tetanus vaccine during pregnancy - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-13-2008, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am getting attacked when I suggest that vaccinating pregnant women against tetanus in African countries is not the most productive use of $$$$ to help the situation there. I have pointed out that increasing sanitation measures (providing education about basic wound care/neonate umbilical cord care) and providing FOOD AND CLEAN DRINKING WATER would be much more beneficial to the malnourished mothers, babies and children there.... not to mention, save more lives....

But, no. Salma Hayek is saving mothers and babies !

Does anyone else not see the problem with investing huge amounts of money into pharmaceutical companies and their vaccines INSTEAD of using that money to improve sanitation and supply food to the malnourished ?

No less that the vaccine campaign Hayek is working for is funded by Pampers

Am I crazy here ?

Thoughts ?

-TDB
#2 of 3 Old 04-13-2008, 11:46 PM

ITA! your argument is perfectly logical to me!
i would assume the people that don't at least see your point (even if they don't agree with you) are probably a lost cause anyway!

but keep spreadin' the word, sister...the more people that think outside the box, the better...at least give them a little food for thought!

Adoring wife to my DH since 9/04, SAHM to biggrinbounce.gifDS(9/07)
stork-suprise.gif due 2/3/2011joy.gif
#3 of 3 Old 04-14-2008, 02:51 AM

I have always thought that Bill Gates's money would be better spent on water treatment and infrastructure development than on vaccines. Most of these diseases are caused by contaminated water, malnutrition, and living in close quarters. It's far easier to fix those three situations than it is to develop a vaccine for every disease that one can possibly contract.

It doesn't make any sense for pregnant women to be vaccinated at all. Is the concern that the children are going to die from neonatal tetanus? Because neonatal tetanus happens most often when cow dung or dirt is put on the umbilical cord stump to stop the bleeding.

I don't see how people can think vaccines are this panacea, and to push for money going to vaccines when the recipients don't even have enough to eat.

~ Robyn

Mom to Jackson, b. January 2006

and Cassandra, b. October 2011

weadopted.gif novaxnocirc.gif

http://chittisterchildren.wordpress.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page