How do you handle books/shows for kids that address vaxing as a good thing? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 04-18-2008, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My kids LOVE the magic school bus and so do I. They really love "Inside Ralphy" and so do I, right up til the end where they talk about all the things you should do to stay healthy, including vaxing.

Last week my dd brings me a book in the docs waiting room, thats normal. I read it to her. It was all about Pooh and his friends getting thier vaccinations and how it barely hurts and is good for you. When I hit the moment I realized where it was going, my voice kinda caught and another parnet giggled, I think she recognized the issue and sympathized! I kinda stumbled through the rest, trying to NOT read the vax parts but that seemed to be the main thrust of the book.

Not that my kids WANT shots, but Im wondering if they will ever question this decision. Any thoughts?

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness
#2 of 13 Old 04-18-2008, 11:05 AM

I'm certainly no expert, but I wonder if you could treat it just as any other delicate subject, such as circ or sex. Meaning, just give them very basic info to begin with, general statements "your dad and I have decided that at this time [no shots for you because we have questions about them]...." and then as they get older/ask more questions you can go into more detail. Or maybe for things like the book you could say "your dad and I don't agree with...." and just make it a general statement? I don't know, do you think that would work?

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

#3 of 13 Old 04-18-2008, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I agree with Ophelia. Just explain in an age appropriate way that lots of doctors think that vaxes are good, but you have done a lot of research and don't feel that they are safe enough/work/ or whatever your reasoning is. You can go more into detail as your kiddos get older.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#4 of 13 Old 04-19-2008, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thats pretty much what we've done. Dd asked why docs give kids shots and I said because they think it will help them not get sick. she quickly said, but it doesnt, right? right? Right now, she just wants to avoid a shot! So until she is older, this will do. I guess Ill use that same basic idea for explaining homeschool too! (when other kids cant come over cuz thier in school, she wants to know"why?")

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness
#5 of 13 Old 04-19-2008, 03:37 AM

My dd has a book about Elmo going to the doctor. We read the book, but skip the vaccination parts. As she gets older and asks questions, I'll treat it like anything else. I'll tell her the truth about why we don't vaccinate.

-chelsea dust.gif
#6 of 13 Old 04-21-2008, 07:50 PM

I treat it the same way I treat commercials for McDonald's and other products we as a family find unacceptable. I let him know that some people feel this is good for you, and our family feels they are bad for you.

As he grows, there will be ample proof and reading material for him to see and understand why we made the decisions we have.
#7 of 13 Old 05-07-2008, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post
I agree with Ophelia. Just explain in an age appropriate way that lots of doctors think that vaxes are good, but you have done a lot of research and don't feel that they are safe enough/work/ or whatever your reasoning is. You can go more into detail as your kiddos get older.
Yep, that is basically what I do/did with DD. However, after our little chat about shots, she went to school and tried to tell all of her "kindergarden friends" that they shouldn't get shots because they were unhealthy for their bodies. In her words she "tried to tell them but they wouldn't listen!!!"

Then we had a talk about personal choices. LOL.
#8 of 13 Old 05-10-2008, 11:36 AM
EVC

Fortunately we haven't had to deal with this yet, but I know the exact Pooh book you are talking about! We actually have it at home

You know, it's actually not the books that worry me, it's all the "public service message" type campaigns where they say horrendous things like "My mommy got me vaxx'ed becuase she loves me"

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
#9 of 13 Old 05-10-2008, 02:23 PM

IIRC I usually just skipped over the worst propaganda and the stuff she was exposed to I would how we don't believe that, or we know better than that ect.
#10 of 13 Old 05-10-2008, 02:29 PM

We treat the "if you love me" propaganda, the same way we treat all the other ads on TV and such...It's all advertising and they are just looking to make $$. Just like the crappy breakfast cereals..and the stupid plastic toys.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#11 of 13 Old 05-11-2008, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm View Post
We treat the "if you love me" propaganda, the same way we treat all the other ads on TV and such...It's all advertising and they are just looking to make $$. Just like the crappy breakfast cereals..and the stupid plastic toys.
Quite true and a very good analogy.

Having grown up vax free myself and sitting, biting my tongue through science and health classes all through school, I have learned to keep my big mouth shut.

The thing that always bothered me growing up was the baby book memorabilia things that had a page for vaccination records. My mom always drew a big black X through the page and was done with it.
#12 of 13 Old 05-15-2008, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We haven't had this problem until today on Sesame Street one of the humans is studying to be a vet. She told Big Bird that "pets need to get shots just like people so that they don't get sick."

I just screamed, "Nooooooooo!!!!!!!!!" and scared the heck out of my 2 and 1 year-olds. Gut reaction. But I guess I believe they should approach the propaganda with the same force as an attacker from behind, lol. Kick and scream loudly and don't take it!
#13 of 13 Old 05-17-2008, 11:57 PM

DD knows that some people think they need vaccines keep to keep their body healthy, but that we think they don't actually keep people healthy most of the time. ("Most" because we reserve the right to change our minds in the future should something change and we don't want DD to have to be confused if we've told her they were always bad, always unnecessary, etc.) We do get keep our animals rabies vaxed, because I don't ever want to have to worry about that in the unlikely event one of them ever bites someone. DD knows we vaccinate the animals for rabies "so they can't ever give it to people".

I think it's like any other thing that people disagree with us about. I just explain that we disagre and tell her why. It's working so far. She's 4.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page