Non-vaxxers, what happens if you are visiting a no exemption state? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-05-2008, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My kids are both vax-free. The state we live in has religious exemptions, but dh and I were planning on leaving the kids with my mom in West Virginia for a few days to go away for our anniversary. We are really reluctant to do so though, because there is only medical exemptions there. What happens if the kids get sick and she ends up in the er? Does our religious exemption carry over even if we are traveling in a no exemption state?

My mom knows what to say if she is asked if they are up to date on their vaccinations etc. etc., but what if some over the top md or nurse decided to push the topic and calls cps or something. I told my mom that this happens sometimes, and she said, "why in the world would they do something like that?!". So, though she will definitely back up our decisions, I don't think she would know what to do in such a circumstance.

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2008, 12:15 PM

as far as i know, there is no law that mandates vaccines for anything except school, so the exemption only applies to your kids being "allowed" to attend school. so i would say as long as your mother knows/understands your wishes, it shouldn't be a problem. i'd have your mom brush up on her/your kids' legal rights, though, because i agree that pushy nurses/docs can use some serious scare tactics when it comes to vaccines!

on the other hand, if you're only going to be gone for a few days, what are the chances that your kids will get sick enough to go to the hospital in that amount of time? i understand you want to cover all your bases, though! good luck!

Adoring wife to my DH since 9/04, SAHM to biggrinbounce.gifDS(9/07)
stork-suprise.gif due 2/3/2011joy.gif
Old 05-05-2008, 12:28 PM

you should draft a Special Power Of Attorney To Act "In Loco Parentis" for your mom to cover your children while they are with her. I advise you to list that no vaccinations are to be given, under any circumstances (if that is how you feel).

IN WV, they require: Two witnesses and a notary are required for a living will. Medical power of attorney for health care also requires two witnesses and a notary (i would follow the same for a special POA).

be sure to be very specific about dates (only those dates that you are going to be gone..what if somethign delays you...you may want to make it for a month just in case...or a few weeks...).

this page has a little bit about it: http://www.operationhomefront.org/Be...egal_poa.shtml

no reason i found it on that page. it just seems to explain it in better terms than the legal sites.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:10 PM

Vaccines are only mandated for school and daycare- not for mere existence in the state. No worries.

If you homeschooled there and didn't vax there would be no concern either.

-Angela
Old 05-05-2008, 01:20 PM

Exactly. There's nothing special needed. Vaccinations are mandated for school entrance--which is when you'll use your exemption. They don't need an exemption simply for crossing state lines or being alive in a state with medical only.

No worries!
Old 05-05-2008, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Yay! Thanks for the info. I feel much better. I felt a wee bit silly not knowing, but you hear so many scary stories, I wanted to be sure. I think I will definitely do the POA while we are gone. Thanks!

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

User Tag List