Finding a compatible pediatrician - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 04-03-2008, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so my twins are 2 weeks old and we're on the fence between no vax and selective vax. We talked about our leanings with our ped (we have time to decide) and she said they'd have to kick us out if we chose no vaxes. Sad thing is we love her. How can I go about finding another pediatrician we love just as much who won't pressure us to vax? Are there any websites that have no-vaxing friendly peds? The one on Dr. Sears' website isn't near us. I figured living in a big city there has to be at least one in the city, right? Please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 04-03-2008, 10:08 AM

I had the same problem. Fortunatly for me, I was getting to the point where I wasnt liking my Ped anyway, so it was a really good time for a change. ALl I did was get a list of doctors who accepted my insurance in my area, and then started calling around to see who would accept patients who dont vax. Alot of the small private practises were bewildered by the question, like "Why wouldnt you vax?" But the bigger practises were just like, "Sure, just sign a waiver, thats all. We have lots of parents who choose not to vax." Chances are, they wont condone it, but they wont bully you either. My new Ped is very nice. She says she fully vaxes her son, but not vaxing is souly my choice.

Hang in there, you are not alone , and God knows you are not the first with this problem.
#3 of 18 Old 04-03-2008, 10:20 AM

Yes if you live in a big city I think it should be easier. Well there should be more options anyway. Finding one that you love and who is ok with your choice may be a little harder. I just switched to a new ped myself and although he is super cool with not vaxing, he is very authoritarian and thinks that my kids need to learn how to "fit into society" and stuff like that. I'm trying to decide if not getting bullied about vaxes is worth the value differences. I'd love a family practitioner because I understand that most don't stick their noses in about how you parent in general but I am not in a big city and haven't been able to locate one.
Anyway maybe try posting in the Find Your Tribe forum (look for the subforum for your particular area). Good luck!
#4 of 18 Old 04-03-2008, 05:30 PM

Try posting in the "Finding Your Tribe" area as well...that was where I got my ped recommendations after leaving 2 practices.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#5 of 18 Old 04-03-2008, 11:38 PM

I know I'm a crazy hippie, but now that I'm not vaccinating, I see no need to go to the pediatrician. If the kid ever got sick, maybe I'd go. MAYBE. Depending on what he had.

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living
#6 of 18 Old 04-04-2008, 01:15 PM

We've been through three pediatricians and now we are finally with a family practice doctor who also happens to be a DAN doctor. He's an M.D. and Fellow of the AAP yet he aboslutely believes vaccines can cause autism, autoimmune problems, allergies, etc.). So refreshing. I found him through our local holisticmoms.org group. My son had a reaction to his vaxes and even then, one ped. said she could no longer be our dr. if we stopped vaxing. The AAP has even stated recently that this practice of kicking non or delaying vaxers out of their practices should stop.

Also, if you are presented with a form to sign at the peds office, read it carefully. The AAP has just come out with a revised one, but the old one is basically admitting you are aware of the dangers of not vaxing and you are choosing not to anyway BS. It's probably still widely used. I would either write in that you are aware of the risks OF vaxing and you are choosing not to or write your own statement completely. There are a few good sites that have templates for this. One is www.vaclib.org/legal/donotsign.htm.

Hope you find the best doctor for your precious babies soon!
#7 of 18 Old 04-04-2008, 05:35 PM

Hello all,

We had a traditional pediatrician who was lukewarm regarding our decision not to vaccinate. I found a naturopath who also take peds patients and she has been very wonderful. We found her on the AANP web site, if you haven't checked there already, perhaps you might find someone? Good luck in your search.
#8 of 18 Old 04-05-2008, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Consider a family practitioner. Often (but obviously not always) they're more willing to respect a parent's right to choose medical care for their child. And before you make a visit, it's ok to call and ask like a pp mentioned. I did that and ended up at an office that was perfectly fine with my choices--not even any flak from the nurse (I think he liked not giving shots). FYT may have ideas, or see if there's an online AP group, like a yahoo group, for your area. Or if you have a chiropractor (or a friend does) you may get a recommendation there.
#9 of 18 Old 04-06-2008, 12:18 AM

I had to switch because of the heat I was getting but I am glad I left. I am at a new place and it has never came up. I never switched records and only take the kids to sick appts. I waited until they were sick and they were seen as a new patient. The practice said this is the way they do things. I never had to go to a well visit. I have two little ones and they fortunately have only been for an ear infection and allergy/ virus. They are not going to ask you about vaxing because they will be treating a specific problem. They are always busy you know how it is. I don't do well visits. I agree with the other mom about staying awqy from the Dr. unless you have to go. You could always go to an immediate care type place if you had to and then I would always lie. Just stand up for what you know is right if push comes to shove. I also know of a Dr. in my area that see unvaxed kidds with a waiver but it is a drive. I found out about it from another non vaxing mom at my church. Our non vaxing numbers are growing . I also made excuses at my old place but they got on me and said vax or leave and I happily left. My kids have been very healthy. You are not alone in this type of thing.
#10 of 18 Old 04-06-2008, 05:55 PM

If your not in a state that allows naturopaths to practice as primary physicians, you might be able to find a good osteopath. Thats who we see, he personally delays vaccinations with his children but doesn't care what we choose to do. If all else fails just go through the phone book. If you aren't vaccinating, you really don't need to see a ped on a regular basis anyhow (IMO).

Tiffany partner to Charlie and Mama to DS Ciaran (1/08) and DS Finnian (4/11)
Adding a third in July!

#11 of 18 Old 04-06-2008, 07:27 PM

Interesting thread here which pertains to the conversation -

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...6&page=1&pp=20
#12 of 18 Old 04-07-2008, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

I'm new to Mothering (in fact I only joined to read this discussion about vaxes). Can someone point me in the right direction to the find you tribe section? I can't find it.
#13 of 18 Old 04-07-2008, 06:48 PM

Towards the top of the board under the first section of forums.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#14 of 18 Old 04-16-2008, 02:58 AM

We see an osteopath - I guess he could be considered our family doctor. I was anticipating the pro-vaccination argument for my almost-five-year-old, went in with my books and backup, and nearly fell off my chair when he said he doesn't do vaccinations, and doesn't believe in them. He has been practicing for over 20 years, his nurse has also, and they both said that people without vaccinations are healthier and happier. He told us that if we wanted vaccinations, we could get them from his PA, but the MD wouldn't administer them. I feel fortunate to have found him (we're in NM).
#15 of 18 Old 04-16-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmock View Post
We see an osteopath - I guess he could be considered our family doctor. I was anticipating the pro-vaccination argument for my almost-five-year-old, went in with my books and backup, and nearly fell off my chair when he said he doesn't do vaccinations, and doesn't believe in them. He has been practicing for over 20 years, his nurse has also, and they both said that people without vaccinations are healthier and happier. He told us that if we wanted vaccinations, we could get them from his PA, but the MD wouldn't administer them. I feel fortunate to have found him (we're in NM).
Imagine that! A LISCENSED PHYSICIAN who doesnt believe in vaxxing. And here Ive been told all doctors support vaxxing. Hmmmmm, sounds like someone decided not to drink the punch in med school........
#16 of 18 Old 04-17-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpeppers View Post
I know I'm a crazy hippie, but now that I'm not vaccinating, I see no need to go to the pediatrician. If the kid ever got sick, maybe I'd go. MAYBE. Depending on what he had.
I decided the same thing. Somehow I survived without well baby visits. When I would take my kids to well visits I always felt like they got sick from the doctors office! I may also feel this way because I find all the doctor can ever do is give my child an antibiotic and we tend to do alternative medicine for that anyway. I do have 5 kids, I may not have felt this way on my first. For now I found a family doctor that sees infants to adults. The office doesn't vax because they are not pediatricians. I just know in the back of my mind that if my kids get sick and they were just not getting better I could just take them there. Because they don't vax they never ask about shot records. That works for us.

LDS, natural birthing,, , mom to 6 super fun crazy kids!
#17 of 18 Old 04-18-2008, 01:27 PM

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AP_Doctor_Referral/

I'm a little late here but...I found this group when I was searching fr a new non-vax friendly dr. they have a file list of dr.s for A LOT of cities, almost everywhere.
There is also a lot of good AP/non-vax conversations.
#18 of 18 Old 04-22-2008, 12:57 PM

This article has ideas, some of which are already mentioned here

http://insidevaccines.com/wordpress/?p=88

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page