What happens w/ college? What about laws changing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-16-2008, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok a few questions:

DS1 (2.5 yrs) has been vaxed up til 2 years. DS2 (2.5 mo) only had HepB at the hospital (which i wish I would have declined!)

1) What happens for college admissions? Can we use religious exemptions then? B?c I read something that said after high school its up to the colleges guidelines.

2) Also, with all the hype about vaccines and more people declining them, I'm worried that the gov't will change state laws (not allow certain exemptions etc>?) What happens if the laws change and we can't use an exemption? (Personally, I'm using a religious exemption)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2008, 11:05 AM

I can't help but think that stringent vaccine laws for college admissions could potentially lead to a catastrophic effect on the economy. Seriously...I know that sounds far fetched, but as time goes on, more and more info is getting to the majority about vaccine safety. Beyond that, more and more people are getting fed up with being told what to do every waking moment.

I think what colleges ought to do is get rid of the requirements of herding students into cramped buildings with limited bathroom facilites. Any place you have people practically (and literally sometimes ) sleeping on top of each other, you WILL have sickness.

However, it doesn't seem as though my ideas will be accepted by the general masses anytime soon, so I can only hope that your concerns don't become real life situations for our children. I am interested to hear what others think as well.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:23 AM

Most colleges that accept federal funding also have to accept exemptions.

I'm of the opinion that at that point, my DC can make up their own minds...if they want to be vaxxed before college, fine! If not, we'll see what we need to work out.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by attachedmamaof3 View Post
Most colleges that accept federal funding also have to accept exemptions.
My understanding is that ALL colleges that accept ANY federal funding (including student loans and grants) MUST accept a religious objection. Last I researched there was only one university that did not accept any federal funding.

-Angela
Old 04-16-2008, 07:09 PM

Hmm...I'll have to look into it...but I was thinking about private colleges or religious institutions....
Old 04-16-2008, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by attachedmamaof3 View Post
Hmm...I'll have to look into it...but I was thinking about private colleges or religious institutions....
Nearly all of which (except one last I checked ) accept federal loans and grants in the form of financial aid for students.

-Angela
Old 04-22-2008, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Nearly all of which (except one last I checked ) accept federal loans and grants in the form of financial aid for students.
There are plenty that don't. I started college at one of these universities. I however am going back to school in the nursing program and am using a religious exemption (though I have yet to see anything yet about vaxes outside of the TB test). Last time I applied I was supposed to have MMR (which I got last time, before I knew) and the Hep B (which I am getting this time).

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

Old 04-22-2008, 11:47 PM

I didn't have to show a single piece of paper regarding vaccines when I enrolled in college.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

Old 04-23-2008, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepeach80 View Post
There are plenty that don't. I started college at one of these universities. I however am going back to school in the nursing program and am using a religious exemption (though I have yet to see anything yet about vaxes outside of the TB test). Last time I applied I was supposed to have MMR (which I got last time, before I knew) and the Hep B (which I am getting this time).
Really? Last I searched there was only one... They don't accept federal student loans or pell grants?

-Angela
Old 04-23-2008, 01:02 AM

I completed both my undergraduate and graduate studies at urban public schools. These were commuter schools--no dormitories. The student population was quite diverse--all ages, nationalities, etc . . . I don't ever remember being asked to vaccinate as a prerequisite to my admission--it never came up.

Will that change? Maybe. But if in order to attend a school they try to dictate what I will and what I won't put into my body, I should hope that I would have raised my children in a way where that school would not even be one they'd want to consider.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
Old 04-23-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Really? Last I searched there was only one... They don't accept federal student loans or pell grants?
My parents had to foot the bill for my first 2 yrs w/ me working b/c I couldn't get any Stafford student loans. I'm thinking my other top choice originally would've been the same way. Yeah, I just looked it up so that's at least 2 in the US, lol.

I'm thinking I had to show I had the MMR when I first went to college, but I can't remember (that was 10 yrs ago). The only other time I've had to show it was when I got accepted to nursing school last (03). I've been to 5 schools now not counting that nursing school thing.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

Old 04-23-2008, 12:01 PM

I stand corrected then

-Angela

User Tag List