what you're looking for - I've ordered it online but haven't read it yet.
#7 of 13 Old 03-26-2008, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

very cool. Lots of great ideas. I NEED to get Mendlsons book for sure...I keep forgetting to order it!

We need a more extensive selection at our crappy library! Maybe I'll go talk those ladies into ordering some new books!
#8 of 13 Old 03-26-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanidFL View Post
Are you looking for a book on just the diagnosis or treatment too? I think Aviva Jill Romm’s vaccine book does a pretty good job talking about the symptoms of each disease we vaccinate against. She has some treatment options in her book too.

I have kind of made my own binder with each disease. It has tabs and the first page is “signs and symptoms” then I include articles on how to treat the disease.
VERY good idea.

intactivist.gifwinner.jpg fambedsingle2.gif  learning.gif homeschool.gif buddamomimg1.png gd.gif delayedvax.gif selectivevax.gif  supermod.gif (Yeah right)

angel3.gif loss 2/28/03           photosmile2.gif  ds 1/5/08             asl.gif dd 2/8/10

When we know better, we do better. ~Maya Angelou 

#9 of 13 Old 03-26-2008, 05:15 PM

I have this book. http://www.amazon.com/Take-Charge-Yo...6562419&sr=8-1 I found that it went into great detail what each disease was like and how to identify them. I know it mentions treatments as well.

But I know what you're saying. I would love a book dedicated ONLY to diagnosing and naturally treating VPD's. If you ever write one, let me know.

Kim, Wife to Michael, Homeschooling Mom to Hannah (13), Aidan (12), Brighton (8), and Oliver (5) and Ephraim (2) goorganic.jpgsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIF 
#10 of 13 Old 03-29-2008, 07:51 PM

How would you ever keep up? They are adding more and more vaccines to the schedule.

But you know what, most things kids get are not in any vaccine. They are generally fevers due to some unknown virus. A child probably encounters 10-12 different viruses every year up to age 7 or thereabouts.

Most "VPD" are not that common. And if a child does get one, they are like all other viral infections. Some immunity to VPD kids may even get asymptomatically.

Every virus requires pretty much the same treatment: rest, fluid, SA, CLO, TLC, darkened room if the eyes are sore, or if not, some TV,
#11 of 13 Old 03-29-2008, 11:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by transformed View Post
very cool. Lots of great ideas. I NEED to get Mendlsons book for sure...I keep forgetting to order it!

We need a more extensive selection at our crappy library! Maybe I'll go talk those ladies into ordering some new books!
Here is how to get librarians to get the books you want.

First, start visiting the library regularly and check out a fair quantity of books. Get to know the people who work there and establish friendly relations. If you can afford it become a member of the local "Friends" group by making a small contribution. If you've already done all this, then move directly to the second step--

Find out who handles interlibrary loans and start asking for books on the topics that interest you. Don't just turn in the form, make an opportunity to chat with the person who does the ordering and explain that the collection isn't meeting your needs and that is why you are ordering so many books. If you have a couple of like-minded friends who can join in this activity, so much the better. In addition to books on natural health care for children you can ask for books on other topics that interest you and your friends: breastfeeding, natural childbirth, attachment parenting, cloth diapering.

After you've done five or six interlibrary loan requests, write a letter to the library director, listing the books you've had to order via ILL and say something like this:

Quote:
I really appreciate my local library, but I've noticed that the collection is a bit lacking in books on a, b and c topics. Here are the books I've had to order via ILL lately. I'd greatly appreciate it if you would add some books in these areas to the collection.
If you can manage to include a small donation check with your letter it wouldn't hurt.

At my library I'm pretty easy. If someone comes in asking for a book about this or that I'll order it if I can possibly afford it. The only time I say no is if the book is on a very narrow topic--we just don't have room for really specialized material. I really love interlibrary loans though. It makes up for the tiny size of the library. Our collection is as big as the state
#12 of 13 Old 03-30-2008, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

I Deborah!

you always have the good info!
#13 of 13 Old 03-30-2008, 05:36 PM

I have Aviva Jill Romm's "Naturally Healthy Babies And Children" and it fits your criteria. I also have "How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of Your Doctor" but wish is was more up to date. My favorite part is his book is the chapter on fevers though. I like Aviva's book much better as she has a bunch of natural treatment remedies for every ailment.

Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
Mom to Conner (8/19/03) and Parker (5/23/09)::::

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page