This is sooooo scary! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 04-07-2008, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am really worried now. The local news had a clip about "the deadly measles virus". There is ONE little girl with a confirmed case. I think that maybe I'll follow their advice and get my kids vaccinated. After all, they did say that "if your child is vaccinated there is no concern and they will not get sick with the deadly measles virus."
#2 of 32 Old 04-07-2008, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow that is scary!!! 1 more person and it's an outbreak
#3 of 32 Old 04-07-2008, 09:38 PM

What?! They actually said something to the effect of "if you get the vaccine you won't be in danger?" That's a flat out LIE- how do they get away with these things?!:
#4 of 32 Old 04-07-2008, 09:39 PM

Sad to say, that little girl either got the measles from her vax or if she's unvaxed, she got it from a recently vaxed child.

EVERYONE RUN FOR COVER!! There is a child who has measles!! heh
#5 of 32 Old 04-07-2008, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&D2005 View Post
What?! They actually said something to the effect of "if you get the vaccine you won't be in danger?" That's a flat out LIE- how do they get away with these things?!:
They most certainly did. The reporter said that parents of children who are vaccinated do NOT have to worry, their child is safe and will not contract measles. That is the biggest kicker to me. Maybe by tomorrow there will be something I can link to.
#6 of 32 Old 04-07-2008, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Here is a link to a written version. It is slightly different than what they stated on the news report.

Quote:
Those with measles immunizations needn't worry, doctors said, as the immunization is extremely effective.
I am on dial-up and cannot watch this, but for those who can, here is a link to a video. Maybe it's the one that I saw them play. If it's the same one, it is a reporter standing outside of Children's Hospital.
#7 of 32 Old 04-07-2008, 10:37 PM

Oh great- here goes the big hype to get your kid the MMR and not delay it like many main-stream parents are doing... fear sells! *gag*
#8 of 32 Old 04-07-2008, 10:43 PM

Gag.
#9 of 32 Old 04-08-2008, 10:55 AM

Fear Mongering at its best.

Anyone ever see that fourth Die Hard movie? Justin Long is HYSTERICAL. There is a scene where Bruce Willis is listening to the news on the radio, and Justin Long just sort of rolls his eyes. And Bruce Willis asks, "What? You have a problem with the news?" The rant Justin Long goes into is PRICELESS. "I have a BIG Godd**med problem with the news!!!! The news is deisigned to scare the ever loving crap out of you, so that you go out and buy all sorts of things you don't need!!!" COuldnt have said it better myself, Justin!

Sometimes movies make total sense if you just know what to look for.
#10 of 32 Old 04-08-2008, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

That is dang right! Very funny.
#11 of 32 Old 04-08-2008, 02:02 PM

There's an outbreak in AZ and they're recommending 6-12 month olds get the MMR! :

http://www.azdhs.gov/news/2008-all/m...ase3-31-08.pdf

Quote:
“Because of the greater vulnerability to severe disease in infants and very young children, we are recommending an accelerated schedule for vaccinating children.” A dose of vaccine is recommended between the ages of 6 and 12 months of age. As this will not create enough immunity to be long lasting, two subsequent doses are recommended, starting on the first birthday.
#12 of 32 Old 04-08-2008, 06:22 PM

What's an outbreak anymore? I have yet to figure out exactly what the magic number is that constitutes and outbreak.

I was under the impression that the MMR didn't start till 12-15 mos...when did 6-12 mos start?? Have I really been out of the loop that long?

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#13 of 32 Old 04-08-2008, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! The news is now saying that all the children who were around that child are being quarantined for two weeks. The state health department is overseeing cleaning of the two daycares that the child was at as well.
#14 of 32 Old 04-08-2008, 10:56 PM

Oh please.
I picked my kids up from my moms today and she was trippin out about the "outbreak" told me I cant take the kids to Milwaukee cause "its in the AIR!"
I told her I wanted them to get it..just for the shock value, I think she aged a good 10 years right before my eyes. ahh fearmongering at its best.
#15 of 32 Old 04-08-2008, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile7393 View Post
I was under the impression that the MMR didn't start till 12-15 mos...when did 6-12 mos start?? Have I really been out of the loop that long?
It's still 12-15 months on the schedule. No idea on the science behind the 6-12 month recommendation, but it's what they are doing to try to protect those too young to be vaccinated. These babies will end up with another dose 6-12 months later because the protection at an earlier age is "short-term"!
#16 of 32 Old 04-09-2008, 12:22 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
There was an article in our local paper today about a person with Measles passing through the local airport. It just said to check with your doctor if you get symptoms. NO mention of the vax. Though this is Seattle... http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...sbrief09m.html

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#17 of 32 Old 04-09-2008, 03:52 AM

Well, it DOES scare me, to be honest.

Measles can be very serious. No, not always. But sometimes.

Maybe I would be less worried if my baby were older, but he's only 10 months old.
#18 of 32 Old 04-09-2008, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

There's a news conference right now. There's a second case. The witchhunt just began.

ETA: The second case is an adult and PRE dates the child. According to them, in the case of measles, just one case constitutes an outbreak.
#19 of 32 Old 04-09-2008, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Putting on my tinfoil hat....

Methinks we'll see a push for most/all vaccines at birth. That way parents will never know what their child would have been like Before Vaccines.

No "normal" child to compare against = no vaccine-linked health issues / ASDs. Right?

Blessed Mama to 4 and expecting one more!
#20 of 32 Old 04-09-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbean View Post

Methinks we'll see a push for most/all vaccines at birth. That way parents will never know what their child would have been like Before Vaccines.

No "normal" child to compare against = no vaccine-linked health issues / ASDs. Right?
OMG...

*fashions her own tinfoil hat*

That. is a scary prospect... but... not completely unrealistic... even if they pushed them all to before 6 months there'd be a lot fewer milestones to "lose"... plus, it's in the SIDS timeframe, so deaths could easily be attributed to SIDS (not like they aren't already....)

:

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#21 of 32 Old 04-09-2008, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

I am curious to know if they would differentiate between measles and rubella. The push for vaccinating is for MMR which includes both. I could easily see them taking the measles part of German measles and running with it.
#22 of 32 Old 04-09-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbean View Post

I agree! I have said that before. How do we know WHO this little person could be before tinkering with the very delicate and intricate system that is developing?
#23 of 32 Old 04-09-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama View Post
There's a news conference right now. There's a second case. The witchhunt just began.

ETA: The second case is an adult and PRE dates the child. According to them, in the case of measles, just one case constitutes an outbreak.
*snort* Glad to know their criteria is so small....just like changing the dx criteria for spectrum illnesses, polio....lovely.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#24 of 32 Old 04-09-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:

I too, have thought about this. I wouldn't put it past them for a second!

Kim, Wife to Michael, Homeschooling Mom to Hannah (13), Aidan (12), Brighton (8), and Oliver (5) and Ephraim (2) goorganic.jpgsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIF 
#25 of 32 Old 04-09-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
What's an outbreak anymore? I have yet to figure out exactly what the magic number is that constitutes and outbreak.
The CDC says that an outbreak is 2 confirmed cases that contracted the disease from the same source.
#26 of 32 Old 04-10-2008, 02:47 PM

Me: Did you have measles when you were a kid?
MIL (the RN): Yes.
Me: And all your friends got it?
MIL: Yes.
Me: And did anybody die?
MIL: No. But your kids really should get the vaccine so they don't get sick, because all diseases are deadly. Measels is very deadly.
Me:

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#27 of 32 Old 04-10-2008, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfThePride View Post
Me: Did you have measles when you were a kid?
MIL (the RN): Yes.
Me: And all your friends got it?
MIL: Yes.
Me: And did anybody die?
MIL: No. But your kids really should get the vaccine so they don't get sick, because all diseases are deadly. Measels is very deadly.
Me:

I really wish we knew real details about those getting sick. I don't mean who they are, but I think if 'they' are going to flip out about (now) 4 cases of measles that it's worth knowing if they have pre-existing conditions and the like.

I have to be honest, I had a bad rash and felt like pure crap late last summer and was given steroids (which didn't work at all). It looked extremely similar to the measles pictures except it wasn't on my face. It makes me wonder what the possibility of mis diagnosis is with measles, missing it or it being something else.
#28 of 32 Old 04-10-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama View Post
: It makes me wonder what the possibility of mis diagnosis is with measles, missing it or it being something else.
The local news piece I saw mentioned that nurses and the like are all being "retrained" in recognizing the measles since it is so rare.
They showed pictures of children with measles....it freaked my 6yo out. He is really hoping he doesn't get it.

I started a thread (not realizing this one existed) with links to some of the public comments regarding the news articles. People were suggesting putting parents in jail for not vaccinating. A lot of it came down to inconveniencing parents since those quarantined have to do something else for child care, etc.

I don't really want my kids to get the measles, but I am not planning on running out and getting them a shot. I would be interested in the homeopathic options for preparing/treating if they should be exposed. There must be some good options available. I read on another post that Europe has been having large outbreaks and many are treating with homeopathics. Anyone have links to treatments?
#29 of 32 Old 04-13-2008, 04:18 AM

went searching and found this:

Homeopathic Options
Aconitum napellus

Sudden high fever with hot dry skin, pain in the eyes, strong thirst, and a fearful or panicky feeling are indications for this remedy. Symptoms often start near midnight, and may wake the person up.

Belladonna

Fever that comes on rapidly, with a red flushed face, hot skin, dilated eyes that are sensitive to light, and a throbbing headache that is worse from jarring are all indications for this remedy. The rash is red and may be hot to touch. Many children needing Belladonna have nightmares during fever and talk or cry out when apparently asleep.

Bryonia

This remedy can be indicated when the rash is slow to appear, and the chest is congested with a painful cough. The person's head hurts when coughing, and everything feels worse from motion, making the person want to stay completely still. Chills and shivering often come with fever, but warmth can make things worse. The person's mouth may be very dry, with a thirst for long cold drinks.

Euphrasia

When this remedy is indicated during measles, the eyes are swollen, streaming, and very sensitive to light. The tears can irritate the face, and the person's nose may run with a bland and watery discharge. Headache may intensify with fever. The person has chills, feels worse from warmth, and prefers to stay in a darkened room.

Gelsemium

A drowsy, lethargic feeling with fever, droopy eyes, and shaking chills running up and down the spine are strong indications for this remedy. The rash is itchy, hot, and dry. A headache that begins in the back of the head and neck is often seen when Gelsemium is needed.

Kali bichromicum

When this remedy is indicated in measles, cold symptoms worsen over time. Hoarseness, coughing up of stringy yellow mucus, earache, and sticky eyes may be seen. Symptoms can be worse in the morning, and the person feels best from staying in bed and keeping warm.

Pulsatilla

This remedy is often indicated when the rash is slow to develop and the symptoms of a cold are prominent. A stuffy nose producing yellowish mucus, a gagging cough (most often dry at night and loose in the morning), and plugging or inflammation in the ears are common. The person does not feel very thirsty, is worse from warmth and stuffy rooms, and improves in open air. People who need this remedy often want a lot of comforting and attention. (Pulsatilla is a very useful children's remedy.)

Rhus toxicodendron

An extremely itchy rash that feels better from applying heat may indicate a need for this remedy. The person is very restless, and may feel driven to get up and pace. Stiffness may be felt in all the muscles of the body, worse at night, from lying still in bed, and on waking in the morning. The person may have chills along with fever, and all symptoms are improved by warmth and motion.
#30 of 32 Old 04-13-2008, 06:54 AM

The article explains how measles is a usually uncomplicated illness that runs it course. Then I found paragraph 6 rather interesting.

http://wx.toronto.ca/inter/it/newsre...8?OpenDocument

So those who were unvaccinated before 1970 and have natural immunity are not at risk. Fine. So the current unvaccinated population is at risk for what? An illness that before 1970 people recovered from, generally without any treatment, and built a natural immunity to??? I'm not seeing the risk here.

And I was shocked to see that the pandemic they are referring to is 5 cases. In a city of over 2 million?

caffix.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page