Religious exemption question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-22-2008, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We currently live in MS where they do not offer any real exemptions. They say they have a medical exemption but they are hard to get no matter how many docs state that it is necessary. We are planning to move to AL this summer so I wonder how big of a deal it is to get a religious exemption. We have vaxed our children since we hadn't done any research on the safety of vaccines. But after our findings, we no longer feel they are worth the risk to our children's health and want to get any more. We have strong feelings concerning this but our religion does not state that we can't or shouldn't get them. However, we have other personal beliefs that our church doesn't hold either... My other thing is that I'm expecting another child due in Nov. Previously, we always did what the docs told us needed to be done, however this time we know we don't want our baby to be given the routine Hep b shot or the eye antibiotic unless there is an infection present that would deem it necessary. I'm not certain about the Vit K shot as I've not read about the risks of that, yet. But my question is, will they question my religious exemption if my other decisions don't follow a certain plan. I've read some states don't let you pick and choose, it's an all or nothing deal. Does that pertain just to vaccines or other medical procedures? I hope that makes sense.

Thanks!
#2 of 3 Old 04-22-2008, 01:53 PM

A religious exemption is used for daycare/school. In a hospital setting, I'm not sure what I'd do - you can refuse things, it doesn't have to be on a religious basis. You could always tell them you are delaying the Hep B until the 1 month appt. How would the nursing staff ever know if you followed up or not?

A religious exemption in daycare/school is all or nothing. So when you fill out the state medical form for school, the vaccine section is left blank. However, technically you could deviate from that and just not let the schools know and work something out with your doctor. Having to do this sort of thing is ridiculous IMO and why there should be a philisophical exemption in every state.
#3 of 3 Old 04-23-2008, 09:59 AM

Congrats on your pregnancy, I am due in November as well. I wasnt as informed when my son was born last year, but will be taking all sorts of precautions this time around. I plan to bring in the babies clothes from home and NOT use the hospital garments, this way I can write in BIG BOLD BLACK LETTERS NO HEP B OR VIT K!!!! Plus the baby with not leave my sight, and if its a boy, and has to go for his cir, SOmeone will go along as well, if not ME. And if you find out they do hep b or vit K, because they have to document it, call your lawyer immediately. Since you specifically stated on forms and it was in plain sight that you wanted NO shots, and they did it anyway, they will have major consequenses to deal with.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page